The Winter Olympics starts this week, opening ceremony on Friday. :)

I find all that hurtling down slippery slopes on skis, luges and bobsleighs quite exhilarating to watch on the telly.

Less keen on the slow stuff like curling.

Haven't checked the TV guides yet to see what time of day the live stuff will be broadcast, I'm not up to speed on the time difference with PyeongChang.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

The Winter Olympics starts this week, opening ceremony on Friday. :)

I find all that hurtling down slippery slopes on skis, luges and bobsleighs quite exhilarating to watch on the telly.

Less keen on the slow stuff like curling.

Haven't checked the TV guides yet to see what time of day the live stuff will be broadcast, I'm not up to speed on the time difference with PyeongChang.

I can't recall the exact quotation but somebody described the Winter Olympics as twenty different ways of sliding. I really like some of the newer events like boardercross.

GB have some medal chances, so it may be time to brush up on your curling knowledge John. :smile:

Ski Cross and Boarder Cross are inspired additions to the Winter Olympics. Previous attempts at introducing new sports have been, er, mixed, with Short Track Speed Skating being a palpable hit and Ski Dance being, well, take a look for yourselves.

• Like 1

I am a big Olympics fan, Winter or Summer, and I am looking forward to the shenanigans in S. Korea this month.

• Like 2

Opening Ceremony on Friday, but some sports start tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Opening Ceremony on Friday, but some sports start tomorrow.

Ah, so it's not just Rugby League that does things like that! :)

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ski Cross and Boarder Cross are inspired additions to the Winter Olympics. Previous attempts at introducing new sports have been, er, mixed, with Short Track Speed Skating being a palpable hit and Ski Dance being, well, take a look for yourselves.

That's brilliant! The icy equivalent of forcing all the contestants on Strictly to dance whilst wearing clown shoes.

Bring it back!! ;)

13 hours ago, longboard said:

GB have some medal chances, so it may be time to brush up on your curling knowledge John. :smile:

Brush up, I see what you did there! :biggrin:

12 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Ah, so it's not just Rugby League that does things like that! :)

Cross-country skiing, Curling and Ski Jumping

I don't follow any of the sports at all (certainly since Ski Sunday stopped being the focal point of Sunday evening TV) outside the window of the Winter Olympics, but every 4 years I get glued to it. Skeleton bob in particular is for nutters. Brave nutters, but nutters nonetheless.

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'm glad you got a handle on it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iffleyox said:

I don't follow any of the sports at all (certainly since Ski Sunday stopped being the focal point of Sunday evening TV) outside the window of the Winter Olympics, but every 4 years I get glued to it. Skeleton bob in particular is for nutters. Brave nutters, but nutters nonetheless.

I don't know why Iffers, but I had you down as a likely member of the St Moritz Tobogganing Cub.

16 hours ago, longboard said:

I don't know why Iffers, but I had you down as a likely member of the St Moritz Tobogganing Cub.

Someone once told me the definition of a gentleman was someone who'd done the Cresta Run but never talked about it. I do have a friend in the Shuttlecock Club.

Anyway, I *go* skiing, but I don't follow it in the media!

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Someone once told me the definition of a gentleman was someone who'd done the Cresta Run but never talked about it. I do have a friend in the Shuttlecock Club.

Hard cheese for your friend.

Downhill or cross country?

The Canadian team just had its first confrontation with the Russians; happened in the cafeteria; we're taking those drug cheats down!

32 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Downhill or cross country?

downhill - why use your legs when you've got access to perfectly serviceable gravity??

• Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 10:11 AM, John Drake said:

19 hours ago, longboard said:

I'm glad you got a handle on it. 

Curling might not be the most exciting sport to watch, but you need to have massive stones to compete in it at the Olympics.

• Like 2

downhill - why use your legs when you've got access to perfectly serviceable gravity??

Because it feels so good to drive that upper body to the complete  limits on the expert hill climbs silly!  Ever try to telemark??????

32 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Because it feels so good to drive that upper body to the complete  limits on the expert hill climbs silly!  Ever try to telemark??????

yes, with the Navy in Antarctica. I concede that being forced to do it in extreme conditions may have something to do with my antipathy.

I want a decent integrated lift system, a variety of cafes, and apres-ski when I'm skiing for pleasure!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

yes, with the Navy in Antarctica. I concede that being forced to do it in extreme conditions may have something to do with my antipathy.

I want a decent integrated lift system, a variety of cafes, and apres-ski when I'm skiing for pleasure!

Softy.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Softy.

...with a decent integrated lift system, a variety of cafes, and apres ski ;)

I'm happy with that!

• Haha 1