Tattersfieldtreiziste

If Carlsberg did pre-season friendlies...

....then they could be no better than tonight's game in Coventry against Leeds Rhinos. 

Over150 people enjoying pre match hospitality, great atmosphere, a crowd of 1294 on a freezing cold night. Bar heaving afterwards.

This was a game to celebrate the Bears 20 years of existence while also commemorating Leeds record 102-0 victory over the erstwhile Coventry northern union team in 1913.

But this was a glimpse into the future, and how Coventry can take it's place in this game. 

And the score: 14-70, but who's counting?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Very much enjoyed the game. Some of the Leeds fringe players showed their class. Fitness was a massive difference tonight but that not really surprising. Holroyd looks like a very promising player for Leeds. Coventry gave it a good go scoring some nice tries. This game was never going to be about the result and it was a win win for all parties, Leeds players pushing for more appearances and Coventry getting in a big crowd. Very well done to the Bears. More excited about the season now. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would say that's a little harsh on Coventry really, a number of 1st team squad players in for Leeds with some very promising youngsters. Coventry were never going to be close to Leeds on the score board. 

8 minutes ago, From the Woo said:

I would say that's a little harsh on Coventry really, a number of 1st team squad players in for Leeds with some very promising youngsters. Coventry were never going to be close to Leeds on the score board. 

They had Handley, Lilley, Josh Walters and a bunch of u19s, in fact a few of them actually played for England u16s last year. I would expect a scoreline like this against Leeds first team, not the u19s. Disappointing to see these teams continually failing to make any progress at all on the field.

11 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Sounds like a good event off the field but disappointing to see both Coventry and London Skolars hammered by u19s teams.

I’ve been to the Skolars game the last 4 years & today’s was a disappointing performance from a Skolars team that seem to be suffering from senior players leaving/retiring & newer players needing time to get to know each other.

However to quote another thread ‘This year Wigan brought 13 first team squad members and  of those 7 have played in SL. Hardly an under19 side. ‘ it’s not surprising that Wigan performed so dominantly.

Credit needs to go to both Skolars & Coventry for arranging these fixtures & testing themselves against superior opposition - not only raises the profile of the game, but also gives kids in London & Coventry an viable alternative to union.

Much respect for Wigan/Leeds to get involved with supporting the lower division too.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

I’ve been to the Skolars game the last 4 years & today’s was a disappointing performance from a Skolars team that seem to be suffering from senior players leaving/retiring & newer players needing time to get to know each other.

However to quote another thread ‘This year Wigan brought 13 first team squad members and  of those 7 have played in SL. Hardly an under19 side. ‘ it’s not surprising that Wigan performed so dominantly.

Credit needs to go to both Skolars & Coventry for arranging these fixtures & testing themselves against superior opposition - not only raises the profile of the game, but also gives kids in London & Coventry an viable alternative to union.

Much respect for Wigan/Leeds to get involved with supporting the lower division too.

Wigan XIII: Craig Mullen, Joe Brown, Jack Higginson, James Worthington, Liam Marshall, Lewis Heckford, Josh Woods, Romain Navarrete, Josh Ganson, Caine Barnes, Liam Paisley, Macauley Davies, Samy Kibula.

Interchange: Joe Shorrocks, James Barran, Oliver Partington, Joe Bretherton, Nathan Wilde, Ben Kilner, Morgan Smithies, James McDonnell, Callum Green, Amir Bourouh, Reece Hamlett.

Looks like an u19s team to me apart from Marshall and Navarrete. The first team is playing Leigh on Sunday.

5 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

They had Handley, Lilley, Josh Walters and a bunch of u19s, in fact a few of them actually played for England u16s last year. I would expect a scoreline like this against Leeds first team, not the u19s. Disappointing to see these teams continually failing to make any progress at all on the field.

annoying person

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

annoying person

But, it is true KT, don't let facts get in the way of fantasy.

Why do these teams not measure themselves against the better teams from the NCL, I think we all know the answer to that one? Should they not perform convincingly and show a superiority on the field telling questions would be asked, should they suffer defeat, then that would be devastating.

I don’t think the big change of personnel helps Coventry. They rarely seem to keep the majority of their squad from one season to the next.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why do these teams not measure themselves against the better teams from the NCL, I think we all know the answer to that one? Should they not perform convincingly and show a superiority on the field telling questions would be asked, should they suffer defeat, then that would be devastating.

You're right in regards to the NCL but I think this was about getting some money in and you can't blame them really. Would have been nicer to have the scoreline a closer but instead at looking at the negative, the positive is the promising players Leeds have coming through. God knows what they are feeding some of these u19s. Oledzki is a beast. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Disappointing to see these teams continually failing to make any progress at all on the field.

that's the spirit!

lol

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And some also observe reality L.A.

This is true, the reality is that these clubs should be receiving massive help to move them on and develop faster in these outlying posts of RL, if that means taking money from "M62" clubs at all levels then so be it.

That is the reality.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, From the Woo said:

You're right in regards to the NCL but I think this was about getting some money in and you can't blame them really. Would have been nicer to have the scoreline a closer but instead at looking at the negative, the positive is the promising players Leeds have coming through. God knows what they are feeding some of these u19s. Oledzki is a beast. 

It’s Leeds Best U19s for many a year, they’ve got some really good prospects coming through 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Padge said:

This is true, the reality is that these clubs should be receiving massive help to move them on and develop faster in these outlying posts of RL, if that means taking money from "M62" clubs at all levels then so be it.

That is the reality.

Absolutely 100% correct, they can't just Hoover up lads that drop out of Leeds, Castleford or Wakefield academy

11 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

annoying person

So at what point is it not 'annoying' to acknowledge that these clubs are going nowhere? I love the community work and Coventry seem to be doing a great job of promoting themselves compared to most in the lower divisions, but it doesn't mean a lot if they're permanently stuck being flogged at the bottom of League 1. Again, great intentions but this isn't a charity, they're supposed to be professional clubs. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that it's 'progress' to have an uncompetitive team being hammered by 17 year olds that's up to you, I appreciate the struggles they face compared to heartland clubs but the truth is they've been in the league for years and are making no progress at all, at what point do we stop making excuses for them and acknowledge that they're not good enough and things need to change? Again, love the promotion that Coventry are doing, I just think a hell of a lot more people would be engaged if they had a club that wasn't a perennial non-entity on the field.

• Like 2

Leeds own report said they had 7 players with first team experience playing last night.

That Leeds academy team will have played lots of games together. Coventry had a lot of debutants last night.

Edited by Bearman
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Padge said:

That is the reality.

You mean a little like the Eskimo culture who leave the old out on the ice to perish, because no matter how great they once were, they offer no further use in the eyes of some. 

Develop faster than precisely what in these outlying outposts Padge? Maybe, just maybe over the years the money that has been 'wasted' in some of these places and instead used to develop the infrastructure in the regions of some "M62" clubs we could be in a much healthier position than we are now.

But it is all supposition Padge, you can't tell me that my suggestion is wrong, because it did not happen, just as I can't say to you it will be a waste of money, time and effort, investing in these outlying outposts, because we do not no if it will make a differance, history says it won't.

That is reality.

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wait for the Challenge Cup!

• Like 2

As regards the Skolars, the HAC game is always a great shop window for the club to promote itself to the City. I am sure that the great sponsors they get from this event help to fund the clubs activities during the season. The Skolars had 300 people at a pre match meal yesterday, most of whom I guess will not make a game at New River this season. Sponsors are out there but as the Skolars and Coventry show you have to get out there to get them. Skolars and Coventry showing the way. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

So at what point is it not 'annoying' to acknowledge that these clubs are going nowhere? I love the community work and Coventry seem to be doing a great job of promoting themselves compared to most in the lower divisions, but it doesn't mean a lot if they're permanently stuck being flogged at the bottom of League 1. Again, great intentions but this isn't a charity, they're supposed to be professional clubs. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that it's 'progress' to have an uncompetitive team being hammered by 17 year olds that's up to you, I appreciate the struggles they face compared to heartland clubs but the truth is they've been in the league for years and are making no progress at all, at what point do we stop making excuses for them and acknowledge that they're not good enough and things need to change? Again, love the promotion that Coventry are doing, I just think a hell of a lot more people would be engaged if they had a club that wasn't a perennial non-entity on the field.

Its honestly people like this that need to close their eyes and walk across the M1 or at least leave the sport.

The clue really is in the title of “pre season friendly” and the focus should be on;

- 1200+ people watching RL on a freezing Friday night in Coventry 

- Sold out hospitality 

- Coventry being able to offer the chance of playing semi pro RL to people outside the heartlards

All of the above is progression not the score.

Coventry Bears is some people’s life’s work, as a club they run on a budget that compares to Sam Burgess’s jock strap, they have never gone bust (see nearly every club anyone’s ever supported) don’t go cap in hand to the RFL and are hugely proactive in the community. This isn’t to also mention their relationships with local business’s and the university.

If more clubs acted in such a way (my own included) then the game wouldn’t be in such a state.

Quotes of the above imo are in the same narrow minded class as the bigots that kick and clap.

RL does not belong to the North, it’s anyones game that wants it.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

but the truth is they've been in the league for years and are making no progress at all

The truth is they’ve been in the league for three years.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Wait for the Challenge Cup!

Yes, there is no doubt that there are a lot of very good NCL teams that would give a stern test to league 1 clubs.

Its not surprising. They are full of players that have been in and around the pro set ups, they have played together for years and their individuals are of the standard to play semi pro. In a lot of cases the simple economics of the game dictate that it is not worth their while to join a distant league 1 club.

Last season a VERY good Toronto team ( that easily won League 1) struggled at Siddal.

It used to be rare for an " amatuer" team to beat a pro side, but that amatuer/pro distinction does not apply so much these days.

I would postulate that its not so much a sad affair that the league 1 teams are weak but more a cause of celebration that rugby league has so much strength in depth in the community game.

• Like 3