Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

No change to SL. P*** poor journalists speculation

Recommended Posts

 

“On that point: once again, there is a load of speculation and a lot of it comes from really ****-poor journalists in my opinion – journalists who should know better, who should have a grasp of the facts rather than just a fantasy.“

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-expansion-leeds-rhinos-1200855

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

 

“On that point: once again, there is a load of speculation and a lot of it comes from really ****-poor journalists in my opinion – journalists who should know better, who should have a grasp of the facts rather than just a fantasy.“

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-expansion-leeds-rhinos-1200855

Morning LD!

As you know I'm not a fan of journos on the whole but I have the feeling this may not be just down to them.

Gary H, and expansion .........mmmmmmmm?

Less money for the Rhinos so into the waste bin. Self-interest always rules, doesn't it?

On another note like the Angevins we've finally admitted defeat and are leaving L'hexagon for good. Hope all is well with you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure you can blame speculative journalism. The fact all clubs where to be informed prior  to the 2018 season  on the outcome of a restructure for 2019 and then that put on the back burner,sort of leaves this statement contradictory to the original facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To echo a point made by Martyn Sadler a couple of weeks ago on here, perhaps "poor" journalism could be avoided if there was more transparency on the difficult subjects from the people involved with making the decisions. A willingness to discuss them would be a start. 

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously Ian Leneghan has a different view (see other thread)

 

Quote

 

“Super League will be an international competition in five years’ time,” Lenagan said.

“I believe at that time, as well as the English clubs, we’ll have Toulouse, we’ll have Perpignan, we’ll have Toronto, we’ll probably have New York within that time scale.

 

Perhaps those four new teams will simply replace existing clubs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are fairly embarrassing quotes, and not just on account of the laguage involved.

If it was so clear that there are to be no changes, those in charge could have put out a very clear statement that this was the case and that the structure will remain the same. They haven't been able to because, I.believe, they haven't yet decided. 

It is the job of journalists to unearth that clarity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

 

“On that point: once again, there is a load of speculation and a lot of it comes from really ****-poor journalists in my opinion – journalists who should know better, who should have a grasp of the facts rather than just a fantasy.“

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-expansion-leeds-rhinos-1200855

I think the issue is the nature of how journalists have changed in general.

Sport Journalists used to have contacts and in-depth knowledge in the game.

A lot of the writing now is ill-informed opinion taken directly from press releases.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary's position, which we have reported previously in League Express, is that the current league structure is part of the deal with Sky Sports.

So it can't be changed unless someone can persuade Sky to allow the change in their broadcasting contract.

And so far no one has done that, even though plenty of other clubs would like to.

I'm not quite sure why Gary would want to generalise so widely about Rugby League journalists.

And just because he says it, it doesn't mean it's true.

If you're going to criticise someone it's better to be more direct and specific.

Part of the problem is that these days the RFL seems to behave almost like a secret society, not communicating its decisions publicly.

Greater transparency would go some way to solving the problem.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Gary's position, which we have reported previously in League Express, is that the current league structure is part of the deal with Sky Sports.

So it can't be changed unless someone can persuade Sky to allow the change in their broadcasting contract.

And so far no one has done that, even though plenty of other clubs would like to.

I'm not quite sure why Gary would want to generalise so widely about Rugby League journalists.

And just because he says it, it doesn't mean it's true.

If you're going to criticise someone it's better to be more direct and specific.

Part of the problem is that these days the RFL seems to behave almost like a secret society, not communicating its decisions publicly.

Greater transparency would go some way to solving the problem.

First of all is that correct? I don't see how the Sky deal can be part of the deal as the Middle 8's were brought into being well after the contract or is he only referring to the number of teams involved?

If the SL/RFL management can't change their own league without Sky's say-so then it is a bad deal and those who agreed to it under those terms need to be ousted.Was Gary one of them?

Gary is stating the Rhino's position on this not the game's and if they can veto 14 clubs they clearly will.

No he shouldn't be generalising and as it is the lack of information and the information leaked that all journalism is based on he should be looking among the people next to him at SL/RFL meetings rather than the journalists whose job it is to look for a story.

And yes the RFL certainly needs to be more outgoing and transparent but they have stated clearly on this very issue that they have delayed this in order to come to the right decision (reported on Total RL I think) which of course is not much of a story whereas Gary bashing journos makes for good column inches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So perhaps someone, a journalist maybe, could find out whether a change to the SL structure is possible under this contract?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See and I thought this was going to be about various pundits "team by team season previews" 

 

Which are also p*$$ poor and I'll informed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Those are fairly embarrassing quotes, and not just on account of the laguage involved.

If it was so clear that there are to be no changes, those in charge could have put out a very clear statement that this was the case and that the structure will remain the same. They haven't been able to because, I.believe, they haven't yet decided. 

It is the job of journalists to unearth that clarity.

The question is who are those in charge. I read all of this as political positioning by individual chairmen attempting to establish their personal positions ahead of SLE attempting to control the whole shooting match. Nobody is in charge of anything, the RFL is simply being run by a stand-in with no authority to actually do anything except for the day to day administration, and the SL chairmen seem reluctant to get together and properly hammer things out.

Just be thankful we don't run the country like this ..................oh, just a minute!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit that I was under the impression that the current structure was part of the Sky deal and wasn't up for renegotiation. I'm also with those that think that we're not going to get as good a financial deal next time round - there's been talk in the city pages of the media that the reason that Sky and BT have been cuddling up with each other in spite of their mutual loathing is to drive down the cost of the next soccer contract which they both think that they overpaid for last time round.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where in the world was Gary Hetherington when he deigned to speak to an Australian journalist?

Am I now to believe that the Super League owners club are in a similar position to the RFL where the left hand doesn't know where the right hand is positioned,let alone what it is doing?

How are the British based journalists meant to know what is happening when the club owners are in complete disarray?

Managing to make the RFL look proficient is quite an accomplishment.

This is all going splendidly....Please let the people in Toronto or New York take over.Reserve sides and player pathway(s) please...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Mascord on the RFL payroll? He seems to have access to publish articles on rugby-league.com all the time? Seems unusual when looking at the content of some of them. 

Edited by Spidey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I think the issue is the nature of how journalists have changed in general.

Sport Journalists used to have contacts and in-depth knowledge in the game.

A lot of the writing now is ill-informed opinion taken directly from press releases.

 

 

The biggest problem with sports (and other) journalists is most have been made redundant. All that's left is kids, fresh from a useless 'media studies' course, being paid peanuts to produce 'churnalism'. That's why so much press release bilge is simply regurgitated, word for semi-literate word. There's nobody left to either check anything or rewrite it. The nature of journalism has changed because of lack of investment in talent and experience. It's the same with rugby league: field a team of youngsters, and they'll flounder.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems pretty clear to me - major infighting seems to be going on for control of the game.  Or, the top flight at least.

Again

Facilitated by the near-complete lack of transparency (and executive vacuum) at the RFL.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adeybull said:

Seems pretty clear to me - major infighting seems to be going on for control of the game.  Or, the top flight at least.

Again

Facilitated by the near-complete lack of transparency (and executive vacuum) at the RFL.

 

I'm not sure that's fair Adey.

This is what many wanted. I wanted the SLE clubs to take charge so that they no longer had a scapegoat, don't let them off with it by still blaming the RFL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The question is who are those in charge. I read all of this as political positioning by individual chairmen attempting to establish their personal positions ahead of SLE attempting to control the whole shooting match. Nobody is in charge of anything, the RFL is simply being run by a stand-in with no authority to actually do anything except for the day to day administration, and the SL chairmen seem reluctant to get together and properly hammer things out.

Just be thankful we don't run the country like this ..................oh, just a minute!

Exactly.

And, for European Union read Rugby Union (as to who will gain from the internal turmoil), and the parallels are even closer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'No chance' of Super League expansion as Leeds chief Gary Hetherington blasts 'p***-poor journalists'

e1fqHBx.gif.8abbe503d132a9a59d59b903c4f702d3.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure that's fair Adey.

This is what many wanted. I wanted the SLE clubs to take charge so that they no longer had a scapegoat, don't let them off with it by still blaming the RFL.

I probably did not make my meaning clear.

The continuing lack of transparency at the RFL, plus now the power vacuum and (seems to me) probable coronation of Rimmer to me facilitates a situation where we cannot be sure ANYONE is really acting in the best interests of the whole game?

If I was a SL club chairman, maybe concerned mostly with the interests of my own club and the hell with the rest of the game, I might be quite happy for this situation to continue.  And see a "tame" CEO appointed.  Since...yes...the RFL will be the scapegoat, and most of what matters will REALLY be decided by me and my fellow SL chairmen.  Or a majority of them, anyway.

Fortunately, all the SL club chairmen are doubtless honourable, altruistic gentlemen acting for the good of the wider game, are they not? So my hypothetical analysis could not really eventuate.  Could it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure that's fair Adey.

This is what many wanted. I wanted the SLE clubs to take charge so that they no longer had a scapegoat, don't let them off with it by still blaming the RFL.

The RFL don't get to be portrayed as a scapegoat. They have the ultimate responsibility for the game. That's their job. However difficult it may be that is what they are paid for. To lead. Even the unwilling. Like a prime minister or president the buck stops with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here