When super league started there was plenty of talk of mergers . Should we now look again at merges if super league goes down the road of licencing . If certain clubs or areas have any hope of ever getting in to super league surely the only way is to merge with local rivals . Fans don't seem to want to but there again they don't really come out in numbers to follow there teams when just surviving in Championship or in league one . I'm not totally in favour of it but here's a few that could possibly merge 1. Batley - Dewsbury = Kirklees , 2. Oldham - Rochdale = East Manchester Mets . 3. Salford - Swinton = West Manchester Mets . 4, Barrow - Whitehaven = South Cumbrians . Maybe look at building new stadia in Barrow and share with football team . 5, Workington to move to Carlisle again look at  getting investment to build new stadia to share with Carlisle Utd fc and become North Cumbrians. Yes IVE GOT MY CRASH HELMET ON LOL          

Edited by superten
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, superten said:

When super league started there was plenty of talk of merges . Should we now look again at merges if super league goes down the road of licencing . If certain clubs or areas have any hope of ever getting in to super league surely the only way is to merge with local rivals . Fans don't seem to want to but there again they don't really come out in numbers to follow there teams when just surviving in Championship or in league one . I'm not totally in favour of it but here's a few that could possibly merge 1. Batley - Dewsbury = Kirklees , 2. Oldham - Rochdale = East Manchester Mets . 3. Salford - Swinton = West Manchester Mets . 4, Barrow - Whitehaven = South Cumbrians . Maybe look at building new stadia in Barrow and share with football team . 5, Workington to move to Carlisle again look at  getting investment to build new stadia to share with Carlisle Utd fc and become North Cumbrians. Yes IVE GOT MY CRASH HELMET ON LOL          

You do realise how far Barrow is from Haven ? , and then how close Haven is to Worky ? , and then how far Worky is to Carlisle ? 

Would any of those mergers you suggest result in a viable SL club any bigger than they are already ? 

• Like 2

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was a bad idea last time and it’s still bad I’m afraid.

Change of course, always is.

For some.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You do realise how far Barrow is from Haven ? , and then how close Haven is to Worky ? , and then how far Worky is to Carlisle ? 

Would any of those mergers you suggest result in a viable SL club any bigger than they are already ? 

A lot near than when Carlisle merged with Barrow . The idea I looked at was to ground share with Football teams also you split the 6 regions in Cumbria South Cumbria , Barrow , South Lakelands , Copeland total population just under 250,000 people . While Carlisle , Eden and Allerdale  total population just over 250,000 people so a fairly even split.

So simple , I can’t see why we haven’t done it before now ... I mean what’s not to like about taking pro rugby out of the Cumbrian heartlands altogether ?

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Change of course, always is.

For some.

This isnt just a case of people not liking change though. There is no benefit to any of those mergers whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is there really any buy-in from fans for this?

The suggestion is you dont need a buy in , at first both sets of fans will stop going  but eventually ( providing there is a club still in existence ) new generations of fans will start supporting the new entity which will then be able to grow to a level which is more sustainable 

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is there really any buy-in from fans for this?

Are there any fans left anyway? Mergers were supposed to be about a pooling of resources and fans, even if we took success for granted how many of those clubs mentioned above have the resources or fans to make it worthwhile?

There isnt even any point in merging clubs in Manchester now, there are no resources to pool, no fanbases to amalgamate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MZH said:

This isnt just a case of people not liking change though. There is no benefit to any of those mergers whatsoever.

The ones mentioned above, you are correct. But that is a damning indictment of the way those clubs have gone over the last few decades, not an argument against the principle of mergers.

(just to clarify, im not pushing the idea of any of the mergers put forward at the top of the thread)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The suggestion is you dont need a buy in , at first both sets of fans will stop going  but eventually ( providing there is a club still in existence ) new generations of fans will start supporting the new entity which will then be able to grow to a level which is more sustainable 

Thats an odd suggestion, i cant imagine anyone would make it.

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Thats an odd suggestion, i cant imagine anyone would make it.

Funnily enough it was previous posts by yourself on the subject that prompted my reply 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Funnily enough it was previous posts by yourself on the subject that prompted my reply 

Ahhh, so you're making things up again. Fair enough.

All that I can see of mergers is that clubs disappear off the map. Fans won’t follow another team 20 miles away because they merged. All it is one team wiped out, the other stays. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kev p said:

All that I can see of mergers is that clubs disappear off the map. Fans won’t follow another team 20 miles away because they merged. All it is one team wiped out, the other stays. 

As opposed to eventually both clubs disappearing.

The sporting landscape has changed a great deal since 1982, that year was very significant in the development of RL. 

• Like 1

It's always the fans of clubs that nobody suggest should merge , that argue other clubs should , and that fans of those clubs should be OK with it ? 

Funny that Innit ? 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I’d rather have no club than a merged club

That is just stupidly selfish.

Clubs should only merge if they want to, but the most important thing is the survival of RL in an area rather than the survival of a club.

If all the clubs in an area take your attitude then RL could well be lost to the area completely.

Wigan should merge with Leigh , play out of the LSV and be called Leigh , I'd go with that , I'm sure our Wigan neighbours would as well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

That is just stupidly selfish.

Clubs should only merge if they want to, but the most important thing is the survival of RL in an area rather than the survival of a club.

If all the clubs in an area take your attitude then RL could well be lost to the area completely.

The trouble is that there are very rarely (never?) equal partners in a merger, so it essentially ends up being a takeover by the more dominant club of those involved. The end result is then an expectation that people are effectively going to happily start supporting their local rivals.

I expect a lot of people in heartland areas become a fan of their local club before they actually become a fan of the game. Remove the connection of having their local club to support and it removes their entire connection to the game.

The tribalism and parochialism of your average RL fan might be one of the biggest things holding the game back on one hand, but on the other this fierce loyalty is arguably the biggest strength we’ve ever had or ever will have.  

• Like 4