8 Feb: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 7.45pm (TV) at Elland Road

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/02/18 at 19:45

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a strange feeling about this game. Leeds will start strong favourites but I think Rervers will put up quite a fight.

Leeds 22 Hull KR 23.

(McGuire dg the winner)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Needs to be a considerable improvement from us for it not to be a dry humping... You never know a better showing from us, or some complacency in the Leeds ranks may make this a close affair.

I suppose what better way to back up getting mauled by Johnstone, then to let Hall have a crack at our wing defence.

After friday's performance I'm rather dreading this one. Only some rather profligate finishing and Liam Finn's wayward goal-kicking saved us from conceding 50+ at home to Wakefield. The prospect of Leed's potentially devastating left side against our out-of-sorts right edge defence is eye watering. Our long-term prospects this year probably depend on us picking up points early, but with several key players injured or lacking game-time on the back of closed season surgery; its all looking a little bleak. The squad we have - albeit lighter than i would have liked - can be a match for most teams in SL, but only when fully fit. Not making excuses - all teams suffer with injuries, can only hope we have got ours out of the way early this season. 

Leeds 38 Hull KR 16

We can only do better than last week and hopefully playing Leeds will raise their game. With players still findind their feet after their off season surgery though this is another game where we will improve as a team as IMO the important thing about this season is making sure we are in peak form as we go into the second half of the season, whether it means we can then push for 7th/8th or to be in top form for the middle 8's.

Super League

LEEDS RHINOS V HULL KINGSTON ROVERS 

THURSDAY 8TH FEBRUARY 
ELLAND ROAD 
KO : 19:45 

Referee: D McGuire
Touch Judges: S Mikalauskas J Smith
Reserve Referee: C Kendall
Reserve Touch Judge: S Houghton
Video Referee: J Child
M Com: G Kershaw
Time Keeper: D Mitchell

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Super League

LEEDS RHINOS V HULL KINGSTON ROVERS 

THURSDAY 8TH FEBRUARY 
ELLAND ROAD 
KO : 19:45 

Referee: D McGuire
Touch Judges: S Mikalauskas J Smith
Reserve Referee: C Kendall
Reserve Touch Judge: S Houghton
Video Referee: J Child
M Com: G Kershaw
Time Keeper: D Mitchell

I wont be there , but I cant even think about Danny Mags playing against Leeds even Barry Mac didn't want to do that after he finished .

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

If only Danny was the Referee.

Instead we have to suffer schoolmaster Hicks,quick to make a decision slow to get it right.

Our favourite Championship Referee,wedded to Rovers unfortunately last year S Mikalauskas, on the line, and Child as the Video Ref.

Is this really the best that SL has to offer?

Don't remember this obsession from a Hull fan with the officials list pre HKR or Leeds games last season.

Bit of a comedian short of material?

14 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

If only Danny was the Referee.

Instead we have to suffer schoolmaster Hicks,quick to make a decision slow to get it right.

Our favourite Championship Referee,wedded to Rovers unfortunately last year S Mikalauskas, on the line, and Child as the Video Ref.

Is this really the best that SL has to offer?

Don't remember this obsession from a Hull fan with the officials list pre HKR or Leeds games last season.

Bit of a comedian short of material?

With posts like this, believe me he'll have a lot of material to work with!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

This is a funny one IMO.

It all points to a very comfortable Rhinos win doesn't it; Leeds played well last week and Rovers got hammered however but I am not so sure!

I would not be surprised if Leeds won at a canter however I suspect that this game has been a target for the Rovers for some time.

They have 5 or 6 Rhinos cast off's who will want nothing more than to put one over on their old club. I think the Robins might just raise their game.

What better way to lay a marker down for their season too.

The Rhinos on the other hand may have one eye on next week. Now I am not saying they wont be committed, but nevertheless no player will want to pick up an injury and lose a seat on the plane to oz.

Leeds have been involved in 6 out of the last 10 WCC games. I wondered how they performed in their SL game immediately prior to the WCC so I had a look.

The first bracket denotes where the opponent finished in the season, the last bracket is the result of the WCC game the following week.

ie:    In 2016 Widnes hammered Leeds 56:12 and they went on to finish 7th in the league. It was the biggest loss of the year for Leeds and they went on to lose the WCC match 38:4.

2016  Widnes (7th) Won 56:12 - Rhinos biggest loss of the year (out of 15) - (L 38:4)
2013  Salford (14th) Lost 42:14 - Rhinos 3rd biggest win of the year (out of 18) - (L 18:14)
2012  Wigan (1st) Won 20:6 -  Rhinos 6th worst loss of the year (out of 11) - (W 26:12)
2010  Salford (12th) Lost 22:10 - Rhinos 9th biggest win of the year (out of 17) - (L 18:10)
2009  Hull KR (4th) Lost 10:19  - Rhinos 14th biggest win of the year (out of 21) - (L 28:20)
2008  Catalan (3rd) Lost 34:6 - Rhinos 8th biggest win of the year (out of 21) - (W 11:4)

So what can I surmise, apart from wasting over an hour of my life which I will never get back?

I think the 2016 form is unreliable. Whilst Leeds had a bad year in general it was greatly exaggerated at the start due to the flooded training ground and being totally decimated by injuries. 

I anticipated finding a lower than average typical performance but I found the opposite. Domestically Leeds often dip before targeted games like the cup, partly because of squad rotation but its also clear training is geared towards a specific opponent in the weeks leading up to the targeted match.

I think Leeds will certainly have trained on for the WCC early and I also think they will be in a higher gear at an earlier part of the season than most. So on that basis it could be a long night for the Robins.

So that has taken the wind out of my sails somewhat. I do think the Robins are unlikely to win but I also think they will raise their game sufficiently to win with the handicap of 20 points, the forecast drizzle might just play into Danny Mags kicking game too.

Having said all that I think i will keep my 50p in my pocket this time!

20 minutes ago, redjonn said:

chuckle - in other words "yer on the fence" "could go either way".... mymrswouldprefersinfield

Exactly!

If only I could condense my thoughts into a few words!

I do think the Robins will raise their game and I do think the weather will play into their hands.

In essence I was also hoping to find that Leeds historically have one eye on the WCC and so under perform the week before. This is not the case however which means I am less confident in the Robins.

If the handicap keeps getting bigger, say 24 points, I will back the Robins with the handicap. The blustery wind will not assist Watkins kicking either and I suspect Golding may play FB tonight which will blunt the attack slightly.

Archived