Sign in to follow this  
Maureen T-k

Match thread versus York

Recommended Posts

ROVERS skipper Ian Hardman looks set to make his first appearance of the year after being included in head coach John Duffy’s 19-man squad ahead of Featherstone’s friendly encounter against York City Knights (kick-off 3.00pm).

The Rovers will be looking to continue their unbeaten pre-season run, having recorded victories over Castleford and Halifax in recent weeks.

Hardman has overcome a minor injury and is back in the fray, alongside John Davies and Scott Wheeldon.

New signing Gareth Hock will sit out the warm-up contest, as will James Lockwood and Keal Carlile.

The pair are being rested while Hock works towards full match fitness. Jason Walton (knee) and Chris Ulugia (shoulder) remain sidelined, although Ulugia has now returned to full training.

The 19-Man Squad: Anthony Thackeray, Brad Knowles, Connor Farrell, Danny Maskill, Frankie Mariano, Gareth Gale, John Davies, Josh Hardcastle, Ian Hardman, Luke Briscoe, Luke Cooper, Martyn Ridyard, Matty Wildie, Misi Taulapapa, Richard Moore, Sam Brooks, Scott Wheeldon, Shaun Robinson, Tom Holmes.

Tickets are priced at £10 (adults), £8 (concessions) and £5 (juniors).

Admission can be gained via the turnstiles, when purchasing tickets from the Ticket Office situated close to the main gates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most interesting thing on Sunday might be how Thackeray's used. Presumably Hardman being renamed captain implies he's going to be on the field, and presumably at full back.

Ridyard is always likely to be one of the first names on the teamsheet and it seems very likely that Holmes gets a good crack at the other half back position.

Best guess is Thackeray is first in line to cover all three positions? In an average year that could still see him play 20+ games of course once injuries kick in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Most interesting thing on Sunday might be how Thackeray's used. Presumably Hardman being renamed captain implies he's going to be on the field, and presumably at full back.

Ridyard is always likely to be one of the first names on the teamsheet and it seems very likely that Holmes gets a good crack at the other half back position.

Best guess is Thackeray is first in line to cover all three positions? In an average year that could still see him play 20+ games of course once injuries kick in.

My first thought too.

I think maybe Hardman at FB Ridyard & HOlmes HB and Wildie Hooker in the starting XIII and then Thacks off the bench sharing with Wildie, but also mixing it up with the HBs..

Another possibility would see Thacks continue at FB and Hardman at centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see Misi on the wing, which is his best position, and another look at Gareth Gale at centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect to see Hardman in a new role of loose forward 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I would like to see Misi on the wing, which is his best position, and another look at Gareth Gale at centre.

I agree wing is Misi's best position, but who would you drop out of Briscoe and Robinson? Briscoe's game is really developing and he was becoming almost Misi-like in his ability to win penalties last season, whilst Robinson has shown plenty of promise and also been earning penalties for us in his two friendly games so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to have so much competition for places, and sounds like Duffy is keen for players to slot into different roles too.  Reminds me of the approach that Saints used to take when they were still exciting to watch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

My first thought too.

I think maybe Hardman at FB Ridyard & HOlmes HB and Wildie Hooker in the starting XIII and then Thacks off the bench sharing with Wildie, but also mixing it up with the HBs..

Another possibility would see Thacks continue at FB and Hardman at centre.

Maybe maskill will get a run at 9 with wilde?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we recently come into more money? The earnings were about same last year but we didn't go into the market like we are doing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its pussibly due to marketing and Sponsorship.I have been to the Club shop three times over the Christmas period to spend a decent amount of money and found the shop busy with lines sold out and awaiting new deliveries and I have never known a high amount of high spending companies coming on board with a lot of new names which is largely down to Dave Longo and his staff and long may it continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper this game should be just as much of a test as Halifax, all bar one of York's starting 13 have come down to League 1 having played in the Championship in the last couple of years (with a couple having played for SL teams) and there will be plenty of familiar names in their line-up, including our former faves Andy Ellis and Tim Spears. Hope the weather doesn't spoil it but forecast doesn't look great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Maybe maskill will get a run at 9 with wilde?

Yes, that would be interesting. Of the little we have seen of him he's played second row though it's hard to judge sometimes with players juggling positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes, that would be interesting. Of the little we have seen of him he's played second row though it's hard to judge sometimes with players juggling positions.

Said in his interview other day, hes not played in his natural position yet, so think tommorow probably the last chance to give him a go. As we will probably want to be at full pelt for leeds friday, ready for the league starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I would like to see Misi on the wing, which is his best position, and another look at Gareth Gale at centre.

Completely agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PonteBlue said:

Think Hardo best in club under high ball. Not the pace for wing so fullback or centre for me.

I totally agree, he fills you with confidence when under the high ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On paper this game should be just as much of a test as Halifax, all bar one of York's starting 13 have come down to League 1 having played in the Championship in the last couple of years (with a couple having played for SL teams) and there will be plenty of familiar names in their line-up, including our former faves Andy Ellis and Tim Spears. Hope the weather doesn't spoil it but forecast doesn't look great.

Is the game still on?. Coming down in bucketfuls in my quarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be a good workout for you boys against a much stronger knights outfit than when we met this time last year.

Here's to a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever is going make sure you get wrapped up well as it’s absolutely freezing out there.Had to pack up early today whilst fishing due to not having any feeling in my hands even though I had gloves on .Good luck to the boys .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing.? Today???

Book a session with me **** lad. Thaz a man in need of help!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

Ps. Is P.i.k.e.y a swear word???

Edited by Robin Evans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still suffering from the bug that's going the rounds. Hope to be better next week. Over a fortnight now. Really missing my rugby. Hope to be of some help in some quarter this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.