Success in North America

I just want to share my excitement regarding the North American expansion news.  I’m a Seppo who’s totally addicted to League   I’m constantly on this site and watching everything from the Footy Show (Love Beau Ryan) to Rugby AM those lads are spectacular.  I was watching French Rugby League today and I watch NRL, SL and USARL   I really really really like the Million Pound game.  This RLWC is awesome dude.  Rugby League will succeed in the USA.  With the right marketing it would appeal to a lot of people   I love matchups like St Helens vs Boston, New York vs London, Toronto vs Dublin, Philly vs Wigan.  I’ve only been following for 2 years   I’d had a lot of making up to do which is like sensory overload in a great way.  Things like (1) Marty Smith getting his eyelid ripped off (2) King Wally! (3) Jamie Peacock punching Willy Mason  I support the Toronto Wolfpack and Manly Sea Eagles.  I learn the sport from all of you.  And kudos to the Canadians for spearheading this.  Thanks! 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

I just want to share my excitement regarding the North American expansion news.  I’m a Seppo who’s totally addicted to League   I’m constantly on this site and watching everything from the Footy Show (Love Beau Ryan) to Rugby AM those lads are spectacular.  I was watching French Rugby League today and I watch NRL, SL and USARL   I really really really like the Million Pound game.  This RLWC is awesome dude.  Rugby League will succeed in the USA.  With the right marketing it would appeal to a lot of people   I love matchups like St Helens vs Boston, New York vs London, Toronto vs Dublin, Philly vs Wigan.  I’ve only been following for 2 years   I’d had a lot of making up to do which is like sensory overload in a great way.  Things like (1) Marty Smith getting his eyelid ripped off (2) King Wally! (3) Jamie Peacock punching Willy Mason  I support the Toronto Wolfpack and Manly Sea Eagles.  I learn the sport from all of you.  And kudos to the Canadians for spearheading this.  Thanks!

A serious question for you: How/why do you expect Bostonians and Philadelphians used to seeing teams from other big cities like Chicago and Los Angeles come to town regularly in other sports to care about matches against the likes of Wigan and St Helens which they've never even heard of before as compared with the likes of London which they have?

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

A serious question for you: How/why do you expect Bostonians and Philadelphians used to seeing teams from other big cities like Chicago and Los Angeles come to town regularly in other sports to care about matches against the likes of Wigan and St Helens which they've never even heard of before as compared with the likes of London which they have?

The EPL is pretty popular in the US, especially on the east coast. Some of their fans will have heard of Wigan. St Helens may need to add Liverpool to their name in time, if North America takes off? Leeds would be a known name too.

32 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's your team vs another team and you want your team to beat the other team. 

If you got lost anywhere in that long explanation let me know k. 

11 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It's your team vs another team and you want your team to beat the other team. 

If you got lost anywhere in that long explanation let me know k. 

You might not remember the CFL's ill-fated attempt at US expansion but I do.  In their coverage of that the Globe and Mail interviewed some of the curious Usonians who came out to see what it was about and one made a very telling remark.  He said, "Football (sic) is about rivalries.  How can you have rivalries with places you've never heard of?"

The idea of Wigan or St Helens being a draw in places like New York, Philadelphia, etc. is a fantasy.

30 minutes ago, westside said:

The EPL is pretty popular in the US, especially on the east coast. Some of their fans will have heard of Wigan. St Helens may need to add Liverpool to their name in time, if North America takes off? Leeds would be a known name too.

I suggest that none of those would as well known as London, Birmingham/Coventry, Manchester/Liverpool or Newcastle/Sheffield though.

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You might not remember the CFL's ill-fated attempt at US expansion but I do.  In their coverage of that the Globe and Mail interviewed some of the curious Usonians who came out to see what it was about and one made a very telling remark.  He said, "Football (sic) is about rivalries.  How can you have rivalries with places you've never heard of?"

The idea of Wigan or St Helens being a draw in places like New York, Philadelphia, etc. is a fantasy.

I suppose theyll adapt the marketing in a similar way Green Bay do , ie the Saints verses ' Philli ' and the Pies ;) verses New York 

1 hour ago, westside said:

Your dead right westside, these towns should change their names after all they have only been in existance as long ago as the Mayflower sailed into the baron lanscape full of buffalo droppings that was dubbed the 'New World'

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your dead right westside, these towns should change their names after all they have only been in existance as long ago as the Mayflower sailed into the baron lanscape full of buffalo droppings that was dubbed the 'New World'

And then the Americans kicked the British out because of their small minded and backwards policies. 

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

When will you guys over the water accept that London are hopeless, they will never reach the heights you think they are capable of in RL, they have been in existance nearly 40 years, play out of a community park, and have a loyal following of less than 1000, the game is not wanted by Londoners, they in the main are totally engrossed in other sports, and even though RL is played when the other major sports are not, they still cannot gain supporters, you had better get used to names like Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Hull etc, they are here to stay, on the other hand North American entities are yet to be born.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

When will you guys over the water accept that London are hopeless, they will never reach the heights you think they are capable of in RL, they have been in existance nearly 40 years, play out of a community park, and have a loyal following of less than 1000, the game is not wanted by Londoners, they in the main are totally engrossed in other sports, and even though RL is played when the other major sports are not, they still cannot gain supporters, you had better get used to names like Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Hull etc, they are here to stay, on the other hand North American entities are yet to be born.

Can we call the club the Broncos?

It makes it easier.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived