Sign in to follow this  
bar red

Player welfare.

The forum has discussed many times how many games should be played and the affect on player welfare. Instead of putting a limit on the clubs fixtures, put a limit on how many games a player can play in a season. Eg: 25 games a season. The coach would have to plan accordingly, would he play all his "best" players at the start of the season and then rest them until the play-offs or play them regularly throughout the season etc. Either way it would give younger players more regular 1st team football because it would be the team with the best overall squad and tactical coach that would be the most successful. It would encourage clubs to invest in youth and perhaps even the game out. It would also give us great Kudos in the press as the first sport to put player welfare first. Obviously there would be would be minutiae to work out but one thing we can agree on is we want to see all players as fresh as possible and not flogging them as we are now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bar red said:

The forum has discussed many times how many games should be played and the affect on player welfare. Instead of putting a limit on the clubs fixtures, put a limit on how many games a player can play in a season. Eg: 25 games a season. The coach would have to plan accordingly, would he play all his "best" players at the start of the season and then rest them until the play-offs or play them regularly throughout the season etc. Either way it would give younger players more regular 1st team football because it would be the team with the best overall squad and tactical coach that would be the most successful. It would encourage clubs to invest in youth and perhaps even the game out. It would also give us great Kudos in the press as the first sport to put player welfare first. Obviously there would be would be minutiae to work out but one thing we can agree on is we want to see all players as fresh as possible and not flogging them as we are now.

Good points and we won't really know the effects of needles and wear and tear until these guys are in their 40s/50s and struggle physically in daily life.

We probably need a partner where players can make a claim against a club's medical staff if they feel they are neglecting player welfare. We could remind them about it every time their team scores a disputed try perhaps? :ph34r: 

• Haha 2

I get your point. But just as all the coaches in Football at Xmas and RL at Easter ultimatly you are in the entertanment business which you get well paid for. If you are not happy or fear for your long term health you can choose a diffrent career. There is nothing stopping a coach/club from limiting thier players to a certain amount of games.

I now work a labour intensive job on nights which pays well. But I have developed a chronic back issue from years of working on my feet. which means I am proably going to have to look for a new job or decrease my hours, which will reduce my earnings. I dont expect my employer will give me the same money for half the work.

37 minutes ago, bar red said:

The problem is that chairmen wouldn't stand for rules restricting the number of games that their best paid players can play.

Another issue for me is the lack of a proper off season. Most clubs finish their seasons in September and some clubs are then playing on Boxing day and everyone starts pre season games in January. In the NRL teams don't start pre season until February. That extra month makes all the difference in terms of recovering from the previous season and preparing for the next.

Both the medical and scientific side of things have also moved on. Gone are the days of a magic sponge and a bucket of water.

The healing process starts within hours as opposed to days or even weeks.

Then again an injury can occur anywhere,splitting or saving players for the business end of the season is not what the fans pay for.

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Both the medical and scientific side of things have also moved on. Gone are the days of a magic sponge and a bucket of water.

Then again an injury can occur anywhere,splitting or saving players for the business end of the season is not what the fans pay for.

I remember when David Kidwell was playing for Souths, he tripped over one of his kids' toys in his lounge room, did his knee ligaments and missed the rest of the season after only 5 games with the Bunnies.

44 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I get your point. But just as all the coaches in Football at Xmas and RL at Easter ultimatly you are in the entertanment business which you get well paid for. If you are not happy or fear for your long term health you can choose a diffrent career. There is nothing stopping a coach/club from limiting thier players to a certain amount of games.

I now work a labour intensive job on nights which pays well. But I have developed a chronic back issue from years of working on my feet. which means I am proably going to have to look for a new job or decrease my hours, which will reduce my earnings. I dont expect my employer will give me the same money for half the work.

I agree with large parts of this. I have however advocated caps for number of games a player can play - mainly against those who say the answer is a shorter season.

I notice that the RLPA is being reborn and it will be interesting if they make this a priority.

On your point about nothing stopping this happening already, you are right, but as we see with sportspeople, they often dont make the best decisions for their welfare - hence playing with a silly number of injections or trying to play on when knocked out. Capping the number of games does force clubs to rest players and hopefully reduce the amount of wear and tear.

58 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree with large parts of this. I have however advocated caps for number of games a player can play - mainly against those who say the answer is a shorter season.

I notice that the RLPA is being reborn and it will be interesting if they make this a priority.

On your point about nothing stopping this happening already, you are right, but as we see with sportspeople, they often dont make the best decisions for their welfare - hence playing with a silly number of injections or trying to play on when knocked out. Capping the number of games does force clubs to rest players and hopefully reduce the amount of wear and tear.

You are right, but I get a little tired of the hipocrisy of players and coaches telling anyone who will listen how hard done by they are. But in the end the coaches still pick the players and the players will take the £££ for playing international games which they are not contracted to.

They have no god given right to play rugby, it is not a charity. They have a job because people pay to see them play. You don't like it, find work elsewhere or do something about it. But they wouldn't do anything that would harm thier earnings.

Edited by Mattrhino
  • Like 1

I think we have it about right now. Once a week for 7 months or 8 if you get to the GF. It does get a bit rough for international players but that is a minority and is thier choice. The majority of players get 5/4 months off from 1st grade competition. Obviously there is pre season. But that is organised by the clubs and has nothing to do with the RFL.

TBH I would agree to less club games if we had more Internationals. But that is about the progress of the sport rather than player welfare

12 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I remember when David Kidwell was playing for Souths, he tripped over one of his kids' toys in his lounge room, did his knee ligaments and missed the rest of the season after only 5 games with the Bunnies.

Just goes to show duck,you can never predict or prevent one.

Until a legal claim arises, regarding a players health or welfare, this issue will not progress quickly and the answers are far more complex than cutting the season or capping games.  

One thing that seems to have been missed is that work is good for us.  Players having regular work, away from training and match day, would be highly beneficial. 

On 1/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, Mattrhino said:

They are in the entertainment business, yes. But players are less fast and strong when they are under excessive fatigue, and at increased risk of injury. Seeing players being slower than they would be otherwise, and seeing more players injured than there would be otherwise, does nothing for the entertainment business.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:36 PM, SL17 said:

11 hours ago, SL17 said:

Just goes to show duck,you can never predict or prevent one.

You are correct in that the medical and scientific side have both moved on. Which is why we are now so informed about how bad things like short pre-seasons and 3 day turnarounds are. 

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2016/04/13/bjsports-2016-095973.short?rss=1

"Increased preseason participation was associated with a lower percentage of games missed due to injury, with 10 preseason sessions predicting a 5% reduction in the percentage of games missed."

So by having such a long season (and consequently shorter pre-season), we know we increased injury risk, regardless of what recovery strategies are available in-season. This is particularly true for international players who will obviously have shorter pre-seasons still.

If we really care about catching up with the Aussies, stop making our best players less likely to gain speed and strength, and more likely to get injured.

• Like 1