Match thread: Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Sunday February 4th

marklaspalmas

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

To be fair that starting pack is better than everyone's bar maybe Leigh in this division. The backs, well I'd rather have Fevs backs than those. :)

??alright oxy lad. Golding there starting full back, keinhorst, Handley and lilley would walk into any championship side. Plus just had a little count up of the cas squad that played us, 17 of the 19 players got a squad number, so way off the mark with the maily academy squad. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Just been on twitter that there’s another signing but not saying who yet. Probably late in the day for Sunday but will increase competition for places.

Also Leeds squad is out and there’s no Oledjski so may be available to us on Sunday.

Oledzki didn't play against Fev due to a shoulder injury, so I doubt they would release him even if he's recovered.

This DR arrangement between halifax and cas is strange 2 players aston and Lo have just gone to sheffield on loan and we get Clark have cas got any players left to send to fax because there going everywhere else except them 

Fax have got Maher and Douglas on season-long loan, neither of them were getting anywhere near their first team anyway and it remains to be seen whether they're on Cas's books next year. Hitchcox and Clare haven't been selected in their 19-man squad so must be a good chance they will be available to them. I see Alex Foster hasn't been picked, maybe he'll be available for Fax too.

Having a DR arrangement doesn't preclude loans to other teams, and last year Leeds sent Oledzki, Lilley, Cameron Smith and maybe a few others to Bradford despite their DR arrangement with us.

The interesting thing with regards to this weekend's match from Halifax DR point of view is whether they are offered either Ellis or Trueman at half back - both have been named in the Cas 19-man squad for their game on Friday so neither may be available but if and when one of them is offered, it will be interesting to see if they drop, say, Ben Johnston for him (can't see them dropping Murrell). It's one thing to bring a prop or winger in on DR, quite another to expect a half back to come in with the limited prep you get with DR and run your systems (and I know Lilley did it pretty well for us against Fax on one occasion).

21 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

You would have thought Fax would have had first refusal on him given Fax are DR with cas.Whats gone wrong there Oxy????

You don't know that we did't. ;)

To be fair Cas have got some money from Fev for him so fair play, Im really not sure we even looked at him though as I would have Douglas over him anyway and our pack is pretty decent as it is and that's not really where our weakness is.

21 hours ago, fevfromfar said:

Didn't you say on an earlier thread you expected to see him at Fax this year.

No, never mentioned Clark. Ten a penny player really and we could take a number of Cas's forwards and have them do the same job. As I put on the Fax forum, Clark and Aston not bothered about in the slightest but would obviously have taken Lo but Cas have some very good wingers now available to us anyway and it really does not matter who we play on the wing as it isnt often they get the ball.

18 minutes ago, hoolifan27 said:

hitchcox is a decent winger tbf not sure what foster is like but looking forward to my trip over sunday

Hitchcox very dangerous when he can be assed. Foster and douglas will do a decent job. Maher pudding, hasnt progressed last few year, will be full time championship player next season for me 

52 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Hitchcox very dangerous when he can be assed. Foster and douglas will do a decent job. Maher pudding, hasnt progressed last few year, will be full time championship player next season for me 

Agree with all that. Jy's much better attacking player than defending. Foster is very solid as you'd expect from someone who played 19 times for the league leaders last year (this will be his first proper game since the Grand Final!). Douglas seems solid, Maher is big but has looked like a poor man's Keegan Hirst when I've seen him.

1 hour ago, hoolifan27 said:

hitchcox is a decent winger tbf not sure what foster is like but looking forward to my trip over sunday

Yeah im not saying theyr all bad players but just dont think theyr anything to worry about. If fax had got Lo on duel reg for example, he can be rocks or diamonds but he's someone that can blow a game wide open and on his day can do things that not a lot of wingers can, hitchcox is decent enough but dosnt pose the same threat imo.  

Fosters solid enough but again, theres nothing really dynamic about his play, he'l work hard and make his tackles without doing much that catches the eye.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Rovers squad:
Ian Hardman, Shaun Robinson, Misi Taulapapa, Luke Briscoe, Martyn Ridyard, Anthony Thackeray, Scott Wheeldon, Keal Carlile, Richard Moore, Connor Farrell, John Davies, Matty Wildie, Gareth Hock, Frankie Mariano, Luke Cooper, Tom Holmes, Josh Hardcastle, Brad Knowles, Mitch Clark.

No dual reg!

Lockwood is injured, doesn't say on the website whether Brooks is still sidelines by whatever kept him out at the last minute v Leeds or just not included.

At a guess whoever doesn't start at 1 out of Hardman and Thacks might be one to miss out; perhaps Knowles the other, assuming Hock is fit to play. But just guessing.

Archived