John Drake

17 Feb: South Sydney Rabbitohs v Wigan Warriors KO 8.45am (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• South Sydney Rabbitohs
    • Wigan Warriors

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/17/2018 at 08:45 AM

44 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Wigan are the reigning WC Champions. It doesn't matter what you think, or that you don't like the idea, they are, move on.

Fair play to Wigan on winning the 2017 WCC, it was well deserved and an acheivement of some note (if I had Shauns number I'd definitely have sent a text to congratulate him). 

That doesn't change the fact that the merits of the 5th place SL team traveling to Australia during the season to play the 12th placed NRL team is lost on me.  It devalues the idea of a world club challenge in my opinion.

Edited by Gates1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Fair play to Wigan on winning the 2017 WCC, it was well deserved and an acheivement of some note (if I had Shauns number I'd definitely have sent a text to congratulate him). 

That doesn't change the fact that the merits of the 5th place SL team traveling to Australia during the season to play the 12th placed NRL team is lost on me.  It devalues the idea of a world club challenge in my opinion.

I would say that Wigan can still consider themselves as World Club Champions up until around 10:45am ish UK time on Friday when either Leeds or Melbourne will have earned the right to the title.

Neither Wigan or Hull FC have ever claimed they were in this year's WCC so I don't see how the WCC has been devalued.

Anyway, everyone should know that the WCC* are my lot, goodness knows we've made enough noise about it for the last couple of years.

(*Winners of the Challenge Cup. B))

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Prerty much.  It appears they just said we haven't qualified for the world series this year, let's see if we can find an NRL club who will play us in a friendly and pretend it's the world series! "

You must be incredibly naive to think that given the fact the trip was announced in July, a full two months before Wigan were even eliminated from top 4 contention. Its been a huge process to bring it together,  planning that began on the back of the title success in 2016.

Edited by Bilko
  • Like 1

How so? Read my post and you'll see AR,GI, Cody Walker, Murray & Anus Crichton are all injured, Sam , Gagai & Sutton are being rested. 

Given I'm doing the 1000km round trip with my family to watch the game I would have loved to have seen a full strength Rabbitohs team but not much the club can do if players aren't fit is there?

Edited by RabbitRhinoovOZ

Why would a team risk half fit or underdone players in their first trial of the year? It'd be great if Souths had a full strength team out, but that was always unlikely. Hopefully Wigan are good enough to take advantage, and show the Aussie fans something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Well this match is a bit of a non-event now.

Wigan should win and win big, if the Rabbits come within 20 points then Wigan should be ashamed of themselves.

The nsw tourist board have stumped up several hundred grand and wigan (and hull) fans a couple or three grand each to follow their clubs to Sydney....and South's toss up reserves and kids...

Disgraceful..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The nsw tourist board have stumped up several hundred grand and wigan (and hull) fans a couple or three grand each to follow their clubs to Sydney....and South's toss up reserves and kids...

Disgraceful..

Wigan have named a very large bench for the game as well. 

Its definitely looking like nothing more than a usual pre-season trial

13 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Disgraceful..

Well what can you do?

Reynolds, Inglis, and Crichton are really all recovering from injury, nothing you can do about that. Walker I hadn't heard about but he is injury prone so I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Sutton is an integral part of the club that is now an old and increasingly injury prone man, so I can understand wanting to keep him wrapped in wool.

Burgess and Gagai are the only suspect ones in my opinion, though I don't necessarily condone it I can totally understand why they'd be holding them back too, as realistically this is a nothing exhibition game and they don't want to risk one of their star players and their brand new star signing who are both very injury prone on it.  

It also has to be taken into account that to the Rabbits this is a trail game, and trial games are used to trial the team before the season, sometimes that includes trialing "reserves and kids" that you may need for the season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well whether you like it or not that is what it is...

3 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

If it was a competitive fixture I’d make more of an effort to watch it. 

Now the squads have announced I’m not that interested. Probably would be different if my own team was involved

13 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Not for us. For us it is a within season friendly. Whether you like it or not.

Like any friendly, we won't learn anything massively significant. That said, Wigan have named their 1 to 13 as their run out side. My money is on Wane not realizing he was meant to name his starting line up and he has just sent them the full squad.

As with the World Cup, these games have some fascination in allowing us to compare the 2 competitions' styles of play and relative size and speed. I am looking forward to it very much.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Not for us. For us it is a within season friendly. Whether you like it or not.

That's true, but from Souths perspective it's a glorified trial match...

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Like any friendly, we won't learn anything massively significant. That said, Wigan have named their 1 to 13 as their run out side. My money is on Wane not realizing he was meant to name his starting line up and he has just sent them the full squad.

As with the World Cup, these games have some fascination in allowing us to compare the 2 competitions' styles of play and relative size and speed. I am looking forward to it very much.

What's to compare that we don't already know?

The NRL has a better standard of footy, is more professional, and more successful as a business.

The SL's standard of footy and professionalism is lower then the NRL's, and because of those facts the players aren't as fit on average and the competitions defensive play is comparatively abysmal, but that comparative lack of fitness and defensive capabilities results in more serious mistakes in a game and opens up more room for attacking play then in the NRL which makes it very entertaining to watch in it's own way, just as the NRL's comparative hyper professionalism and higher standard of play leads to a much more competitive competition that leads to more really hard fought games that go right down to the wire then you'll see in SL, which in of it's self is very entertaining to watch in it's own way when compared to the SL.

Unless you are talking in pure footy terms neither one of the comps is really better then the other, they are both good and bad in their own ways and both are extremely entertaining and sometimes boring (when things go wrong) in their own ways, and at the end of the day the positives and negatives of each really equals everything out.

These sorts of games are a novelty, they could be more with some work but neither the NRL or RFL seems to be willing to put in the work necessary to build them into something more, so they'll stay novelties that the English fan base are more interested in cause they are desperate for bragging rights over the Aussies, and feel a national/league pride when watching these game and will support the SL team over an NRL team on average, the Australian fan base is the opposite, they don't care about bragging rights over a club from a comp that in pure football terms is an inferior one, and they don't feel and national/league pride and don't tend to back the NRL team in the game unless they are their team, if anything they generally tend to back the SL team cause they hate the NRL team and are completely neutral about the SL team and they'd rather see the NRL team that they hate lose to the foreign team that they are completely neutral about then see the team they hate win.

The cultural differences between the NRL and SL are much more fascinating then the actual games themselves if you ask me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Both teams agreed to have extended benches as it is only a friendly. It benefits Wigan as they can give all the players who have traveled some game time and hopefully not risk any injuries to first team players.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

These two games are trials the problem is it allows some people to dump the WCC game into the same bracket. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobbruce said:

These two games are trials the problem is it allows some people to dump the WCC game into the same bracket. 

And the Australian fans to just generally dump on SL.

I am so so sick of reading about how good the NRL is. It is tireseome.

Maybe we should just ignore them, not attempt to play matches against them, and not try to get them to embrace the international aspects of the game. In short, if they want to exist in a tiny vacuum down under, then let's just allow them to get on with it. They can then all happily congratulate themselves about how good they are, and maybe we won't have to listen.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

That's true, but from Souths perspective it's a glorified trial match...

What's to compare that we don't already know?

The NRL has a better standard of footy, is more professional, and more successful as a business.

The SL's standard of footy and professionalism is lower then the NRL's, and because of those facts the players aren't as fit on average and the competitions defensive play is comparatively abysmal, but that comparative lack of fitness and defensive capabilities results in more serious mistakes in a game and opens up more room for attacking play then in the NRL which makes it very entertaining to watch in it's own way, just as the NRL's comparative hyper professionalism and higher standard of play leads to a much more competitive competition that leads to more really hard fought games that go right down to the wire then you'll see in SL, which in of it's self is very entertaining to watch in it's own way when compared to the SL.

Unless you are talking in pure footy terms neither one of the comps is really better then the other, they are both good and bad in their own ways and both are extremely entertaining and sometimes boring (when things go wrong) in their own ways, and at the end of the day the positives and negatives of each really equals everything out.

These sorts of games are a novelty, they could be more with some work but neither the NRL or RFL seems to be willing to put in the work necessary to build them into something more, so they'll stay novelties that the English fan base are more interested in cause they are desperate for bragging rights over the Aussies, and feel a national/league pride when watching these game and will support the SL team over an NRL team on average, the Australian fan base is the opposite, they don't care about bragging rights over a club from a comp that in pure football terms is an inferior one, and they don't feel and national/league pride and don't tend to back the NRL team in the game unless they are their team, if anything they generally tend to back the SL team cause they hate the NRL team and are completely neutral about the SL team and they'd rather see the NRL team that they hate lose to the foreign team that they are completely neutral about then see the team they hate win.

The cultural differences between the NRL and SL are much more fascinating then the actual games themselves if you ask me. 

At least you're consistent, I'll give you that. For anyone who hasn't seen Great Dane here has lots more interesting 'facts' and points of view about these games and WCC in the Leeds v Storm thread. He/she seems very keen to ram home how little interest there will be in these games in Oz and the inferiority of SL to NRL (which I'm yet to find anyone who's suggested SL is better to trigger these comments)? 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

On 13/02/2018 at 7:09 PM, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Souths have GI,Adam Reynolds, Cody Walker, Sam Burgess, Dane Gagai, Cam Murray and Anus Crichton all sitting on the side lines nursing injuries so it'll be a Wigan win by plenty. 

Two great old clubs with 42 premierships between going head to head, I wouldn't miss it for the world.

On 13/02/2018 at 8:18 PM, Levrier said:

Looks like Wigan will be resting a few. Wane has said that everyone who has travelled fit will be getting game time. No reason to risk anyone just to help South's with their preseason. No one at the club is pretending that this is anything more.

What a complete total let down, a waste of time and effort by both clubs involved, it should be billed and addressed as a battle and confrontation between the NRL and SL, Wigan should be doing their utmost to win, or are they just on holiday disrupting the league at home, and South's should be striving to put the 'upstarts' from England in their place and show who is actually the boss, the game should be treated with respect, Wigan should play their strongest line-up, as should Souths, who actually believes all those 7 are actually injured, I for one don't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What a complete total let down, a waste of time and effort by both clubs involved, it should be billed and addressed as a battle and confrontation between the NRL and SL, Wigan should be doing their utmost to win, or are they just on holiday disrupting the league at home, and South's should be striving to put the 'upstarts' from England in their place and show who is actually the boss, the game should be treated with respect, Wigan should play their strongest line-up, as should Souths, who actually believes all those 7 are actually injured, I for one don't.

These games are a waste of time.

If the Clubs cannot  or will not put their best players on the field then why bother.

From Rabbits post  Sam , Gagai & Sutton are being rested. 

Injured is one thing rested before playing the first game of the season is something else.....

Edited by Allora
  • Like 2