Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Headingley redevelopment

29 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

The houses could purchased and the ginnel diverted behind the back of any new structure without much issue I would think.

Looks like there's probably 3 sets of semis or 6 houses and appear to be selling for £250,000 a pop. Or £1.5m before you draw a plan. I would suspect it comes down to cash and willingness. 

It's not particularly to do with the finances (well it might be if the extra capacity wasn't worth it). It's the willingness or ability of Leeds and the council to go all out to fight against local residents to demolish a bunch of houses on the right hand side of the view below and open this street up to the back end of a modern sports stadium. It would be a huge, huge fight.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4fbf23c1132a37906c37a2108edaeec.jpeg

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's not particularly to do with the finances (well it might be if the extra capacity wasn't worth it). It's the willingness or ability of Leeds and the council to go all out to fight against local residents to demolish a bunch of houses on the right hand side of the view below and open this street up to the back end of a modern sports stadium. It would be a huge, huge fight.

it certainly would conservationists would get involved too . Look at the furore when they tried to sell green belt land for housing close to residences to finance the present development. I still think behind the scenes talks are ongoing 

19 minutes ago, M j M said:

Depends how they do it. Looking at an airial view if the 6 semis were demolished and assuming a rectangle starting no further out that the existing perimeter on the North Stand side it’s wouldn’t encroach a lot further out than the ginnel on the South Stand side. It fact it would probably only bite into the gardens on the south side. The rest of the land could be left as public space and planted to hide the stand. That said, not convinced I would want to live next door. 

And what’s the Carnegie Stand hold. 4,500, perhaps 3,500 in the east? £25 a ticket. Even full that’s only £1.2 a season. Carnegie cost £7m. Perhaps West would cost same including Houses. Doable? 

Edited by The 4 of Us

3 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Depends how they do it. Looking at an airial view if the 6 semis were demolished and assuming a rectangle starting no further out that the existing perimeter on the North Stand side it’s wouldn’t encroach a lot further out than the ginnel on the South Stand side. It fact it would probably only bite into the gardens on the south side. The rest of the land could be left as public space and planted to hide the stand. That said, not convinced I would want to live next door. 

And what’s the Carnegie Stand hold. 4,500, perhaps 3,500 in the east? £25 a ticket. Even full that’s only £1.2 a season. Carnegie cost £7m. Perhaps West would cost same including Houses. Doable? 

Doable yes , but Like M j M has stated do able is not the hard part ,that is getting planning permission . Its taken years to get permission for the south stand and that was quite a distance from houses 

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Leeds won't develop the away end as they don't care about the away fans. 

no the care about the stadium ,its been outlined time and time again 

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Utter rubbish,you do know away fans can get tickets for ANY part of the ground.

Lots of Leeds fans also stand on the Western Terrace,so technically it isn't the "away end".

Edited by terrywebbisgod
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Possibly, possibly not. The Carnegie Stand has corporate in it which they flog at £150/game plus the building of the thing was made a financial no-brainer by subletting some of the space as teaching area to the Poly. I honestly can't visualise that Leeds would need even more corporate capacity in a potential western stand and Carnegie don't flash the cash as much as they used to so the economics of a build at that end, even before spending £1m+ on buying houses and legal fights starts to look difficult.

The cover they do have provisional planning permission for at that end would get nodded through easily enough though I think. But it wouldn't add anything to capacity (in fact it would marginally reduce it).

50 minutes ago, M j M said:

I always feel sorry for away fans when it raining tbh. I'm sure I've seen plans on here of a roof over the western terrace. 

I cant ever see the club expanding or rebuilding the western terrace but I'm surprised the club aren't expanding to 25K, the current capacity (before the redevelopment) is 20-21k I believe. 

I suppose it's always an option, so far they've done quite well with a limited amount of space 

2 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I always feel sorry for away fans when it raining tbh. I'm sure I've seen plans on here of a roof over the western terrace.

This is the '95 version of the masterplan  - the western end has never made any sense to me in terms of how it could be squeezed in - and was subsequently rejected when the masterplan came up for outline planning. Which is why Leeds cobbled together a rudimentary cover which was OK'd as part of the overall council-approved long-term plan.

image.jpeg.407a00c314d62d9b8e8c80a5983c883b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, M j M said:

This is the '95 version of the masterplan  - the western end has never made any sense to me in terms of how it could be squeezed in - and was subsequently rejected when the masterplan came up for outline planning. Which is why Leeds cobbled together a rudimentary cover which was OK'd as part of the overall council-approved long-term plan.

image.jpeg.407a00c314d62d9b8e8c80a5983c883b.jpeg

Glad that never happended. Looks like a mini Elland Road.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I cant ever see the club expanding or rebuilding the western terrace but I'm surprised the club aren't expanding to 25K, the current capacity (before the redevelopment) is 20-21k I believe. 

I suppose it's always an option, so far they've done quite well with a limited amount of space 

At least one Leeds fan has a heart... not to mention eggs and rubbish launched into the away end from the street!

8 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

what street?

Forget the street,with the depth from street level to the back of the Western Terrace ,I can only think the throwers must have been Steve Backley and Leeds own Mick Hill.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2018 at 8:56 PM, yipyee said:

There is no away end at Headingley 

39 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

There is no away end at Headingley 

Best tell Leeds that as when they send ticket allocations to visiting clubs it’s just for one end

I've just seen the latest image of the now almost complete temporary north stand and the poster commented that its the same size as the western terrace. I know the club still has aspirations to have a larger western terrace  but meanwhile why cant they have a temporary western end ? or erect a temporary roof ?

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

They should have just sold the land to the cricket club and relocated. Would have been cheaper too

do not talk nonsense ! How on Earth could YCC afford to buy The RL ground when they had to get a loan from Leeds City Council to buy the Cricket ground from Leeds Rugby League football club .I will repeat if you are going to post do not post nonsense . 

1 minute ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

do not talk nonsense ! How on Earth could YCC afford to buy The RL ground when they had to get a loan from Leeds City Council to buy the Cricket ground from Leeds Rugby League football club .I will repeat if you are going to post do not post nonsense . 

Well if they took a loan to buy half of the site it's not rocket science how they would fund getting the other half (or quarter depending on how you look at it)

The money spent on redevelopment would have paid for a super stadium with cash to spare.. 

23 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Well if they took a loan to buy half of the site it's not rocket science how they would fund getting the other half (or quarter depending on how you look at it)

The money spent on redevelopment would have paid for a super stadium with cash to spare.. 

Leeds RLFC would never have built a new stadium. When YCCC we're going to move to Wakefield, Leeds RL would have moved to Elland Road and sell Headingley to pay off their debts.

Sounds like  balls up all round! Surely if the union side commit to a new stadium this could be budgeted for. A new venue makes more sense as no final stadium plan seems to be in place