Sign in to follow this  
burke

Australian ref

Really enjoyed watching the Wigan v Hull match as I thought the holding down / laying on was policed perfectly bay the Australian ref. Both sets of players soon realized that they were not going to get cheap penalties for holding down and just got on with the game. The ref only penalized twice for holding down and they were blatant. Players stopped throwing their arms up in the air at every play of the ball begging for a pen, players stopped diving in the tackle trying to win a penalty.

Compare this to the Leeds Hull KR match, where Ablett and Cuthbertson won penalties for been held down, tries were scored of the back of these. In both instances the correct decision would have been to penalize the Leeds players for cheating. 

For me its the blight on our game, and yet when we get to big games the English refs change their style and ref like our Australian friend on Saturday morning.   

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, burke said:

Really enjoyed watching the Wigan v Hull match as I thought the holding down / laying on was policed perfectly bay the Australian ref. Both sets of players soon realized that they were not going to get cheap penalties for holding down and just got on with the game. The ref only penalized twice for holding down and they were blatant. Players stopped throwing their arms up in the air at every play of the ball begging for a pen, players stopped diving in the tackle trying to win a penalty.

Compare this to the Leeds Hull KR match, where Ablett and Cuthbertson won penalties for been held down, tries were scored of the back of these. In both instances the correct decision would have been to penalize the Leeds players for cheating. 

For me its the blight on our game, and yet when we get to big games the English refs change their style and ref like our Australian friend on Saturday morning.   

The referee must be quite relieved, as he got death threats last time he reffed a game involving English players (England v Tonga at the RWC).

Totally agree. The Aussie Ref concentrated on the plays not the players. Big improvement if Hicks Child etc were disciplined for any fraternisation with players, the players are players not personalities or should be to the Refs. The Refs are there to referee not be part of the "show".

10 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

The Refs are there to referee not be part of the "show".

Not on this forum they're not!;)

That's because several of the established SL refs are full of themselves and are poorly managed. New Refs may make mistakes ...we all do...but this is acceptable, some of the established refs are more concerned about being in with the "stars".

Might help if we weren't told in advance who is allocated and if their names were purely background info. Similarly have anonymous Video Refs....why do we need to boost their egos. Judge them on their decisions.

I’ve had no issues with the referees I’ve seen so far this year. I didn’t think the Aussie bloke was in any way superior.