Schools and Rugby League

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

He's right. If you want to test the theory, after failing to find a phone contact on the many broken links on the RFL website, drop an email to the RFL and the silence is deafening. There's just nobody left - and those who are take an age to respond.

Same if you want to commission a coaching course.....

Same if you want to commission a Match Officials course.....

Mancunians do very well out of our  primary school programme. We deliver in lesson and after school clubs in 7 primary schools across Manchester. As a result we get players coming to the club who are fed into our junior teams. 

We’l be playing in festivals this year and possibly in the new ‘flexible’ offer that the RFL have recently launched. 

I read this failing at school and it's not what I see. I was involved with schools rugby in the late eighties and nineties and it was down to a few teachers and local barla coaches, now Warrington through their foundation coach in every single school. The biggest problem I see is keeping people playing the game as they approach senior rugby. 

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

He's right. If you want to test the theory, after failing to find a phone contact on the many broken links on the RFL website, drop an email to the RFL and the silence is deafening. There's just nobody left - and those who are take an age to respond.

Same if you want to commission a coaching course.....

Same if you want to commission a Match Officials course.....

General enquiries on coaching matters are handled by

Becky Allatt

Performance & Development Officer

The Rugby Football League

0113 2375531 / 07973 852053

Becky.Allatt@rfl.uk.com

CONTACTS

For more information on course dates and venues please visit Rugby League Learning.

Booking on to courses is done so via Coachwise Booker.

They can be contacted on e-mail at rflcourses@coachwise.ltd.uk or by phone on 0113 2015464.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Don’t know mate.  Just trying to help you out.

That'll teach you .... fancy getting in the way of a good moan! Ld, what do you think a forum's for?;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

With articles like this it would be good if the journo maybe provided some stats. How many schools play RL now compared to 20 years ago for example?

Its just a hollow complaint without any detail. Same as always.

Im not aaying hes wrong, but seeing an RFU car is just a nothing point.

Whilst it's great saying we must get schools playing Rugby League,the schools themselves must be interested in the game,rather than paying lip service to it.

My son's school are a prime example.He's in his final year of high school and like a few of his mates has a scholarship at a pro club.

They have played in 2 games in 3 years organised by the school.

Jamie Peacock has launched an academy structure at the school where the lads would play in the college league,train every morning and have lessons in the afternoon.

The school have done nothing to promote it,instead they are only pushing A levels.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

With articles like this it would be good if the journo maybe provided some stats. How many schools play RL now compared to 20 years ago for example?

Its just a hollow complaint without any detail. Same as always.

Im not aaying hes wrong, but seeing an RFU car is just a nothing point.

I went to school in Hull (in another life) and hardly any schools played RL, it was mostly Union.  Some played both, but in the minority.  Most played RU at school and RL when old enough to play open age. I played at 16.

Not news really.  I’ve said RL needs to be improved in schools and have been shot down for it. wouldnt surprise me if more schools played RL now, than then (70s).

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I went to school in Hull (in another life) and hardly any schools played RL, it was mostly Union.  Some played both, but in the minority.  Most played RU at school and RL when old enough to play open age. I played at 16.

Not news really.  I’ve said RL needs to be improved in schools and have been shot down for it. wouldnt surprise me if more schools played RL now, than then (70s).

Unfortunately nobody is really interested in investigating as the headline is there and fits the agreed narrative that the game is on its knees.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately nobody is really interested in investigating as the headline is there and fits the agreed narrative that the game is on its knees.

Indeed.  Ive been into more schools to teach rl than I can remember and many, many times I’ve been a nursemaid for teachers utilising the freed-up time to mark books.  I doubt that’ll change no matter what sport is offered, but we have to keep on pushing for a foothold.

I watched an interview with Jack Nicklaus, who said how they were pressing for more golf in schools, but had to change the game to suit the school environment.  Difficult.

RL has to change its approach or offer a more modified product to encourage easier participation.  Schools tournaments, in my experience, were great.  Doesn’t happen now, that I know of.  Maybe someone will enlighten me.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You are right, I was reading the Warrington foundation report for 2015 and they said they supply coaching to all schools in Warrington and also gave figures of the children who joined amateur clubs from the schools and there were annual targets to reach. I will see if I find their recent reports. 

When I was in middle school (1978/9 to 1981) in Wakefield we had a good schools league for RL.  Now I would be surprised if any still play.

I was at Flanshaw St Michaels and RL was the main sport played.  Other schools I remember are:

Lawfield Lane

Snapethorpe

Crofton

Sandal

Cathederal

Shay Lane

When i moved to high school (Eastmoor), there was 1 RL game played in the 3 years I was there and it was a shambles.

I'm pretty sure St Michaels doesn't play RL anymore as I pass it often and haven't seen RL posts for years now.  

Champion Schools tournament? There is a whole section on the RFL website with fixtures and results.

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in the North East there is a RL tournament for primary schools. When I was at primary school, 40 years ago now, l never had the opportunity to play.

At secondary level, I played for St John Fishers in Dewsbury, where it was the main sport throughout the school, playing matches on a weekly basis against schools from around Yorkshire, but mainly from the Wakefield area. Not sure if that is still the case, but their teams seem to be well represented in the previously mentioned Champion Schools tournament.

1 hour ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Jamie Peacock has launched an academy structure at the school where the lads would play in the college league,train every morning and have lessons in the afternoon.

The school have done nothing to promote it,instead they are only pushing A levels.

Why would you want your child to play rugby and get a BTEC in sport rather than play club rugby and get A-Levels? The academy structure takes a lot of youngsters, disappoints them and then sees them quit at 19. 

17 minutes ago, Roryfellinghamwebb said:

Why would you want your child to play rugby and get a BTEC in sport rather than play club rugby and get A-Levels? The academy structure takes a lot of youngsters, disappoints them and then sees them quit at 19. 

It's his choice.

He still plays for his community club,knows what he wants to do in the future and A levels aren't the be all and end all .

A "one size fits all" education system doesn't' work.

He's more suited to btec , rather than sitting continual exams.

The structure Peacock has put in place offers placements in all aspects of the game,not just the playing side.

I hope that answers your question.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

That'll teach you .... fancy getting in the way of a good moan! Ld, what do you think a forum's for?;)

A good moan? You think that's all acceptable do you? Personally, apart from the common courtesy of replying to emails and phone calls, I'd have thought we should be expecting much more from our Governing Body. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, but I feel his pain.  Frustrating.  Got to find other ways.

Appreciate the concern, but really, there's no pain. In giving yourself up to start and develop a new club away from the heartlands, you have to acknowledge that it's up to you, and you only. 

Having done this before, I know first hand that you should pretty much expect to do everything yourself. You know you have made it when the RFL come asking for quotes for their publications, having had many opportunities previously to avail themselves to the existence and operation of your club. I made it work in Essex, and I will make it work in Nottinghamshire. I don't expect I will get much help from the RFL in the process, but it would be lovely to think they could at least acknowledge my correspondence!

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Archived