Wayne Bennett to get four-year England deal

I noticed this bit when they mentioned the Denver game:

but the plan has encountered opposition from some NRL clubs who are reluctant to see their players make a trans-Atlantic journey in mid-season.

I'd be concerned too. A quick trip to Denver is one thing but if they're going to make a whole holiday out of it that's another thing entirely. Reminds me of that Britney Spears quote about travelling overseas, like to Canada.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t think it’ll happen, I can’t see Bennett staying for another 4 years. Think they’ll have someone else in mind. 

Good news on Denver, but talk about leaving it till the last minute 

9 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I noticed this bit when they mentioned the Denver game:

I'd be concerned too. A quick trip to Denver is one thing but if they're going to make a whole holiday out of it that's another thing entirely. Reminds me of that Britney Spears quote about travelling overseas, like to Canada.

I'm not sure of your point re. that quote. I can't see it mentioning anything that suggests it would be any more than a quick trip.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t think it’ll happen, I can’t see Bennett staying for another 4 years. Think they’ll have someone else in mind. 

Good news on Denver, but talk about leaving it till the last minute 

Genuine question. Does Wayne Bennett even want to do 4 more years in RL let alone with England? He will be 71 by the time the next World Cup comes around.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Genuine question. Does Wayne Bennett even want to do 4 more years in RL let alone with England? He will be 71 by the time the next World Cup comes around.

I doubt it. I think he’ll do a bit of consultancy for NZ and that would suit him better 

Noting the quote above re: Trans Atlantic Trip....

Is it Trans Atlantic or can you not nowadays get Trans-Pacific..... or maybe if it was on the west coast as distinct from West USA would it be a quicker flight...

Thus at the risk of  a debate.... remind me why was Denver chosen?

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure of your point re. that quote. I can't see it mentioning anything that suggests it would be any more than a quick trip.

It was a simple throwaway observation addressing the writer's presumed mistake in writing "trans-Atlantic," when he probably meant "trans-Pacific."

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

It was a simple throwaway observation addressing the writer's presumed mistake in writing "trans-Atlantic," when he probably meant "trans-Pacific."

ah sorry, didn't even pick up on that!

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

I think Bennett would much prefer the Kiwi job and I'm sure if he was offered it he would take it providing the money is right

Perhaps at the outset this was the case. However, Bennett is an extremely loyal guy and I would imagine the buy-in he has got from the England players would be worth a lot to him. He knows he would be welcomed and highly regarded if he rejoins the set-up for the foreseeable future. If that gig also involves taking on GB then it will probably be an added incentive.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Perhaps at the outset this was the case. However, Bennett is an extremely loyal guy and I would imagine the buy-in he has got from the England players would be worth a lot to him. He knows he would be welcomed and highly regarded if he rejoins the set-up for the foreseeable future. If that gig also involves taking on GB then it will probably be an added incentive.

I never knew that.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

If that was the case then Powell has to be the assistant to Bennett this year. No point messing around.

What? The coach of the team that got comprehensively gubbed by St Helens and only just scraped past Widnes? :wink: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rimmer...

• Toronto will have to jump through lots of hoops before they would even be considered for promotion to SL.....
  • Of course Toronto can be promoted to SL
  • The England coach needs to be someone who can commit for four years....
  • I'm pleased to announce Wayne Bennett on a two year contract

This guy is exactly the type of CEO we need to help bring growth and prosperity to the game in the UK

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Changing from Bennett to Powell a year before a World Cup England really needs to win could be quite a big difference in style, no?

A longer exposure to Bennett's insistence on discipline and attention to detail, topped off by a dose of Powell's attacking instincts (assuming he's still successful by the time he takes over the top job) might not be a bad thing.

If we had the number of internationals per year as Football or Rugby Union, the transition could be quicker, but with the RL calendar, Bennett has barely begun his England career.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived