Sign in to follow this  
Cross Hills Cougar

Give the Hearns Magic Weekend and make it a 9s

Not sure the Hearns are cut out to head the RFL.

But I'd certainly give them the Magic Weekend to promote. Making it a nines rather than an extra round of league matches would straight away end the distortion of an odd number of league games.

Tells the Hearns it has to be a 9 a side competition for 16 teams over the weekend.

They have to guarantee £250,000 prize money for the winners, £125,000 for the runners-up and £100,000 for 3rd (winner of the semi final losers' match) and £50,000 for all the other 13 teams. That's £1.125 million they have to guarantee. Anything above that that they make (from TV rights, sponsorship, advertising, ticket sales etc) they keep. The prize money on offer would ensure clubs field their strongest teams.

What would people think about inviting one guest RU team?

2 minutes ago, Cross Hills Cougar said:

But I'd certainly give them the Magic Weekend to promote. Making it a nines rather than an extra round of league matches would straight away end the distortion of an odd number of league games.

Tells the Hearns it has to be a 9 a side competition for 16 teams over the weekend.

They have to guarantee £250,000 prize money for the winners, £125,000 for the runners-up and £100,000 for 3rd (winner of the semi final losers' match) and £50,000 for all the other 13 teams. That's £1.125 million they have to guarantee. Anything above that that they make (from TV rights, sponsorship, advertising, ticket sales etc) they keep. The prize money on offer would ensure clubs field their strongest teams.

How much interest is there in 9s rugby generally?

I think you might have to start off with some smaller televised events first to drum up support and test the water first.

On a slightly different, but related Magic point, I’ve never really understood why the Newcastle event doesn’t feature the Newcastle Thunder?

12 Super League Clubs

Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France and Newcastle 

European Select IX (amateurs from Serbia etc).

International sides get first pick of players.

A nines comp featuring all the top stars would be fun but not at the expense of the magic weekend.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, MZH said:

A nines comp featuring all the top stars would be fun but not at the expense of the magic weekend.

Yep, no need.

Think it would be the best for the RFL to hive 9s off as its own project outsourced to a promoter. Its an event you are selling and thats not where the RFL's skills are.

9's = Imitation Rugby League, totally different game, if it has to be played (at all) do it has it is done in the NRL, before the season starts when the proper stuff begins, there is no place for it in mid season at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

9's = Imitation Rugby League, totally different game, if it has to be played (at all) do it has it is done in the NRL, before the season starts when the proper stuff begins, there is no place for it in mid season at all.

Imitation? Not really.

Why is there no place for it mid-season? 

If we need a Big Bang to launch the season (something that's often mentioned) I'd go radical and have a 9's tournament of SL clubs to launch the season where league points are available to be won depending on how well you perform.

big stadium (Cardiff for example), and give it to someone like Eddie Hearn to promote.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Imitation? Not really.

Why is there no place for it mid-season? 

Concerns over injuries, maybe?

I know the OP stated that there would be decent prize money which may outweigh some of the risk.

What’s the highest attendance we’ve ever had for a 9’s event?

Its all pie in the sky at the moment and would Eddie be interested?, but I'm sure if he or Barry or both were involved in it, it would create a lot of interest from the British sporting public as a whole because of them.

4 hours ago, Cross Hills Cougar said:

If the powers that be want to incorporate a 9's event then the type of financial proposal that you have outlined should be a win/win for all concerned.

It could only be bettered if there was the following caveat:

- Each team has to include one darts player and one snooker player

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

The next person who suggests the Magic Weekend becoming a 9's tournament is being added to my ignore list

But another 'give RL to the Hearns' thread is always welcome! :biggrin:

Make the latter rounds of the Challenge Cup all Magic Weekend events and let them promote that.

Round of 16 at Newcastle 

Quarters at Cardiff 

Semis at Manchester 

Final at Wembley 

There's four events that all link up and could do with a boost in attendance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Make the latter rounds of the Challenge Cup all Magic Weekend events and let them promote that.

Round of 16 at Newcastle 

Quarters at Cardiff 

Semis at Manchester 

Final at Wembley 

There's four events that all link up and could do with a boost in attendance.

Yeah i quite like the idea of something like this. Rd of 16 and quarters may slighy clash and detract from each other slightmy but sure that couldd be overcome.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah i quite like the idea of something like this. Rd of 16 and quarters may slighy clash and detract from each other slightmy but sure that couldd be overcome.

Round of 16 in early May (May Day bank holiday)

Quarters in mid-June.

Semis at end of July.

Final at end of August (Bank holiday).

Plenty of time for each there. I'd maybe swap and have Cardiff first due to distance.

All should be available during the football close season.

10 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Round of 16 in early May (May Day bank holiday)

Quarters in mid-June.

Semis at end of July.

Final at end of August (Bank holiday).

Plenty of time for each there. I'd maybe swap and have Cardiff first due to distance.

All should be available during the football close season.

Yeah i think your semis sort themselves via fans of the four teams and rd of 16 does with it being a direct replacement for Magic, the quarters (4 games in one day) could compete with the rd of 16 as it is another full day festival and im not sure whether the demand is there for two of them.

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What’s the highest attendance we’ve ever had for a 9’s event?

Nine?

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

If we need a Big Bang to launch the season (something that's often mentioned) I'd go radical and have a 9's tournament of SL clubs to launch the season where league points are available to be won depending on how well you perform.

big stadium (Cardiff for example), and give it to someone like Eddie Hearn to promote.

Too cold to be sat in Cardiff for 8hrs in early Feb. Start of the season  would need to be somewhere warm.

9 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

The next person who suggests the Magic Weekend becoming a 9's tournament is being added to my ignore list

Considering the severity of the punishment, I will not be suggesting that the magic weekend becomes a 9s tournament, despite the fact that I started a thread previously on that very topic. Thanks for the warning. :giveheart:

However, I feel I need to support the OP's idea.

The magic weekend is a 'success', according to the RFL and the tourism departments of various cities, but what is its intended purpose and does it meet its targets?

For me, the event is now saturated, with little chance of getting any bigger or more successful than it already is. It mainly attracts the existing fanbase who mainly go to watch their team at a big stadium event. I suspect there are a significant number of locals attracted to a cheap weekend's entertainment, but do we get any more than a tenner a year from these types?

Fudging the attendance to suggest 60K+ attend the event does nothing for its credibility. Is the income any more than the 50K+ that attend regular SL rounds?

Many of the individual matches are very poorly attended.

A properly organised 9s event would attract more non-core supporters, IMO.

It would need to be an officially sanctioned competition with prize money similar to the challenge cup, requiring teams to field full-strength sides. The whole event would need to have a festival atmosphere, with activities around the stadium. I believe more people would watch more often throughout the 2 days. Food and drink would need to be at reasonable prices.

I get that the RL purists don't like the idea of a short/watered-down version, so it would need to be sold to them too. It's a different game, but the core skills are still there. They'd still get their jolly-boys' outing to support their team at a big event. The broadcasters would get 2 full days of sport to fill their channels at a low cost and generating lots of highlights. 

A chance to expand the support base and hence the sponsor portfolio. Would more companies like Dacia be attracted to such a high profile sporting event?

The 9s format would develop as it was played more often with new tactics and skills. There could be a knock-on effect (excuse the pun) to the full game by emphasising more open attacking rugby.

Do it, but do it properly... perhaps the Hearns are a good match for that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Fudging the attendance to suggest 60K+ attend the event does nothing for its credibility. Is the income any more than the 50K+ that attend regular SL rounds?

What does this mean?