http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=612062

According to this poster on Wakefield RLFANS not only do RU clubs get more money per club for the television deal even if it’s not a exclusive coverage, the ru affiliated clubs get a better deal to have SKY TV in their clubhouse!!

I wish somebody with some balls would negotiate our TV deal with the ratings Rugby League gets they should be giving us every discount not the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel!!

24 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

According to this poster on Wakefield RLFANS not only do RU clubs get more money per club for the television deal even if it’s not a exclusive coverage, the ru affiliated clubs get a better deal to have SKY TV in their clubhouse!!

I wish somebody with some balls would negotiate our TV deal with the ratings Rugby League gets they should be giving us every discount not the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel!!

There are a hell of a lot more RFU clubhouses and a hell of a lot more who take sky, unfortunately it's simple economies of scale.

27 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Welcome to the real world. One of my employees is on a better deal than the others. Turns out they had the ability to negotiate.

The RLFans post doesn't really make sense anyway, as Sky don't have top flight club RU so no idea what the viewing figures it compares are. The Sky RFU deal is (mostly) for exclusive internationals and, just like the ECB for cricket, to assuage the community clubs who feared a hit from England going off terrestrial, they offered sweetened subscription deals. And for the record, international RU and cricket pulls viewing figures several times what SL does.

What would be interesting to know is whether BT Sport offer reduced subscription for community RU clubs for their channels. anybody know? If they do, then the argument might have legs. 

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The RLFans post doesn't really make sense anyway, as Sky don't have top flight club RU so no idea what the viewing figures it compares are. The Sky RFU deal is (mostly) for exclusive internationals and, just like the ECB for cricket, to assuage the community clubs who feared a hit from England going off terrestrial, they offered sweetened subscription deals. And for the record, international RU and cricket pulls viewing figures several times what SL does.

What would be interesting to know is whether BT Sport offer reduced subscription for community RU clubs for their channels. anybody know? If they do, then the argument might have legs. 

What are those viewing figures you mention?

Do you have a link, I would love to have a gander.

Do SKY still show Super League?   I saw some games on there last season but the SkySports adverts on at the moment featuring what’s new next month suggest only Football, Cricket, Union, Golf, Darts etc.

I hope RL gets back on TV some day.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

What are those viewing figures you mention?

Do you have a link, I would love to have a gander.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-top-10/

Eng vs Aus on Nov 18 got 837,000 on Main Event+Arena. In comparison, our GF got 353,000 on the same channels.

That said, the Aviva Prem Final only got 202,000 on BT Sport 1, unless it was simulcast somewhere else I didn't see. Even accounting for demographic issues, I just don't see how BT can justify how much they pay for that contract. Or we should definitely be getting more!

42 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-top-10/

Eng vs Aus on Nov 18 got 837,000 on Main Event+Arena. In comparison, our GF got 353,000 on the same channels.

That said, the Aviva Prem Final only got 202,000 on BT Sport 1, unless it was simulcast somewhere else I didn't see. Even accounting for demographic issues, I just don't see how BT can justify how much they pay for that contract. Or we should definitely be getting more!

RU clubs get a massive hand out from international tv rights. It doesn’t all come from the domestic tv deal. 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

RU clubs get a massive hand out from international tv rights. It doesn’t all come from the domestic tv deal. 

Yes, indeed they do. And given the viewing figures that international RU gets, you can see why Sky will pay a fair whack for it. But the BT deal for the Aviva games alone (not including internationals or European Cup) is still worth more than the SL deal which I don't believe is sustainable in the long run.

Although one thing they do which helps drive broadcasting rights is show 3-4 games a week while we only show 2-3. We have to have a SL game on EVERY Saturday, not just when Catalans are at home. We just don't offer enough content for a broadcaster to really sink their teeth into. Look at what all the other sports are doing, upping the amount of games available so broadcasters can build a schedule around it. In fact every SL game should be televised one way or other.

Edited by Toby Chopra

22 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yes, indeed they do. And given the viewing figures that international RU gets, you can see why Sky will pay a fair whack for it. But the BT deal for the Aviva games alone (not including internationals or European Cup) is still worth more than the SL deal which I don't believe is sustainable in the long run.

Although one thing they do which helps drive broadcasting rights is show 3-4 games a week while we only show 2-3. We have to have a SL game on EVERY Saturday, not just when Catalans are at home. We just don't offer enough content for a broadcaster to really sink their teeth into. Look at what all the other sports are doing, upping the amount of games available so broadcasters can build a schedule around it. In fact every SL game should be televised one way or other.

Best way to kill of attendances and hammer the final nail in the coffin.

39 minutes ago, BBR said:

Nonsense. Football crowds are the highest they've been in decades and every deal they add more games - including the lower leagues. Same goes for union. We have to be out there competing for attention. We need wall to wall rugby league so people know it's a big time sport that they should pay attention to. Then they'll come to the games. At the moment you get to the weekend and we hand the airwaves over to everyone else. You'd barely know the game exists if you weren't already looking out for it. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I can’t anything that shows RU premierships domestic deal is worth more than RL. In fact the only articles I’ve found show RLs as slightly bigger and that’s with RU selling a 7s series in the same deal. 

2 hours ago, BBR said:

You prefer the “growth through less exposure” plan?

Edited by Copa

16 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I can’t anything that shows RU premierships domestic deal is worth more than RL. In fact the only articles I’ve found show RLs as slightly bigger and that’s with RU selling a 7s series in the same deal. 

The current Aviva deal is worth "far in excess" of the previous one worth £38 mln a year. The BBC reckoned 80% more but I don't believe that. It's for 80 league games a year over 24 weekends, and the 7s weekend you mention. That doesn't include domestic cup or European club competition.

Our Sky deal is worth £33 mln a year not including Challenge Cup, although unlike the Aviva clubs, the SL clubs don' t get to keep all of it. It's for about 95 games spread over 32 weekends. 

To be honest we don't do too badly in my view, but we still provide much less content overall once you add in Europe, internationals etc and we can definitely push more out there without fearing saturation. It doesn't seem to worry other sports. A weekly Saturday teatime slot is a must, and Saturday nights from North America could be a great,and low cost, addition. 

It's not just about content and viewing figures. People don't like hearing this but RU fans are far wealthier on average than RL fans. That means Sky can attract more valuable advertising which increases the value of RU to the channel. To be honest I'm surprised the SL deal is as close to the Permiership deal as it is.

29 minutes ago, damp squib said:

It's not just about content and viewing figures. People don't like hearing this but RU fans are far wealthier on average than RL fans. That means Sky can attract more valuable advertising which increases the value of RU to the channel. To be honest I'm surprised the SL deal is as close to the Permiership deal as it is.

Thumbs up to the idea of a Perm-iership.

0F1BBADF-DDC6-4BE4-BD81-101D19EAA781.jpeg.ee7f681fcad7539c24ec063070af7b67.jpeg

• Like 1

On 26/01/2018 at 8:52 PM, Toby Chopra said:

Nonsense. Football crowds are the highest they've been in decades and every deal they add more games - including the lower leagues. Same goes for union. We have to be out there competing for attention. We need wall to wall rugby league so people know it's a big time sport that they should pay attention to. Then they'll come to the games. At the moment you get to the weekend and we hand the airwaves over to everyone else. You'd barely know the game exists if you weren't already looking out for it. 

We are not football. We are not so much in demand that we have waiting lists for tickets. Rugby fans will sit at home and watch on the telly. Clubs will die. We do need more exposure but putting all games on TV is the end. Getting games on free to air is more important

11 minutes ago, BBR said:

We are not football. We are not so much in demand that we have waiting lists for tickets. Rugby fans will sit at home and watch on the telly. Clubs will die. We do need more exposure but putting all games on TV is the end. Getting games on free to air is more important

TV is a 90 minute advert not a threat. If you can't sell your matchday experience to the hunrdeds of thousands (and millions on FTA) who watch on tv you are already dead. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BBR said:

If the product is that bad then maybe fixing it is the solution vs not showing it to anyone.

I really don't get this whole "please don't televise the game" business...sponsors will want the games shown, pubs would like the games shown...fans who apparently won't go to a game if they are on TV are the only ones complaining (plus DJB that is). Is the match day experience THAT bad?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

If the product is that bad then maybe fixing it is the solution vs not showing it to anyone.

I really don't get this whole "please don't televise the game" business...sponsors will want the games shown, pubs would like the games shown...fans who apparently won't go to a game if they are on TV are the only ones complaining (plus DJB that is). Is the match day experience THAT bad?

The people who say that stuff are the same ones that go on and on about away fans. In other words people with a very strange backwoods mentality.

As for the OP, I'm literally struggling to think of a worse possible source for anything than the Wakefield RLFANS forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BBR said:

Getting games on free to air is more important

Evidence from the past is that this is not the case, it didn't make that much difference and many blamed it for declining attendances.

The idea that involvement of a certain sports agent will make all the difference is interesting, intriguing and a bit beguiling like a Harry Potter Wand!

The question for TGG has always been how to get a biased media predisposed to dismiss it to sit up, take notice and up their game when it came to our sport.

A re-branding has already been suggested by those concerned but that would only ever be step one in a large set of long term goals for RL to take what is really only its rightful place in the sporting world.

Making TGG unmissable, and un-ignorable  is not something fixed by simple inclusion on ITV or BBC.

There’s a decent amount of rugby on FTA - 10 live games on the Beeb this year not including streaming (x7 Challenge Cup, x3 England v New Zealand).

I do wish that the Super League Show would be shown when families will be watching, not tucked up in bed or at school/work.

I’m guessing it can’t be shown before Sky airs Super League Full Time on Mondays at 10pm-ish. That’s a short-sighted mistake on their part as it reduces awareness of the sport.

Is anybody in the know as why Sky dont seem to show any replays or highlights of the games? all I can seem to see is a whopping 15 mins at 10.30 on Fri morning. Considering the endless repeats they have of other stuff, i just wondered why this was??