Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

16 Feb: World Club Challenge: Melbourne Storm v Leeds Rhinos KO 9am (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Melbourne Storm by 19 points or more
    • Melbourne Storm by 13 to 18 points
    • Melbourne Storm by 7 to 12 points
    • Melbourne Storm by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 to 18 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 19 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/16/2018 at 09:00 AM

Just now, Lowdesert said:

I hope your right.

I don't think I will be, but it would be good wouldn't it?

It would, of course, be followed by cries of "It's pre-season, we were undercooked, blah. blah, blah""

Completely forgetting the point that Leeds themselves are only two games into a new season, and have travelled half-way across the world.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Well for the Storm it's one of their trial games so they want it to be played under the rules of the competition that they are trialling for...

And how do you know that it was going to be played under international rules and that it's been changed at the last minute?

Brian McDermott said so. I’m not going to tell him he’s wrong

http://www.totalrl.com/mcdermott-unhappy-late-decision-two-referees-officiate-melbourne-clash/

31 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I don't think I will be, but it would be good wouldn't it?

It would, of course, be followed by cries of "It's pre-season, we were undercooked, blah. blah, blah""

Completely forgetting the point that Leeds themselves are only two games into a new season, and have travelled half-way across the world.

I have a little interest in the score.

Looking forward to watching it, but it could be a Ref fest with 2 of them.  I hope not.  One Ref was ok for Wigan v Hull.  

Aussies change it to two refs 48 hours before kick off. They don’t need to in all honesty but it’s belt and braces for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

This game all depends on Melbourne.

If Melbourne take it seriously they'll win by however many they want, if they treat it like a trial then we'll have a game on our hands.

The age old excuse - if the NRL team don't treat it seriously then it'll be close if they do then it'll be a hiding...

To be clear I think Melbourne will win, but not because they aren't taking it 'seriously' - there's no such thing as a 'friendly' in rugby, especially if one team (Leeds) doesn't see it that way. The only variable could be the team being under strength, but Storm have announced their squad and it's pretty much full strength.

Whatever the score is be under no illusion that this wasn't treated seriously by Melbourne - they've made their intentions clear.  

• Like 2

Biggest problem for Leeds is lack of Props... Melbourne will dominant possession and territory even more than they would otherwise as lack of "big" forward interchange will cause Leeds problems

Melbourne to win 24-8 helped by a 12-0 penalty count and cries that Cam Smith shouldn't referee another game !

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

on their day- storm are prob 3 times better than the kangaroo side, depends if they field a full team and how serious they take it- a full strength fully focused team could run in 60 or more, I would imagine cb wont be taking this game lightly

"On their day" included one Cooper Cronk best No 7 of his generation in my opinion, he was always it seems a massive part of any game plan they executed.

But totally agree that Mr. Bellamy will expect nothing less than 100%, love it when watching the Storm games on tv, if they conceed a try or someone makes a mistake and the cameras pan up to the coaches box, how animated he gets, throwing things, thumping the wall, and woe betide any one within earshot or striking distance.

Storm by 20+

3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

This is not a NRL game. Can't believe Melbourne have pulled this dirty trick.

It seems unnecessary, especially as all the NRL refs at the World Cup were comfortable with international rules.

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The age old excuse - if the NRL team don't treat it seriously then it'll be close if they do then it'll be a hiding...

To be clear I think Melbourne will win, but not because they aren't taking it 'seriously' - there's no such thing as a 'friendly' in rugby, especially if one team (Leeds) doesn't see it that way. The only variable could be the team being under strength, but Storm have announced their squad and it's pretty much full strength.

Whatever the score is be under no illusion that this wasn't treated seriously by Melbourne - they've made their intentions clear.  

No excuse about it, it's simply the truth.

Realistically there's nothing in it for the Storm, it's a trial game to them, risking it all on a trial game would be profoundly stupid, you can try to twist it any way you like but that is the long and short of it from an NRL clubs perspective. 

11 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

This is not a NRL game. Can't believe Melbourne have pulled this dirty trick.

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It seems unnecessary, especially as all the NRL refs at the World Cup were comfortable with international rules.

Yeah I don't get the big deal, it's not as if the rules are different from international rules (apart from minor differences), they are just being enforced by two refs instead of one.

Edited by The Great Dane

23 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Storm by 12. 

Leeds to be competitive first half hour, maybe get on the board but last ten of first half and last half hour Storm will show their class IMO. Hope it isn't an absolute drubbing  a ) because I hope SL really isn't 'that' for behind NRL and b ) because it'll probably see the end of the concept if another SL teams gets hammered or at the very least have the Aussie press treat it with even less regard than they do already. 

So pretty much a Melbourne repeat of England v Aus in World Cup opener? I see a similar slight difference in class, if not a bigger gulf

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Well for the Storm it's one of their trial games so they want it to be played under the rules of the competition that they are trialling for...

And how do you know that it was going to be played under international rules and that it's been changed at the last minute?

Well isn’t that an arrogant encapsulation of Melbourne’s approach to this game. This is a World Club Challenge Game and this should be under Interntional rules. Yet melbourne dictate when and where it is played and under what rules 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Well isn’t that an arrogant encapsulation of Melbourne’s approach to this game. This is a World Club Challenge Game and this should be under Interntional rules. Yet melbourne dictate when and where it is played and under what rules 

Nothing arrogant about it, it's the NRL and RFL's fault that the WCC is treated the way that it is by the fans and clubs down here, not the NRL clubs.

The NRL clubs didn't decide to make it a pre-season game for the themselves that replaces one of their trial games, that was poor management by the RFL and NRL that did that, as with everything when it comes to the WCC it has been poor management, laziness, and terrible foresight by the RFL and NRL's that has lead to the problems.

I also find it funny that you are complaining about the Melbourne dictating when and where the game is played and under what rules when SL clubs have been doing that for the last 20 years, and when the Storm made it clear that if they got their way the game wouldn't be happening at all this year, so obviously they aren't very good at dictating things since they haven't had anything go their way...

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

Nothing arrogant about it, it's the NRL and RFL's fault that the WCC is treated the way that it is by the fans and clubs down here, not the NRL clubs.

The NRL clubs didn't decide to make it a pre-season game for the themselves that replaces one of their trial games, that was poor management by the RFL and NRL that did that, as with everything when it comes to the WCC it has been poor management, laziness, and terrible foresight by the RFL and NRL's that has lead to the problems.

I also find it funny that you are complaining about the Melbourne dictating when and where the game is played and under what rules when SL clubs have been doing that for the last 20 years, and when the Storm made it clear that if they got their way the game wouldn't be happening at all this year, so obviously they aren't very good at dictating things since they haven't had anything go their way...

Fair pints and maybe my frustrations would be more fairly directed at Melbourne than yourself. It is a fault of the organization of it and a lack of neutral organization organising it. However suggesting that SL clubs have had it all their own way in hosting is a little unfair given they have been underwriting all the travel costs, certainly the last few years. I’m not sure Melbourne are underwriting Leeds, but I may be wrong

i'm thinking that its the NRL and the refs association pushing for the two refs as people saw a fast flowing game between Wigan and Hull and the refs are just trying to save their jobs. There have been calls for only one ref in NRL after the WC and showing people more matches with the benefits of just one ref won't do them any favors.

bbc website now doing a feature = pic of captains shaking hands- Watkins looks like a frightened kid -that's  shaking the hand of the school bully that's gonna duff him up when the bells gone

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Leave him alone. Australia are brilliant everyone else are so terrible they don't even care about them. Their little interstate game is all that matters and only a big meanie would bother to play the game.

Just tell them they are the best even if they lose. They are very sensitive about it 

• Like 4

I'm expecting a Melbourne win. They were deadly last season (although they have since lost Cronk), while Leeds have lost a couple of experienced and inspirational players. They've had a decent start to the season despite that, but still this is a big task.

Mainly, I'm hoping for a good game.

• Like 1