Sign in to follow this  
Huncho Kallum

Week 1 - Starting Lineups

With the 2018 season nearly upon us, and the vast majority of teams squads finalised, it would be good to hear from respective teams fans some predictied starting lineups. 

Personally as a Rhinos fan I’m expecting to see the below march out at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on the 1st of Feb. 

Leeds Rhinos: 

Walker

Hall

Suttcliffe

Watkins*

Briscoe

Moon

Meyler 

Cuthbertson

Parrcell

Singleton

Ablett

JJB

Ward (If passed fit)

Subs: 

Peteru

Garbutt

Keinhorst

Dwyer

Edited by Huncho Kallum

That Leeds side shouldn’t strike fear into opposing sides. Although I think Watkins and hall could have big seasons.

3 hours ago, Huncho Kallum said:

With the 2018 season nearly upon us, and the vast majority of teams squads finalised, it would be good to hear from respective teams fans some predictied starting lineups. 

Personally as a Rhinos fan I’m expecting to see the below march out at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on the 1st of Feb. 

Leeds Rhinos: 

Walker

Hall

Suttcliffe

Watkins*

Briscoe

Moon

Meyler 

Cuthbertson

Parrcell

Singleton

Ablett

JJB

Ward (If passed fit)

Subs: 

Peteru

Garbutt

Keinhorst

Dwyer

Think leeds will be

1.Walker 2.Briscoe 3.Watkins (cap,kicker) 4.Sutcliffe 5.Hall 6.Moon 7.Myler 8.Garbutt 9.Parcell 10.Singleton 11.Ward 12.JJB 13.Cuthbertson   14.Dwyer 15.Peteru 16.Mullally  17.Ablett

39 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

That Leeds side shouldn’t strike fear into opposing sides. Although I think Watkins and hall could have big seasons.

Its as good as any other in superleague

8 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Its as good as any other in superleague

Sure and I should of said that in my comment. I think super league is wide open this year not because all of the top 4-5 teams are as strong as each other but because they are as weak as each other compared to teams in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walter sobchak said:

Sure and I should of said that in my comment. I think super league is wide open this year not because all of the top 4-5 teams are as strong as each other but because they are as weak as each other compared to teams in the past.

Very good point Walter, in other threads on different subjects but still arriving at the same point, I have voiced my opinion that we are not producing enough quality players to satisfy our requirements of SL quality players, (as it happens a fact not missed by some SL Chairmen) also the players we entice from the Southern Hemisphere are just the ones that are surplus to the requirement of the NRL clubs, i.e. not deemed good enough by the clubs and coaches to perform at that level. 

With the advent of new teams who will be in the market for the same players, something will have to give, will the Chairmen, Sponsers and Fans accept and be prepared that we will have not just a little drop in the standard of the product but maybe a very noticable one, it is not rocket science to see that any holes that will have to be filled in teams for the reason they may lose personell to the wider market for the commodities - the players - that hole will have to be filled by those players from the standards below, that is across the board, the NRL will not release players, so we will get those even below the standard we get now, SL player's may be lost to their present teams, Championship player's will step up, C1 etc, etc.

Interesting times ahead.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very good point Walter, in other threads on different subjects but still arriving at the same point, I have voiced my opinion that we are not producing enough quality players to satisfy our requirements of SL quality players, (as it happens a fact not missed by some SL Chairmen) also the players we entice from the Southern Hemisphere are just the ones that are surplus to the requirement of the NRL clubs, i.e. not deemed good enough by the clubs and coaches to perform at that level. 

With the advent of new teams who will be in the market for the same players, something will have to give, will the Chairmen, Sponsers and Fans accept and be prepared that we will have not just a little drop in the standard of the product but maybe a very noticable one, it is not rocket science to see that any holes that will have to be filled in teams for the reason they may lose personell to the wider market for the commodities - the players - that hole will have to be filled by those players from the standards below, that is across the board, the NRL will not release players, so we will get those even below the standard we get now, SL player's may be lost to their present teams, Championship player's will step up, C1 etc, etc.

Interesting times ahead.

The obvious answer is to increase the talent and playing pool in this country in order to produce more super league standard English/British players at grassroots level. Arriving at this and achieving this is another thing all together as it will take time, money and forward planning from clubs which all to many unfortunately lack. I’m convinced that some clubs just sign over The Hill and poor standard overseas players for the sake of it and know no better rather than investing the money long term developing English local talent.

I’m all for expansion of RL both in the U.K. and abroad but I’m also adamant that there is untapped talent waiting to be discovered in areas closer to the heartlands and not just in big northern cities like Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool. Places like Bolton, Blackburn, Preston and Lancaster etc are literally down the road from professional and semi-professional RL teams and strong amateur teams. Just think how far £20,000-£25,000 a year could go if that money was invested in developing RL in schools in and around the Bolton area for example or even better helping to setup a amateur side or 2 in the same area with age groups from u9’ right through to u17’ etc.

• Like 1

I think we are both wise enough to agree that what you say is paramount to the game going forward, but the reality is the clubs themselves are the demon's in the piece.

All this talk of a closed shop will also help to develop player's is also bunkum, apart from the obvious fact that certain clubs will always want to play their best to avoid the drop, there is also the fear from the top clubs that they will not win the prizes, they will also endeavor to buy the best, and play their best.

Unless their is a firm directive that clubs are required to apportion X amount to the development cause, well above their present contribution it will never change.

Ok, I'm not a Saints fan or anything but I guess their round 1 squad will look like this:

1. Barba

2. Makinson

3. Morgan

4. Percival

5. Grace

6. Lomax

7. Smith

8. Amor

9. Roby

10. Douglas

11. Taia

12. Wilkin

13. LMS

-

14. Fages

15. Knowles

16. Walmsley

17. Peyroux

-

18. Thompson

19. Richardson

The Hull 17 I would pick, although I think Radford will go slightly different.

Shaul

Faraimo

Connor

Tuimavave

Talanoa

Kelly

Sneyd

Taylor

Houghton

Paea

Hadley

Manu

Watts

Bench:

Bowden, Green, Minichiello, Abdul

Saints and hull F.C. lineups look strong and they will be the teams to beat this year for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Think leeds will be

1.Walker 2.Briscoe 3.Watkins (cap,kicker) 4.Sutcliffe 5.Hall 6.Moon 7.Myler 8.Garbutt 9.Parcell 10.Singleton 11.Ward 12.JJB 13.Cuthbertson   14.Dwyer 15.Peteru 16.Mullally  17.Ablett

Is Ash Golding injured or do you just think McDermott will pick Walker?

Warrington maybe:

Ratchford

Lineham

Goodwin

Atkins

Russell

Brown

Roberts

Hill

Clark

Cooper

Currie

Hughes

Masilla

Subs

Smith

Akauola

Crosby

Westwood

Some young talent outside that 17 too

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

Is Ash Golding injured or do you just think McDermott will pick Walker?

Goldings fit but i think we'l go with walker. Performance wise last season its a no brainer imo, walker was considerably better and was really good in the GF.  But mcdermott loves goldings work ethic and attitude, so it will be probably a closer call than it should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Warrington maybe:

Ratchford

Lineham

Goodwin

Atkins

Russell

Brown

Roberts

Hill

Clark

Cooper

Currie

Hughes

Masilla

Subs

Smith

Akauola

Crosby

Westwood

Some young talent outside that 17 too

That looks a good side 

9 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

That looks a good side 

Depends a lot on the halves clicking i think.

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Saints and hull F.C. lineups look strong and they will be the teams to beat this year for me.

Strong or just not quite as weak as the rest?

Agree on saints, iv got them for LLS, the improvement they made under Holbrook last season was impressive, with a full off season for him to implement his ideas, i think they'l be good.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

True, can never judge how a player will settle but roberts is class imo, if he does settle he'l be one of the best halfs in the comp.

8 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Strong or just not quite as weak as the rest?

Agree on saints, iv got them for LLS, the improvement they made under Holbrook last season was impressive, with a full off season for him to implement his ideas, i think they'l be good.

Just not as weak as the rest. On paper saints and hull F.C. have the strongest squads and I’d expect them to be in the top 2 and after that it’s wideopen for 3rd to 8th. 

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Looking forward to seeing Roberts, with Brown pulling the strings he looks like someone who plays on instinct, we have been far too predictable recently. Crosby won't be fit, with Philbin and G King possible bench players. Mitch brown might shift one of the wingers. 

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

Looking forward to seeing Roberts, with Brown pulling the strings he looks like someone who plays on instinct, we have been far too predictable recently. Crosby won't be fit, with Philbin and G King possible bench players. Mitch brown might shift one of the wingers. 

Am i right in saying that Roberts and Akuoala havent played in pre-season and that is us now done? 

2 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Interested to see Livett too and whether Patton can do a job when needed. 

Why do you say Crosby wont be fit?

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Interested to see Livett too and whether Patton can do a job when needed. 

Why do you say Crosby wont be fit?

Warrington guardian quoted he was not fit. Patton has a hamstring problem but I agree on Livett he will be pushing some of the first choice players, he is going to be a star. Yes on Roberts and Akauola, would have preferred to see them in a warm up but expect them to play. 

Edited by ELBOWSEYE
  • Thanks 1