Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Eddie Hemmings

Across the board disappointed with the Sky presentation this year. No innovation. No changes. If they are waiting for Eddie to retire at the end of the season, it just means a year of treading water

• Like 2

Andrew Voss would be a good call, but only for the actual commentating.

Barrie and Terry should be gone for good.

Dave Woods? Absolutely not.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would expect most of his silly nonsense (as per 2013 WC) would not be present if a seasoned caller.

Yes maybe. And i did like his enthusiasm and passion for the  local areas, but it is the kind of silliness that we alate many others for.

I must admit i prefer a serious commentary team, its why I have no time for Barrie and Terry during matches. No issues with silliness and banter during shows and sketches a bit like football coverage.

Im not sure why people always want innovation. 

I personally think the Sky coverage is good. If it was combined with the BBC coverage itd be better.

Main commentator, sidekick, plus maybe Clarkey with an analytical role chirping in. Then one on the sideline.

Lets hear what the VR says.

Keep the Wells video review.

Works for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Those of us who can remember when RL kicked off with BSB/SKY thought Stevo with his no nonsense and somtimes OTT comments was a breath of fresh air after years of listening to the likes of Ray French, Bill McLaren, John Motson, Barry Davies, Brian Moore (ITV football not the RU bloke) etc. all commentators that sat on the fence.

Voss has a different style but if he took over many on here would be criticising him after a few years.

Doesn't that prove the point that a change of personnel is required every once in a while?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Im not sure why people always want innovation. 

I personally think the Sky coverage is good. If it was combined with the BBC coverage itd be better.

Main commentator, sidekick, plus maybe Clarkey with an analytical role chirping in. Then one on the sideline.

Lets hear what the VR says.

Keep the Wells video review.

Works for me.

I think you have identified one of the fundamental issues with Sky's coverage; far too many voices in the commentary box.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Voss has a different style but if he took over many on here would be criticising him after a few seconds.

Changed for accuracy!;)

Jamie Jones-Buchanan when he retires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Stein said:

Across the board disappointed with the Sky presentation this year. No innovation. No changes. If they are waiting for Eddie to retire at the end of the season, it just means a year of treading water

Yes , still Cummings carried around telling us the obvious or giving another irrelevant opinion and the two clowns with the same routine and Barry still struggling to coherently communicate . With Eddie still doing what Eddie does and Clark seemingly ever more marginalised .Total overhaul and pairing down needed . Cast of Ben Hur to cover a match is ridiculous . A commentator and more use in games of guys like wells n Carney who are their best assets in that lot 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

For those of us a bit long in the tooth,Eddie Waring was the man we thought could never be replaced,then there was Mr. Rugby himself who should have done alot more behind the mic, the Legend that is Alex Murphy,as for Hemmings am afraid he is not in the same class as those two I just mentioned,he is very replaceable!

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

For those of us a bit long in the tooth,Eddie Waring was the man we thought could never be replaced,then there was Mr. Rugby himself who should have done alot more behind the mic, the Legend that is Alex Murphy,as for Hemmings am afraid he is not in the same class as those two I just mentioned,he is very replaceable!

Murphy knew his stuff but was a grade one arriss behind a mic, Waring was good until he became a celeb and he thought he was the reason for the television programme as opposed to what people wanted to watch.

Hemmings in his early days was head and shoulders above both the clowns above.

Rod Studd the best option with Wells as summeriser.  Carney to Anchor with Clark to assist. When he retires bring Michael Shenton in as summeriser, he's excellent 

The whole presentation hasn't changed for years and needs a shake up. We have had the same opening titles for years now and although it doesn't seem like a big deal, other programmes on Sky regularly have a change of opening titles and it comes across as though Sky aren't bothered about it's RL programming.

There is no need to have so many people in the commentary box. Hemmings and Clarke is enough. There is no need for Cummings either IMO. Carney has shown himself to be a capable host so him and Jon Wells should have hosting duties.

With Sky having slashed the amount of programmes that they do this won't happen but I would like to see a more extensive Super League Full Time with more than just all the tries with a voice over. A weekly show with Wells breaking down each game the way he does at half time and full time would be good.

• Like 3

It's awful, and gets worse every year!

Friday night they must have spent at least 4 sets rambling about Daryl Powell and which players he's brought into Castleford etc, not one mention of what was happening on the pitch, for a good 3 minutes, maybe more , absolute shoddy and unprofessional, then you have 'Baz n Tez' trying and failing to even speak basic English.

For all his faults, at least Stevo was slightly entertaining and likeable.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Scubby said:

Yep I used to hate Richie Benaud doing cricket over here for 30 years ;)

Well, yes he was - and he was superb too - but rugby commentary is much more, 'in your face', than the much more languid cricket variety, and is also continuous, not just for a while and then handing over to someone else. I'd prefer a UK voice myself.

Dave Woods is ok, but keeping referring to "yards" instead of "metres" grates a bit...

Get Claire Balding on as a commentator, she'd sort the others out :) , and JJB when he stops playing. Him and DW on the BBC streaming of the CC have been good.

Edited by FearNothing

10 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Dave Woods is ok, but keeping referring to "yards" instead of "metres" grates a bit...

Get Claire Balding on as a commentator, she'd sort the others out :) , and JJB when he stops playing. Him and DW on the BBC streaming of the CC have been good.

Balding isn't a commentator, she's a presenter. Different skills.

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Balding isn't a commentator, she's a presenter. Different skills.

I know, but a bit of re-training..... ;)

On 03/02/2018 at 2:39 PM, DavidM said:

Yes , still Cummings carried around telling us the obvious or giving another irrelevant opinion and the two clowns with the same routine and Barry still struggling to coherently communicate . With Eddie still doing what Eddie does and Clark seemingly ever more marginalised .Total overhaul and pairing down needed . Cast of Ben Hur to cover a match is ridiculous . A commentator and more use in games of guys like wells n Carney who are their best assets in that lot 

Cummins adds absolutely nothing imo.  Get rid ASAP.

i would keep Wells, Carney but don’t know who for lead commentator.  Preferably with a clear accent, other than broad Yorkshire or Lancs.  We need an intelligent female in that team also.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Cummins adds absolutely nothing imo.  Get rid ASAP.

i would keep Wells, Carney but don’t know who for lead commentator.  Preferably with a clear accent, other than broad Yorkshire or Lancs.  We need an intelligent female in that team also.

Agree. With Cummins, Barrie and Terry off the roster the Sky team wouldn't be half bad. Then add people one by one on media skills and merit. Or even better just have a rolling guest list like the old days.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Agree. With Cummins, Barrie and Terry off the roster the Sky team wouldn't be half bad. Then add people one by one on media skills and merit. Or even better just have a rolling guest list like the old days.

Agree just pick people on merit not on ticking boxes . See Schoey picked up on some of this in his piece , but obviously sky don’t take in any feedback and just carry on 

Edited by DavidM