Sign in to follow this  
Davecord

Sundays game

Hello there Bob,

Yes Flashscore and Skysports scores are both saying the same but it seems a lot of the people present at the match say Galbraith, I have asked John Miller and the club as it down as Galbraith so I'm going to go with that.

Score line  flattered Swiinton  today, with some of usual antics from Barlow.

Batley kept going to sleep in defence and also spilt twice at the line. A good form team (Barrow?) might have a field day.

8 minutes ago, RogerT said:

Hello there Bob,

Yes Flashscore and Skysports scores are both saying the same but it seems a lot of the people present at the match say Galbraith, I have asked John Miller and the club as it down as Galbraith so I'm going to go with that.

BBC also says Rowe but I suspect they all got the info from the same source. It was Galbraith.

34 minutes ago, RogerT said:

Hello there Bob,

Radio leeds said Galbraith had levelled scores at 4-4.

Don’t think there is any team that is “relegation fodder” in the Championship especially at this stage of this season. If we view any team in that way we will lose.

i personally think there were certainly a couple of tries we should not have conceded but Swinton are a very capable team in attack and had some decent players on the field. Last season we did not find it easy to beat them and in 2016 when we achieved the middle 8’s we lost at home to them and in that great last match they scored 24 points albeit we scored 62!

So we need to show respect for every team as Matt and the players know and I am sure will do. Yes they will work on defence but just a thought- in how many games last season did a team score 48 points and lose? So we can be positive I am sure. Looking forward to our first home game against Barrow. Maybe Toronto and Leigh thought they were relegation fodder and look where it got them.

# Year of the Dog. Happy Chinese New Year to all our supporters.

• Like 2

Well Dogfather: So we're short of pace on a big pitch!! We're reasonably short on a little pitch, of the current team (not squad) there's only Rettie who can put a spurt on.  Swinton had good quick halves...what a surprise!! I know I'm back on my hobby horse but....I have repeatedly mentioned the lack of pace, and how we can be undone by young, quick halves. We're always being told that there aren't any good half-backs around for us to sign, so how do other teams get 'em? We love to see our lads chucking it about and scoring great tries, but why should it cost us so many, it's not a trade off, an attitude of 'well we can score more than them so no bother'. When we were complaining of never seeing much flowing Rugby under Kear, we knew the famed Bulldog defence would see us right, why does it have to disappear just because we've now found out that we can throw the ball around? I know, I know, all the people some of the time............but we can't give away 5 tries every game in the hope that we'll always score 6. Expecting too much? Probably.....  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phildog said:

Well Dogfather: So we're short of pace on a big pitch!! We're reasonably short on a little pitch, of the current team (not squad) there's only Rettie who can put a spurt on.  Swinton had good quick halves...what a surprise!! I know I'm back on my hobby horse but....I have repeatedly mentioned the lack of pace, and how we can be undone by young, quick halves. We're always being told that there aren't any good half-backs around for us to sign, so how do other teams get 'em? We love to see our lads chucking it about and scoring great tries, but why should it cost us so many, it's not a trade off, an attitude of 'well we can score more than them so no bother'. When we were complaining of never seeing much flowing Rugby under Kear, we knew the famed Bulldog defence would see us right, why does it have to disappear just because we've now found out that we can throw the ball around? I know, I know, all the people some of the time............but we can't give away 5 tries every game in the hope that we'll always score 6. Expecting too much? Probably.....  

Go DR with Wigan?

For all their speed and guile, we still trounced them at their place! 

Actually. Galbraith had a fair turn of pace too. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, phildog said:

I really do not get some our supporters. By the very definition of the word, we are supposed to support the team. Yet, many are seemingly on the constant look out for reasons to complain and moan.  

We scored 48 points away from home in an early season game against a decent side. Reading some of the comments, you'd think we had lost the game, not won it!

Are we the finished article? No, but neither should we expect to be, given it was only the second game of the season.

Phil, by the very nature of playing an expansive game, we will make more mistakes, the more passes you make, the more chances there is of someone dropping it. Therefore, we will turn the ball over more frequently, have less possession and concede more points, it isn't rocket science, but you can't have both, therefore, it is very much a trade off in most cases. I fail to see how any Batley fans at yesterday's game were not happy. Hopefully we will sort the defence as the season progresses. 

Featherstone have spent many times what we have on there squad and still got thumped at the weekend, against a team some pundits had written off before the season started. 

As dd states, the only way to get genuine pace, is to shell out massively to bring someone in (not an option on our budget). Or you can DR or loan someone, however neither of these options guarantees that the player will be available all season, as we found out with Cas last season. Swintons HB was from Leigh on loan, they are also DR with Wigan, so a few of those that played yesterday won't be Swinton players. 

We are a bit short of pace, which will be exposed on big fields and against the top sides. That said, Galbraith looks pretty rapid and knows how to beat a man. So we are not totally devoid of pace, and we have Campbell to come in, once he gets himself sorted too. I reckon we have a pretty good squad this year all things considered.

If it was a straight choice between having our squad, or a weaker pack with a bit more pace in the backs, would I swap? Not on your Nelly, a good pack will win more games than an outstanding back line. 

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I really do not get some our supporters. By the very definition of the word, we are supposed to support the team. Yet, many are seemingly on the constant look out for reasons to complain and moan.  

We scored 48 points away from home in an early season game against a decent side. Reading some of the comments, you'd think we had lost the game, not won it!

Are we the finished article? No, but neither should we expect to be, given it was only the second game of the season.

Phil, by the very nature of playing an expansive game, we will make more mistakes, the more passes you make, the more chances there is of someone dropping it. Therefore, we will turn the ball over more frequently, have less possession and concede more points, it isn't rocket science, but you can't have both, therefore, it is very much a trade off in most cases. I fail to see how any Batley fans at yesterday's game were not happy. Hopefully we will sort the defence as the season progresses. 

Featherstone have spent many times what we have on there squad and still got thumped at the weekend against a team some pundits had written off before the season started.. 

As dd states, the only way to get genuine pace, is shell out massively to bring someone in (not an option on our budget). Or you DR or loan someone, neither way is guaranteed that the player will be available all season, as we found out with Cas last season. Swintons HB was from Leigh on loan, they are also DR with Wigan, so a few of those that played yesterday won't be Swinton players. 

We are a bit short of pace which will be exposed on big fields and against the top sides. That said, Galbraith looks pretty rapid and knows how to beat a man. So we are not devoid of pace and we have Campbell to come in, once he gets himself sorted too. I reckon we have a pretty good squad this year all things considered.

If it was a straight choice between having our squad, or a weaker pack with a bit more pace in the backs, would I swap? Not on your Nelly, a good pack will win more games than an outstanding back line. 

the ones doing the moaning weren't even at the game so how they can critisise without been there does make me wonder at times ,could understand if game had been streamed or televised and they had watched it that way.

• Like 2