Sign in to follow this  
Robin Evans

Reight.... who's been to Corsica...

30 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Looks amazing on telly....

Been watching the Hairy Bikers?

Yes.... but I've fancied it for ages. Never done Corsica tho I'm a serious francophile. I go to France at least 3 times a year excluding rugby jollies up.

But I've read loads about Corsica and the bikers just reinforced my yearning as it were....

Though as it's January.... even calais is appealing

40 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Yes.... but I've fancied it for ages. Never done Corsica tho I'm a serious francophile. I go to France at least 3 times a year excluding rugby jollies up.

But I've read loads about Corsica and the bikers just reinforced my yearning as it were....

There was a thread on here a while back about RL being played in Corsica. Could have been a good excuse for you ūüėČ

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I quite fancy Corsica, and Sardinia for that matter. Nowt at all planned for this year yet, which isn't like us.

When I went 25+ years ago, I really liked the place. 

Plenty of places to explore and some cracking countryside and walking. Pretty hot in the summer, so not the best time for walking etc for fair skinned feckers like me.Spring is good for walking.

The Corsicans are keen on their identity and difference from mainland France. I can't recall many bombings of tourist spots in recent years.

Corsica is on the radar to visit, especially one of the GR long-distance walking trails. Have heard the facilities at the mountain huts are more spartan than European mainland

10 hours ago, longboard said:

When I went 25+ years ago, I really liked the place. 

Plenty of places to explore and some cracking countryside and walking. Pretty hot in the summer, so not the best time for walking etc for fair skinned feckers like me.Spring is good for walking.

The Corsicans are keen on their identity and difference from mainland France. I can't recall many bombings of tourist spots in recent years.

Yep Robin the ginger would need a big hat , or a parasol 

Thinking of either later spring or early autumn. I did northern Cyprus in 2012.... the last year our friends had to take school hols.... I might as well have stayed indoors under the aircon it was that hot. 

I'm a massive francophile but never done Corsica. The more I see the more I fancy it

Yes Steve.... I would need a big hat. Us ginners tend to go scarlet when exposed to the moon never mind the Sun!!

Edited by Robin Evans

Did a two week walking holiday in Corsica in June 1999.

Splendid place. Wasn't walking in the high mountains, just day walks from a base.

First week in Calvi on the north coast. Nice beaches, good solid hills inland to walk in.

Second week in Corte in the middle of the island. Lovely town, much more rustic and rugged. Some great walking, but again not on the very high peaks that form the backbone of the island.

Lots of local cuisine of interest, the locals liked their hunting.

I also proposed to Mrs HPR there so memories are very fond of the place.

All very beautiful, will certainly return there one day.

On 19/01/2018 at 7:47 PM, gazza77 said:

Been watching the Hairy Bikers?

I watched that episode over the weekend - it looked an amazing place.

On ‚Äé1‚Äé/‚Äé19‚Äé/‚Äé2018 at 9:13 PM, gazza77 said:

I quite fancy Corsica, and Sardinia for that matter. Nowt at all planned for this year yet, which isn't like us.

Been to Sardinia,  Olbia to be precise, for four hours on a cruise.  Didn't really see much.  It was hot though, for late September.  That was the trouble with that cruise, the only places we really saw were Messina (went to Taormina) and Naples (went to Pompeii - brill)

Been twice to Corsica on cruises so didn't see too much of it I wasn't paying through the nose for shipboard trips, they certainly love their Boney.

I have been to Corsica twice, once with my brother to I'lle Rousse, near Calvi, on the North Coast in 1987, and had an amazing time, it really made an impression on both of us, so much he moved there for 5 years in 1994.

Then I went to just outside Porto Vecchio in 2007 with my partner, in the October, and found the people just as friendly as they were 20 years earlier. It is known as L'isle d'beaute, the Beautiful Island, for a reason. 

Among the things I would suggest you do is a Mountain trip (but don't forget what time the coach returns, they won't wait), do a southern boat trip, or a boat trip to Sardinia.

The beaches are amazing and among the best I have ever been on.

Food is amazing.

It can be expensive though, when you remember the South of France can get expensive, and a lot of stuff is imported from the South to the Island.

If you like star-gazing, it has some of the least light-polluted skies in the Med.

I've been to most of the larger places in Corsica - it's French  but (very) independent-minded. The sort of place Rugby League might thrive if it was native to the area.

We once did a drive right up the spine of the island from Bonifacio (which is absolutely stunning, especially to sail into) up to Bastia in the north, calling in at a couple of places en-route which routinely had excellent food and great views. A couple of years after that we took the train from Ajaccio to Calvi which was a stunning ride up into the mountains before declining down to the seafronts past Ile Rousse.

It's a great place and thoroughly worth going to for the food and the scenery.