Sign in to follow this  
Southerner80

Saints look like Champs

Yes only one game and one in which Cas were very poor yet it must be said a team with Barba, Percival, Roby, Walmsly, Amor, Taia, Fages, Lomax, Richardson etc has alot of skill and physicality and will take some stopping. They were too fast, strong and skilful for Cas last night.

If Barba keeps this up he's back in the NRL soon enough.

4/1 for league leaders shield looks very fair. I might stick a bit down.

10 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Yes only one game and one in which Cas were very poor yet it must be said a team with Barba, Percival, Roby, Walmsly, Amor, Taia, Fages, Lomax, Richardson etc has alot of skill and physicality and will take some stopping. They were too fast, strong and skilful for Cas last night.

4/1 for league leaders shield looks very fair. I might stick a bit down.

Let's not get carried away!  It's been some time since Saints performed so well in their first game of the season but there is a long way to go and with a relatively new coach in place who has yet to see out a season in SL it is difficult to know how consistent we will be and whether we will keep enough fit bodies on the pitch to see any early season promise through to the end of the season.

It's a really, really long season ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

...and that's a potential banana skin, right there. With his history, if the NRL comes sniffing around, will we see Barba maintain his attitude and concentration if he knows the grass is greener Down Under? And that disruption could have wider effects on team morale.

However, they finished 2017 looking really dangerous and exciting, so I'd expect them to be in the mix for all the available trophies on current form.

58 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Will anyone other than Leeds, Saints and Wigan ever win SL?

Not until they share the "Salary Cap and how to Avoid it" secret with everyone else!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Will anyone other than Leeds, Saints and Wigan ever win SL?

Bradford did. Bad example, maybe... :unsure: 

Anyway, we all know this is Warrington's year.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bradford did. Bad example, maybe... :unsure: 

Anyway, we all know this is Warrington's year.

I think for one of them you could comfortably say it will be impossible and out of the reach of them for this year, and the other team playes in Championship one☺

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

...and that's a potential banana skin, right there. With his history, if the NRL comes sniffing around, will we see Barba maintain his attitude and concentration if he knows the grass is greener Down Under? And that disruption could have wider effects on team morale.

However, they finished 2017 looking really dangerous and exciting, so I'd expect them to be in the mix for all the available trophies on current form.

Good point re Barba.  let's hope he stays on point as let's face it NRL quality FBs and HBs in their prime years make the game better to watch here 

1 hour ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Who looks after saints pitch, that was awful last night. Or did they have horse racing on it

It was terrible, wasn't it?  That was a new pitch too, re-laid in the off-season at a cost of £300,000.  No idea what went wrong as previous re-laid pitches didn't cut up like that.

They were very good but Cas were very bad. They need to be judged against opposition who hit back. I haven't seen anything yet that the other top sides wont be able to handle when they are on their games. That said I do expect them to finish top.

4 hours ago, Saintslass said:

It was terrible, wasn't it?  That was a new pitch too, re-laid in the off-season at a cost of £300,000.  No idea what went wrong as previous re-laid pitches didn't cut up like that.

I was shocked by the playing surface. I hope St Helens get some recompense from whoever did the job.

FFS it's the first game of the season. Cas were s***e.

Good to see Barba over here. He looks happy and dedicated. Should have a big season. 

On 2/4/2018 at 11:23 AM, fieldofclothofgold said:

It's one thing looking like champs and another thing becoming champs . Just ask last years league leaders 

Ouch!

Destroying last year’s table toppers?

Winning in France with just 12 men?

It’s beginning to look a lot like ON-mas (or at least all the end of season goodies will be on the correct side of the hill this year).

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Destroying last year’s table toppers?

Winning in France with just 12 men?

It’s beginning to look a lot like ON-mas (or at least all the end of season goodies will be on the correct side of the hill this year).

As I said before, no club wins the title in February. If it’s that simple the SL trophy would be in the cabinet at the Jungle.

Edited by deluded pom?

18 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

As I said before, no club wins the title in February. If it’s that simple the SL trophy would be in the cabinet at the Jungle.

Yes, all said with tongue in cheek a bit.

Although I do think Saints and Wigan have lay an early marker for a run at the League Leaders shield.

Wouldn’t like to predict who would win the Grand Final yet as that to me is about momentum/injuries in the final weeks.

• Thanks 1

Got to say, Saints have started off playing some great rugby.  Defence is strong, the backs, especially Barba, are superb.  I have doubts they’ll hang onto him for next season, contract or not, but they’ll take some stopping this year.

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

This thread could last until October 

True. Just like the Castleford one in 2017? :ph34r:

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1