Sign in to follow this  
ginaldo

tom lilycrop

What about Danny Bravo too are we ever going to see him play?

Danny picked up ANOTHER injury during pre-season training, coach did mention it on shirt night, hope it doesn't last too long. Cropper has dislocated the opposite shoulder to the one which finished him last season.  Luckily Rowey looks like he's been on raw meat and both Holland and Ward are doing the business, we'll be ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phildog said:

, we'll be ok.

Bloody ell PD the world must be coming to an end if your optimistic :superman:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Always optimistic, just sometimes I like to consider reality! On this occasion I think optimism and reality go hand in hand!!! Just have to hope that 22ND can pick the correct 17 to do the job. Oops, there goes pessimism raising its'head again!

22nd? Damn predictive text!! Read MD.....

6 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Bravo ,lillycrop , day , smeats , breth , Jc , all injured and not been risked in friendlies

So, if they don't participate this Sunday they won't be match fit for the start of the season.  Then how do they get match fitness?

2 hours ago, fredm said:

So, if they don't participate this Sunday they won't be match fit for the start of the season.  Then how do they get match fitness?

A good point, but probably the case throughout the league for many teams. Oh for a reserve league! 

• Like 1

Agreed, and look at the model that Keighley use and it works. 

2 hours ago, RogerT said:

Agreed, and look at the model that Keighley use and it works. 

Does it work though Roger?

Where did Keighley finish last season? Would they have been better employed spending the money they spent on the second team on one or two really good players?

I'm not saying they are wrong in running a second team, I think every professional club should be made to have one, but given the lack of teams with a second team and the likes of Wigan refusing to play Keighley. You have to wonder how many fixtures Keighley 2nds will play per season and whether it is feasible or what will be gained. Add in Warrington and St. Helens disbanding there teams too and I cannot really see what is to be gained by running one.

Edited by DOGFATHER

I know what you are saying Dogfather, where I was coming from with this is that their chairman about 6 month's ago wrote quite a bit on their site explaining how it all worked, interesting and feasible if all championship and league 1 sides did the same then there could be a competition.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:34 PM, DOGFATHER said:

Does it work though Roger?

Where did Keighley finish last season? Would they have been better employed spending the money they spent on the second team on one or two really good players?

I'm not saying they are wrong in running a second team, I think every professional club should be made to have one, but given the lack of teams with a second team and the likes of Wigan refusing to play Keighley. You have to wonder how many fixtures Keighley 2nds will play per season and whether it is feasible or what will be gained. Add in Warrington and St. Helens disbanding there teams too and I cannot really see what is to be gained by running one.

Keighley claim that they run their second team on peanuts so, no they wouldn't be better off spending on "good players". They also claim that by developing their own players they will save money in the long run.

Good on them, I say.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Keighley claim that they run their second team on peanuts so, no they wouldn't be better off spending on "good players". They also claim that by developing their own players they will save money in the long run.

Good on them, I say.

I applaud them too. Invariably though, the better end of young lads will be snapped up by Leeds and Wigan, even if they do uncover a hidden gem, he is likely to be snapped up by a club offering a much larger contract than Keighley could afford on a Bosman at the end of his contract, so is there much of a benefit to Keighley in developing players?

I suppose it depends on the definition of peanuts. If it's £5-10k a season, then it is probably worth it. But if it is nearer £40-50k Which would still only equate to approx £2k a season per player for a 20 man squad, then there is travel, extra coaching, physio, doctor, extra kit, insurance expenses etc. I would be very surprised if they are running a team on less than it would cost for a couple of top line Ch1 players.

Edited by DOGFATHER

13 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I applaud them too. Invariably though, the better end of young lads will be snapped up by Leeds and Wigan, even if they do uncover a hidden gem, he is likely to be snapped up by a club offering a much larger contract than Keighley could afford on a Bosman at the end of his contract, so is there much of a benefit to Keighley in developing players?

I suppose it depends on the definition of peanuts. If it's £5-10k a season, then it is probably worth it. But if it is nearer £40-50k Which would still only equate to approx £2k a season per player for a 20 man squad, then there is travel, extra coaching, physio, doctor, extra kit, insurance expenses etc. I would be very surprised if they are running a team on less than it would cost for a couple of top line Ch1 players.

They say that they are picking up a number of players who are excluded by the SL clubs not running reserve sides and releasing their over 19's if they aren't identified as having immediate first team potential.

You can be certain that a C1 club referring to costs as peanuts means exactly that. The players are playing for no pay but the opportunity for regular experience, the chance of landing a first team contract and putting themselves in the shop window.

• Like 1

I like that idea BSJ, oops I just noticed your whatever it's called at the very bottom of your posts are in Batley colours, you must be a closet Batley Bulldogs fan.

3 hours ago, RogerT said:

I like that idea BSJ, oops I just noticed your whatever it's called at the very bottom of your posts are in Batley colours, you must be a closet Batley Bulldogs fan.

Not at all Roger - I thought that all Dogs fans had now come out of the closet.

• Haha 2