I've tried Google but my head is going to explode.  We haven't had a working electric shower for ages as the old one is kaput.  Our bath has mixer taps with an integral shower attachment and it works well with quite a powerful water pressure so we haven't missed the electric one.  However the boiler has gone on the blink a couple of times this winter meaning no hot water so if I buy a new electric shower will that work if the boiler doesn't?

Also if I buy a new one who do I need to fit it an electrician or a plumber?  Thanks.

1 minute ago, heartofGold said:

I've tried Google but my head is going to explode.  We haven't had a working electric shower for ages as the old one is kaput.  Our bath has mixer taps with an integral shower attachment and it works well with quite a powerful water pressure so we haven't missed the electric one.  However the boiler has gone on the blink a couple of times this winter meaning no hot water so if I buy a new electric shower will that work if the boiler doesn't?

Also if I buy a new one who do I need to fit it an electrician or a plumber?  Thanks.

If the electric shower is a heater type you take the water from the cold feed so it will work whatever the boiler does.

You will probably need to replace the circuit as the load on new showers is a lot higher than they used to be (10kW+ over 7kW) and you will need a 17th edition qualified electrician to do this, the plumbing thanks to the delight of push fit you should be able to do yourself.

Good advice from Shads, however I would suggest it's fairly unlikely there are that many 7kW showers still in existence. 

You need to have a look at how long the cable run is (distance from consumer unit to shower) and what size cable is feeding your kaput shower before choosing the rating of a new one. If, as with most shower installations, it turns out to be 6mm then you should be able to choose an 8.5kW shower without any problems.

Any thoughts on choosing a 9kW or more powerful shower might lead to to having the existing cable upgraded to a 10mm cable.

With all the regs in force these days you need to follow Shad's advice and employ a NICEIC or similar registered electrician who will be able to work all this out for you. Get a few quotes and recommendations and choose which one you feel most comfortable with.

The best of luck!

What Shads and OF said; showers within zone one in the bathroom need to be installed and signed off by a suitably qualified electrician under Part P of the Building Regulations.

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

What’s an electric shower? I’ve never heard of them before.

Think of Hull KR plugged into the mains.

• Haha 1