Barrow hold Toronto to a draw 8-8

Whatever way you look at it this is a poor result for TWP against the weakest squad in the league.  Even last year they leaked a fair few points in spells of matches that they were dominating.  I'm not sure they're a ruthless machine of a team yet, but I still have them as favourites to win the league, I'd be very surprised if they don't end up at least top 2. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Whatever way you look at it this is a poor result for TWP against the weakest squad in the league.  Even last year they leaked a fair few points in spells of matches that they were dominating.  I'm not sure they're a ruthless machine of a team yet, but I still have them as favourites to win the league, I'd be very surprised if they don't end up at least top 2. 

Bit harsh calling Barrow the weakest squad in the league !!!!!!! Think you'll find we'll do ok this year. The pack is awesome and we have a classy back line. 

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

I am glad this draw happened as it would be boring seeing the top 5 blow away all the other clubs week after week.

this is the best part. Next week the two undefeated teams play each other...Fev and London!.

it's going to be a great season!

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

They have the potential to be a ruthless machine...but the engine is still a bit ruff and not firing on all cylinders, there are a few pings...but if that baby gets tuned up with a bit of jet fuel watch out.  Barrow played well in bad conditions, good defense, they deserve credit.

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

weather is a leveller as you need to go to a basic skills model, barrow as the home team and used to the weather and did well playing to their game plan A

nearly all of Toronto's team would be as used to Northern Englands winter rugby as the Barrow team are .

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Bit harsh...

All blacks draw in Cumbria comes to mind.. 

weather is a leveller as you need to go to a basic skills model, barrow as the home team and used to the weather and did well playing to their game plan A

Toronto had to revert to Game plan B and very nearly won.

I am glad this draw happened as it would be boring seeing the top 5 blow away all the other clubs week after week.

What has the All Blacks got to do with it?? I am not talking about rugby union. In Rugby League, a professional team should win easily against non professionals if they get their prep right. The laws/nature of the sport dictates that.

I mentioned in my post NZ - Scotland from the 4 Nations as an example of where part timers simply wanted it more. If this happened with Toronto then they need to have a look at themselves, as a professional performance means they should win easily. Just look at the Challenge Cup results over the last 10 years or so. There is the odd outlier, but the nature of Rugby League (teams ability to get a roll on etc) means that part timers really struggle to compete.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

58 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

this is the best part. Next week the two undefeated teams play each other...Fev and London!.

it's going to be a great season!

Drawing with Barrow will have sent a message to all the other clubs in the league that they are far from invincible and if Barrow can do it then so can we , results like yesterdays invigorates other teams and they will play with a lot more confidence against you , you may find it could be a long nervy road ahead .

Full match replay on Freesports TV at 5pm this evening and 3pm tomorrow afternoon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think the news that expansion isn’t happening in Super Leagues means there’ll be very few meaningless games in the Championship at both ends of the table.

I’ll stick my neck out and say that Leigh (or maybe even Fev) will rack up a biggish lead over the Wolfpack at the top of the table in the first half of the season.

Then as Toronto’s home advantage kicks in the second half of the season it will be interesting to see if they can reel in the leaders before the 8s start.

7 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Drawing with Barrow will have sent a message to all the other clubs in the league that they are far from invincible and if Barrow can do it then so can we , results like yesterdays invigorates other teams and they will play with a lot more confidence against you , you may find it could be a long nervy road ahead .

might seem weird to some but this is what we (definitely me) were looking foreword to this year...tougher tests and no guaranteed blowouts every game. We are thankful for everyone's efforts in making us a SL team.

expecting similar conditions for next weeks game at Fax, they have a grass pitch too?

Just now, Krzzystuff said:

might seem weird to some but this is what we (definitely me) were looking foreword to this year...tougher tests and no guaranteed blowouts every game. We are thankful for everyone's efforts in making us a SL team.

expecting similar conditions for next weeks game at Fax, they have a grass pitch too?

Yes it's grass.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes it's grass.

if i were Brierly i would go to a farmers field and practice kicking out of the mire in perpetration. Need those conversion points in the tough mudders.

16 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Thats what we want, that is what we are searching for...that is what we relish!  We want some fun like how a cat plays with a mouse.

The Pack wants to play, the wolves are getting restless, we need to get our entertainment somehow, to us its not a bad thing but a good thing...we WANT a challenge....as in CHALLENGE CUP!

Bringin that Challenge Cup home to Toronto where it belongs..

"Run With The Pack!"

53 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Surely as most of the TWP players are British, they have been playing in the weather conditions encountered at Barrow since they started playing as amateurs.

This.

I said on another thread. The only ones that would find the conditions a culture shock were the Aussies. Everyone else would have played their junior rugby in the winter. The NCL only went to summer a few years ago.

Apart from York last year the only other team to give the Wolfpack a hard test was Siddal and that was in the mud last year.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

This.

I said on another thread. The only ones that would find the conditions a culture shock were the Aussies. Everyone else would have played their junior rugby in the winter. The NCL only went to summer a few years ago.

Apart from York last year the only other team to give the Wolfpack a hard test was Siddal and that was in the mud last year.

well we did draw the cougars as well last year but yeah Siddal was the first ever game and it was close one. Mud League is a totally different playing style to normal conditions but good to see a few times a year i think.

59 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

well we did draw the cougars as well last year but yeah Siddal was the first ever game and it was close one. Mud League is a totally different playing style to normal conditions but good to see a few times a year i think.

I'd forgotten the Cougars

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

if i were Brierly i would go to a farmers field and practice kicking out of the mire in perpetration. Need those conversion points in the tough mudders.

Conditions in Yorkshire haven’t been as bad as over the other side but the Shay is also used by the town’s soccer team.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived