Sign in to follow this  
The 4 of Us

Bradford Bulls and RFL settle dispute

Not good for people hoping the RFL would be ripped to pieces and exposed by court proceedings. 

• Like 2

There was only 46 individuals involved and the only official word was from the judge who decided there was an ' absurd technicality ' 

from the RFL about their proposals.

So no Greater Transparency - http://www.rugby-league.com/article/51561/rugby-football-league-meets-all-requirements-of-new-code-for-sports-governance

and from the same case another individual,Green, enters our sport - leaves a club in a mess - and sails off into the sunset,unmolested.

I await further controversies in 2018...

Pleased for the Bradford fans,though.

"Eve of Hearing" settlement. I guess the outcome both expected and hoped-for?  Someone will have blinked first, no doubt - as almost always happens. Whether anything of what has been involved will ever get out probably depends on how effective the inevitable NDAs are? I can speculate, as can everyone else. But the main thing now surely is that everyone can move on (if, indeed, they have not already done so) and maybe actually start looking to the future for a change!

And hopefully this is the final act in the long-running tragic saga, and the only entertainment the Bulls will give the game and its followers in future will be on the field.  And those who seem to take a delight in having a go at the Bulls and Bulls supporters at every turn will need to go find another target.

• Like 8

I am with you there Adey.I believe everything you hear from now on will be mere speculation.as you say now it is time to move on.I think you are quite correct in your assumption that maybe some have.I doubt very much that John Kear wouls have left a secure position to take another position without knowing the security the job was providing.Time to let it go.Onwards and Upwards hopefully now for the Bulls.The supporters certainly deserve it for their undying support over years of uncertainty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Not good for people hoping the RFL would be ripped to pieces and exposed by court proceedings. 

I think they would have been disapointed either way? Either the RFL would have believed its position was a strong one, so fighting the case would more likely have seen the other side ripped up - hence the other side settling OOC before the hearing - or if not, the RFL would invariably settle OOC before the hearing?  In both cases, leaving those who were relishing a big public blow-up frustrated?

And the rest of us just relieved that one more off-field embarrassment for the game has been eliminated.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

And hopefully this is the final act in the long-running tragic saga, and the only entertainment the Bulls will give the game and its followers in future will be on the field.

Amen to that!

If the 46 have received any payment no doubt that will leak in due course and of course the RFL accounts will have to show any payment if one has been made

BTW love the way that this was issued just after 4.30pm on a Friday. Seems like the "normal" time for an RFL press release trying to bury news. 

And on the downside Rimmer will be able to claim it as his success in his application to be top man at the RFL

1 hour ago, Adeybull said:

"Eve of Hearing" settlement. I guess the outcome both expected and hoped-for?  Someone will have blinked first, no doubt - as almost always happens. Whether anything of what has been involved will ever get out probably depends on how effective the inevitable NDAs are? I can speculate, as can everyone else. But the main thing now surely is that everyone can move on (if, indeed, they have not already done so) and maybe actually start looking to the future for a change!

And hopefully this is the final act in the long-running tragic saga, and the only entertainment the Bulls will give the game and its followers in future will be on the field.  And those who seem to take a delight in having a go at the Bulls and Bulls supporters at every turn will need to go find another target.

They have and its Toronto...but we are ready, willing and able!

57 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Time to let it go.Onwards and Upwards hopefully now for the Bulls.The supporters certainly deserve it for their undying support over years of uncertainty.

Well said.  Fascinating as the backgrond could be this is an expected solution that should reduce cost, upset and uncertainty. 

This sounds like good news for the people involved, and for the game as the RFL can focus on other matters and other clubs. It must be a very gratifying way for the long suffering RFL to head off into the week end. 

38 minutes ago, LeeF said:

If the 46 have received any payment no doubt that will leak in due course and of course the RFL accounts will have to show any payment if one has been made

BTW love the way that this was issued just after 4.30pm on a Friday. Seems like the "normal" time for an RFL press release trying to bury news. 

And on the downside Rimmer will be able to claim it as his success in his application to be top man at the RFL

I think it is pretty clear from the wording of the announcement that a settlement must have been reached with the Claimants? Something is bound to leak round the edges, but if the inevitable confidentiality clauses are well-structured and enforced, any claimant opening his mouth will surely be an idiot?  As for whether the RFL accounts will disclose the amount of the settlement, speaking as an accountant I very much suspect that it will not require (or will escape) separate disclosure, to be honest.  I hope I am right, since I doubt any good would be done by disclosure.  Those who need to know will doubtless know or will be informed.

Whether Wood's departure is in an way connected, and how it reflects on Rimmer, are again things I doubt those beyond those who need to know will ever find out?  And very much for the best, I think, since the last thing the game needed or needs is all this in the public domain, for the game's enemies to target!

The timing?  Exactly the timing I would have expected for an OOC settlement, given the date of the hearing, tbh, and so not really anything underhand or sinister. 

Edited by Adeybull
  • Like 1

Incidentally, and regarding moving on. John Kear came and addressed the Bullbuilder AGM last night. I am sure all those who were there will confirm, he is one hell of a motivational guy. Probably the most uplifting talk I can remember in over 20 years of close engagement with senior Bulls personnel. 

You very much feel the corner HAS been turned - stadium issues notwithstanding. The meeting was at the excellent Tong training centre, and I defy anyone going there not to be impressed. Kear reckons it is on a par with the top 6 in SL. What struck me the most was the general mood and attitude of the players (all grades) there.  Came across as more positive and upbeat than I can remember, certainly in recent times. Very uplifting.

Kear said that he believed in "5 or 6 years" the club would be back in SL. He added (I paraphrase) "Not where we belong - that would be conceited and very wrong to suggest that - but by earning our place there".

I don't think Bulls supporters could ask for more?

Edited by Adeybull
Typo.
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Top 6 in SL? So what are the top 6?

He was referring to the top 6 training facilities.

3 hours ago, Adeybull said:

Incidentally, and regarding moving on. John Kear came and addressed the Bullbuilder AGM last night. I am sure all those who were there will confirm, he is one hell of a motivational guy. Probably the most uplifting talk I can remember in over 20 years of close engagement with senior Bulls personnel. 

You very much feel the corner HAS been turned - stadium issues notwithstanding. The meeting was at the excellent Tong training centre, and I defy anyone going there not to be impressed. Kear reckons it is on a par with the top 6 in SL. What struck me the most was the general mood and attitude of the players (all grades) there.  Came across as more positive and upbeat than I can remember, certainly in recent times. Very uplifting.

Kear said that he believed in "5 or 6 years" the club would be back in SL. He added (I paraphrase) "Not where we belong - that would be conceited and very wrong to suggest that - but by earning our place there".

I don't think Bulls supporters could ask for more?

What Adeybull said. 

The appointment of John Kear has certainly injected a lot of positivity around Odsal and Tong.

I hope all the Bullbuilder members enjoyed the tour of the club's Tong centre facilities last night. 

5 hours ago, Adeybull said:

He was referring to the top 6 training facilities.

So what are they then?

4 hours ago, Manx RL said:

So what are they then?

Why are you asking me? I merely repeat what he said. 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully that's that and the Bulls can now move on. Like Adeybull, I doubt if we'll ever know what the settlement is, accountants are very good at burying things in the fiscal undergrowth -when I worked for the Post Office (as it was then) back in the pre-Thatcher days, to stop the Treasury getting its sticky paws on our money we used to rig the accounts in the telephone side's capital depreciation. Now, about Odsal, Horsfall and the Sports Centre...............

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Hopefully that's that and the Bulls can now move on. Like Adeybull, I doubt if we'll ever know what the settlement is, accountants are very good at burying things in the fiscal undergrowth -when I worked for the Post Office (as it was then) back in the pre-Thatcher days, to stop the Treasury getting its sticky paws on our money we used to rig the accounts in the telephone side's capital depreciation. Now, about Odsal, Horsfall and the Sports Centre...............

That’s interesting...because I used to audit one of the telephone regions for several years not long before privatisation. Must admit, I had no conception before then just how...er...different...government “accounting” was to the commercial world! Unbelievable tales I could tell.

As for those other issues...at least give Bulls supporters a few days to ignore that elephant in the room first...? 😎

We are apparently signing a new player next week, so the club must have emerged relatively unscathed by the settlement of the claim.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

We are apparently signing a new player next week, so the club must have emerged relatively unscathed by the settlement of the claim.

Andrew Chalmers is joining me on commentary duty at Dewsbury Rams tomorrow afternoon. 

Some exciting announcements on the horizon. 

6 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Andrew Chalmers is joining me on commentary duty at Dewsbury Rams tomorrow afternoon. 

Some exciting announcements on the horizon. 

Well his I assume summing up commentary will not say much just like his announcement's on what the Club is doing!

I expect Duffy will be worried you'll learn something before he does! check for bugs Mick when you get in the box!  ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Well his I assume summing up commentary will not say much just like his announcement's on what the Club is doing!

I expect Duffy will be worried you'll learn something before he does! check for bugs Mick when you get in the box!  ;)

It's more a bench than a box at Dewsbury. 

I've had to sign a NDA, so my lips are firmly sealed. 

Edited by Michael Gledhill