Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

16 Feb: SL: Widnes Vikings v Warrington Wolves KO 7.35pm (TV)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Widnes Vikings
    • Warrington Wolves

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/16/2018 at 07:35 PM

This has the makings of a very competitive derby. The biggest issue from a Widnes perspective is the 5 day turnaround compared to 7 for Wire. I have a feeling it might end up telling. 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I fancy Widnes to pile on the misery for Warrington in what hopefully will be a cracking derby.

Widnes by 6

so do i...which of course means that we wont...i expect wire will click into action and get their season started with a spark but I imagine we'll dig in and make it awkward....looking forward to getting the beers /snacks in for some Cheshire derby Friday entertainment

Edited by chuffer

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

It's only a few days ago that Widnes were being touted as potential champs, so I'm going for them, by a landslide.

Are you sure they weren't chimps? I've lost track now.

Chemics by 4

42 minutes ago, MZH said:

Are you sure they weren't chimps? I've lost track now.

Chemics by 4

saints - champs

wire - chimps

(according to thread titles on here in the last couple of weeks)

Still no Roberts for Warrington.   The only positive is that Kevin Brown should be used to that pitch.   The weather is forecast to be dry too so hopefully we’ll see some running rugby.

Widnes by 12. 

Was impressed by Widnes defence at the weekend.  Organised and worked extremely hard for each other.  Goaline defence especially  (which is a good job if they plan to continue with short drop out mania!).

Could see it been a tight game, going either way.  I'll guess Wire by 7.

8 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Was impressed by Widnes defence at the weekend.  Organised and worked extremely hard for each other.  Goaline defence especially  (which is a good job if they plan to continue with short drop out mania!).

Was the same last year - they did get a lot of practice at it, after all. Great team spirit built by Denis Betts, just a lack of star quality and depth in the squad. Having said that,  I see from this week's paper that 18 year old Danny Walker stepped up from the academy and made 51 tackles against Cas.

If you look at the two line-ups, if Warrington play to their potential, they should win.

Danny Walker has got great potential...   he’s a Warrington lad and it would be a shame if he made the difference between the two teams on Friday, as Warrington could really do with a back up hooker with a bit of grit at the moment.   Hopefully the changes behind the scenes means we won’t miss out on the right youth in future.

Have to say, was impressed with Widnes pre-season - as long as Mellor and Gilmore stay fit then I can see them being this year’s Wakefield after they carried their form through to the first couple of games.

1 minute ago, Desert Skipper said:

Danny Walker has got great potential...   

Bizarrely, he only got a chance against Cas due to Heremia and White being ill.

On current form Walker would be my first choice Hooker, not 3rd.

50 minutes ago, Bomb Jack said:

Bizarrely, he only got a chance against Cas due to Heremia and White being ill.

On current form Walker would be my first choice Hooker, not 3rd.

agreed

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Was the same last year - they did get a lot of practice at it, after all. Great team spirit built by Denis Betts, just a lack of star quality and depth in the squad. Having said that,  I see from this week's paper that 18 year old Danny Walker stepped up from the academy and made 51 tackles against Cas.

If you look at the two line-ups, if Warrington play to their potential, they should win.

Seems like Widnes blooded a fair few young players last year out of neccesity which should help this year. 

Young Walker, especially, did a good job on Sunday.  Helped keep things fairly tight up the middle.  Both hookers did a fair old stint (Mcshane made 65 tackles too) - it was certainly that kind of game (attrition rather than flair)!

16 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Still no Roberts for Warrington.   The only positive is that Kevin Brown should be used to that pitch.   The weather is forecast to be dry too so hopefully we’ll see some running rugby.

Widnes by 12. 

Is the gossip true he’s homesick and wants away?

19 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Is the gossip true he’s homesick and wants away?

No I think that’s rubbish.   Comes from the same ‘journalist’ in another RL paper who spouts bizarre ‘rumours’ every week, none of which have any substance.   Roberts was allowed home over Xmas to see his young family (brand new baby) and bring them over to the UK.   That’s probably where the rumour came from:

==============================

Q: It must have been a wrench to leave behind your partner Brittany and daughters Leilani, 3, and Chilli who was 13 weeks old at the time?

A: I’d never been away from the family that long, four weeks without them was pretty hard.   Brittany was back in Newcastle with her family. It’s a big ask for her to move away, something I’ve done before when I was young.   When I first got here I struggled a little bit without the family, just being on the other side of the world training in the cold.   It was hard but it was a challenge I was willing to take when I made the decision to sign.   Now the family’s here, we’re all happy and it’s much easier for me the second time to transition. I knew what to expect.

Q: Does it put you in a better state of mind knowing your family’s here to go home to after training?

A: Definitely, knowing I can go home and see my family is a big key. It keeps me happy and keeps me humble.

===============================
If there’s anybody trying to get out of a contract to get home to the NRL, it would be Murdoch-Masila IMO.
Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2018 at 6:44 AM, chuffer said:

Kevin brown? I'm sure he is but doubt we'd take him back now

Hes not sitting in the railway station, by any chance?

Edited by JohnM

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Hes not sitting in the railway station, by any chance?

ha! I would like him to be sat there at 7:30-9pm tonight....but instead I rather fear he will run riot against his former team just to annoy the fans who will no doubt greet him with boos