Recommended Posts

It’s the mp’s voting themselves a pay rise. Are they having a giraffe? Why are the RFL giving a man who has been pretty useless at his job, £500,000? And another cushty job to carry on robbing the game? It’s like Mrs May’s money tree!! 

#speechless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems to be a large pay off.  I'm aware that in big business, the leaders take home similar pay packets and get golden hand shakes, but I don't think the size of the RFLs turnover justifies that size of payoff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally, you get a severance payment of this nature where your employer has terminated your (long-term) contract.  Or, amounting to the same thing, has asked you to resign.  You would not get such a payment if you left of your own volition

Sometimes you get a consolation prize job as part of any settlement.

I say "normally", because this IS the RFL we are talking about here, so "normal" rarely applies?

Although the fact that no succession process seemed to have been initiated, let alone be in progress, when his departure was announced, did very much suggest that he cannot have given notice?

On top of whatever the RFL presumably settled with the former Bulls 3.0 players and staff, strangely enough coming at about the same time, it looks like a very expensive January for the RFL? Just a tragedy that all this money could not have been deployed to develop the game, I suggest?  Maybe they can recoup some of it eventually through whatever they finally do with their asset at Odsal, although who knows what the intentions will be now Wood has gone?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

It’s the mp’s voting themselves a pay rise. Are they having a giraffe? Why are the RFL giving a man who has been pretty useless at his job, £500,000? And another cushty job to carry on robbing the game? It’s like Mrs May’s money tree!! 

#speechless

The Magic Money Tree was actually Amber Rudd's expression, which she used in a speech to describe (in her opinion) how Labour were proposing to fund their manifesto promises.

Maybe Rimmer & Co found a seedling up at Rot Hall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how this news is ‘softened’ with the announcement of Wood donating his programme collection.

Presumably he’s got to make space for all those used five pound notes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. The League Express. There needs to be an immediate investigation and Sport England Audit to find out whether this is legal and where the monies have come from. 

From what I can see this will cost a third of the RFLs cash balances. Who has approved it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Where is this reported.

£500,000 if true is disgusting. That’s 20 development officers for a year.

This. Like you say if true that’s x amount of development officers in areas like the north east, Coventry, Bristol and London etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this an unambiguous statement of fact, or is this half the story? I'm not making a call either way on but sometimes not all the details come out, which creates a distorted picture. There is no link provided or detailed explanation given here to verify the claim. Until I see that, it's just unsubstantiated sensationalism to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Is this an unambiguous statement of fact, or is this half the story? I'm not making a call either way on but sometimes not all the details come out, which creates a distorted picture. There is no link provided or detailed explanation given here to verify the claim. Until I see that, it's just unsubstantiated sensationalism to me. 

It’s published in the League Express. You’re not going to get a link to printed story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It’s published in the League Express. You’re not going to get a link to printed story

Can anyone paraphrase what was said? The initial comment was so lean on substance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Adeybull said:

Normally, you get a severance payment of this nature where your employer has terminated your (long-term) contract.  Or, amounting to the same thing, has asked you to resign.  You would not get such a payment if you left of your own volition

Although the fact that no succession process seemed to have been initiated, let alone be in progress, when his departure was announced, did very much suggest that he cannot have given notice?

May I suggest Pay in Lieu of Notice (e.g. if you had to give 12 weeks notice you get paid the 12 weeks up front in order to get you out of the building).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without seeing the actual paperwork, it may well have been in his contract, compensation for loss of office plus pension contributions. In addition, a possible gagging clause - a compromise agreement. It might be that had the RFL challenged the contract, they'd have faced extremely expensive legal action....again. How he got away with such a contract in the first place is anyone's guess.

These things are not unknown at Director and CEO level in Local Authorities....see Private Eye's "Rotten Boroughs " passim -in bulk. Not that anyone on here would send the story to Private Eye, of course. 😊😊😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

May I suggest Pay in Lieu of Notice (e.g. if you had to give 12 weeks notice you get paid the 12 weeks up front in order to get you out of the building).

One hell of a lot of notice the, given his reported salary? But the normal practice in such cases is you send them on gardening leave, which stops them from working for anyone else.  The situation you describe would usually arise only when someone has been asked to resign, in my experience. If someone leaves of their own volition, e.g.to take up another post, then unless they have some claim on the employer for e.g. constructive dismissal, they would not normally be entitled to any compensation - because what are they being compensated for? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Without seeing the actual paperwork, it may well have been in his contract, compensation for loss of office plus pension contributions. In addition, a possible gagging clause - a compromise agreement. It might be that had the RFL challenged the contract, they'd have faced extremely expensive legal action....again. How he got away with such a contract in the first place is anyone's guess.

These things are not unknown at Director and CEO level in Local Authorities....see Private Eye's "Rotten Boroughs " passim -in bulk. Not that anyone on here would send the story to Private Eye, of course. 😊😊😊

Compensation for loss of office is by definition never contractual. Compensation gets paid because the employer has breached the employee’s contract - e.g. by dismissing him ( actually, or constructively) without giving the notice required by the contract. Where the employee has a contract with a very long notice period, or is for a fixed and lengthy term -  not uncommon for senior executives - such compensation can be very substantial. Been involved in a number of such settlements myself  over the years (sadly not as a recipient!).

Almost invariably, any agreed settlement - which involves the recipient “compromising” his rights to pursue compensation through the legal process - is the subject of a Compromise Agreement, which usually includes confidentiality clauses and may include provisions for continued involvement for a period. 

Edited by Adeybull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understood. I signed a comromise agreement in 1999 and am still bound by it. Can't say a word about it, even now. However......😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Understood. I signed a comromise agreement in 1999 and am still bound by it. Can't say a word about it, even now. However......😀

1999? You are Maurice Lindsay, and I claim my £5! 😜

Edited by Adeybull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The man left the job voluntarily because even he was embarrassed by his failings.

He shouldn't have got a penny. As a matter of fact he should have returned a large proportion of the money he has got since he took the job, because in my opinion he got money under false pretenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The man left the job voluntarily because even he was embarrassed by his failings.

He shouldn't have got a penny. As a matter of fact he should have returned a large proportion of the money he has got since he took the job, because in my opinion he got money under false pretenses.

Are we certain of the circumstances of way he left. Did he simply leave to take up his other post or was he forced out by the change in structure made by SL clubs. Also is it a £500k cash payment or a much smaller cash settlement with the rest being the amount he has in his pension. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people need to calm down a touch. We don't know whether he resigned, was pushed, or took a voluntary package (a golden handshake). It looks like the latter tbh. 

Even a voluntary redundancy package could be £350k or so based on his tenure and final salary. Voluntary redundancy also affects things like pension packages.

The number seems high, but these things soon add up, and as has been pointed out, it is not unusual for CEO's and similar to have nice fat final cheques.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bobbruce said:

Are we certain of the circumstances of way he left. Did he simply leave to take up his other post or was he forced out by the change in structure made by SL clubs. Also is it a £500k cash payment or a much smaller cash settlement with the rest being the amount he has in his pension. 

I expect the article will have all this detail and not just the sensationalist number.

Maybe.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The man left the job voluntarily because even he was embarrassed by his failings.

He shouldn't have got a penny. As a matter of fact he should have returned a large proportion of the money he has got since he took the job, because in my opinion he got money under false pretenses.

He got his wage for being the CEO. Are you saying that he wasn't the CEO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018

Get Rugby League World - Online Now!

Rugby League Books On Sale Here