Loved this.

Dave Woods

As a young cub reporter covering my first game at Barrows Craven Park I knocked on the Barrow dressing room door and faced the great "Steve (Knocker) Norton, the  Barrow coach.  

" Excuse me Mr Norton, can I have the Barrow team sheet please?"

Steve Norton " For ten bob you can have the whole team"😂

Any more cracking quotes?

• Like 5

Eddie Waring, referring to a player who'd received a blow to his plums "Don't rub 'em lad... just count 'em". A line later recycled in the play and film Up'n'under.

• Like 3

From Barrow v Toronto on Sunday, as Dave Woods compared conditions to that of a snow-globe, Nobby quietly murmured "the precious things".

Which will mean nothing unless you've watched The League of Gentlemen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I was told this by someone who heard a David Watkins after-dinner speech.

One of my old team mates was often in trouble on the field and was regularly described in the press as "temperamental". This was true; he was 50% temper and 50% mental.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Eddie Waring, referring to a player who'd received a blow to his plums "Don't rub 'em lad... just count 'em". A line later recycled in the play and film Up'n'under.

I bet that is an old quote from cricket that Eddie pinched.

17 minutes ago, Steve Fox said:

I bet that is an old quote from cricket that Eddie pinched.

There's one theory that it originated from Footballer Dixie Dean. No idea whether this is either accurate or, if so, the first instance. But it apparently followed a tackle which eventually led to the loss of a testicle, so was at least prescient.

Vince Karalius....  "I always enjoyed it more if there was a body or two lying about: it made the job a bit more interesting." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Barrow coach Frank Foster on Eddie Szymala ‘’Eddie doesn’t know the meaning of the word fear. Mind you, there are a million other words he doesn’t know the meaning of, either.’

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The inimitable Mick Morgan has to be included here:

Just a couple of quotes then, not necessarily the most famous of his outbursts on Cas video match commentaries:

For those who remember early Coronation Street:

”The last time Cas got a penalty Gail Platt was on her first husband.”

... and another of his little gems...

Prop Danny Ward went 60 yards for a try and Mick’s throwaway line was ... ‘He doesn’t go that far on his holidays’.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 3

Shouted at the whistler from Whitehaven's main stand, as he helped assist a concussed Chorley player from the Recre pitch:

"You can come off an' all, ref, 'cos you're in the same bl**** state."

Former Leeds half-back Neil Hague, describing (in his autobiography, IIRC) away trips to west Cumbria:

"It's like stepping off the end of the world."

The late Milton Huddart, classy ex-Whitehaven loose forward:

"It doesn't bother me that I'm not as good as my dad (Dick) because neither are 20,000 others."

Fred Lindop once told me that on his refereeing debut at the Boulevard he walked up to the local bobby on duty and said "I'm glad to see you're here". The copper turned to him and said "You can f*** off. You're on your own today".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Mal Reilly:

"I always looked to get my retaliation in first"

Ellery Hanley during his coaching career:

"The players didn't use the most important space on the pitch, that between their ears!"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bearman said:

Loved this.

Dave Woods

As a young cub reporter covering my first game at Barrows Craven Park I knocked on the Barrow dressing room door and faced the great "Steve (Knocker) Norton, the  Barrow coach.  

" Excuse me Mr Norton, can I have the Barrow team sheet please?"

Steve Norton " For ten bob you can have the whole team"😂

Any more cracking quotes?

Good old Knocker.

Great idea for a topic too.

Unsure if I’ve posted this before but a pal of mine was at Fev for Newloves return after going to Bradford.  One wag apparently shouted:

’aye Newlove.  We’ve seen yer ffing company car.  Forgotten yer roots already have yer?  There’s a perfectly good bus route between Fev and Bradford’.

12 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I was told this by someone who heard a David Watkins after-dinner speech.

One of my old team mates was often in trouble on the field and was regularly described in the press as "temperamental". This was true; he was 50% temper and 50% mental.

Watkins was apparently having a torrid time getting to grips with the defensive side of the game on his debut at Salford. After another missed tackle he heard somebody call out "Fer ######'s sake Watkins, 'it 'im with yer wallet".  

When Andy Gregory and Steve Hampson went to play for Illawarra they were picked to play the day after landing. The coach said “I know you two are jet lagged so give me a big 40 minutes and we will pull you off at half time”. Greg looks at Hampo and says “ f*** me, we only got a cup of tea at Wigan....”

Edited by Derwent
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Shaun Wane played against Hull in 1983, one of his early games for Wigan. Knocker Norton hit Wane in a tackle hard and as he got up Knocker said "so you're Wigan's so called up and coming star".

The next time Knocker took the ball up for Hull Wane hit him hard and put him on his backside, as Norton got to his feet Wane said, "so your Hulls old fekin has been are you".

One from Bill Ashurst

Bill was notorious for not liking training. At one of his first training sessions at Penrith he was larking about rather than taking part in training.

Bob Tapper shouted at Bill, "Bill, If you don't want to do it eff off"

Bill walked off got showered and went home.

Next day he was hauled up before the board of Penrith accused of being in breach of contract for not finishing training.

When he was asked why he didn't finish training Bill said "I was just doing as I was told".

Bill then asked Tapper what he had said to him, Tapper said he had told him "If you don't want to do it eff off".

There you are Mr. Chairman, "I didn't want to do it so I did as I was told and feked off".

Ray Ashton in his time as Workington coach talking about a player who shall remain nameless “that lad’s kicking game is amazing he can land it on a 10p piece. Trouble is, the 10p is usually in some blokes pocket in the grandstand”.

15 hours ago, Padge said:

Shaun Wane played against Hull in 1983, one of his early games for Wigan. Knocker Norton hit Wane in a tackle hard and as he got up Knocker said "so you're Wigan's so called up and coming star".

The next time Knocker took the ball up for Hull Wane hit him hard and put him on his backside, as Norton got to his feet Wane said, "so your Hulls old fekin has been are you".

I went to a Sportsman's evening at a pub in Standish a few years ago.  Shaun Wane was one the speakers, he said that when the Wigan chairman came to sign him (not sure if it was Lindsay)  all the kids in their street gathered around his Jag.  Never seen a tax disc before!

• Haha 2