Sign in to follow this  
westlondonfan

Going to Toulouse

I am thinking about going to Toulouse this year for the Broncos away match. Any suggestions in regard to travel and accommodation etc? I would prefer to go by rail but that looks more expensive than flying . Where would you book if you were going to book in advance ?

i would appreciate any help on this one.

Edited by westlondonfan

2 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I am thinking about going to Toulouse this year for the Broncos away match. Any suggestions in regard to travel and accommodation etc? I would prefer to go by rail but that looks more expensive than flying . Where would you book if you were going to book in advance ?

Teams usually stay at the Novotel in the city centre. I have stopped there and also at the Holiday Inn at the airport. Both can be had quite cheaply. Flights can be picked up pretty cheaply. Travel by underground is easy and convenient for the stadium 

Word of warning.

Toulouse is a big city with the usual problems.  Last week in two separate incidents two British RL fans were attacked and hospitalised. Apply the common sense rules you would apply in any big city.

• Like 1

We are going to see Toronto vs. Toulouse as part of our trip to the UK and have chosen to stay in Perpignan after flying to Girona airport from Manchester. We are staying at the Brit Hotel outside the CIty so that could be an option if you choose.

A question for any English fans. Whats the parking like around the Stadium that Toulouse are playing at this year?

I have had no problem street parking near the Toulouse ground. Must say if you are staying in Perpignan you will be getting home late as it could be 2.5 hours back from Toulouse.  

In regards to Toulouse hotels the Ibis near the centre is good value. The Accor hotel group have several in Toulouse to suit various budgets. Don’t think you can go too far wrong with choosing from the Accor group.

Edited by RS
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

trainline.eu is a good website/app for investigating rail travel and online advance booking of tickets. Its the european arm of the UK Trainline operation. I often use it. Rail travel London to Toulouse will be expensive - around £250+ return.

Skyscanners is a good website/app for checking flights. There are flights direct to Toulouse - but also to Carcassonne and Beziers  - both lovely towns and on the train line with a short journey to Toulouse. Return flights could be anything betwen £100 to £200.

Bookings.com is good for booking hotels - with the option to cancel at no cost. There is lots of choice and quite affordable. Personnaly I avoid the area between the train station and Bd de Strasbourg which has a bit of a reputation - and stay closer to the centre. There are OK hotels around Place Wilson, but also spread around the centre. Alternatively there are a number of hotels near the airport which are handy for the stadium at Blagnac. Both the airport and Blagnac are a little out of the centre on the west side of the river, but easy to get to by public transport. Blagnac itself has a quiet, small local centre with a couple of decent bars and restaurants.

Hope that helps a little. Watching RL in France is one of life's pleasures! I saw the reports about the attacks on the Swinton fans - which was sad and disappointing - but generally Toulouse feels safe. I've been a number of times following Dewsbury and England and had a great time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

Word of warning.

Toulouse is a big city with the usual problems.  Last week in two separate incidents two British RL fans were attacked and hospitalised. Apply the common sense rules you would apply in any big city.

Wise words, Melting Pot is a good meeting point (sports pub) but off the main streets can get a bit interesting/scary. Big African muslim population - we had a great time, keep your wits about you and you will enjoy

I'm staying at the Colombelie Aparthotel, a short walk from The Melting Pot.  Its cost me a fair bit (£100 a night), but me and my two boys have each got our own rooms within the apartment.  Price isn't everything!  There's even a pool.

Flying from Manchester isn't cheap at £100 a seat, but I can't be arrised to schlep down to Stanstead where it's currently about £60 a head.  I also refuse to fly Ryanair. I'm in the travel industry and we pretty much despise them. Also, If I'm hurtling through the sky at 500mph in a metal tube, I want my ticket to be reassuringly expensive!!!

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 1

IMO Loco2 and Seat61 are the best websites for European trains

If you are already in London, then a return to/from Toulouse Thurs to Sat is £178

Its a far better journey by train, but as Sweaty has pointed out flights are much cheaper, and there is also having to cross Paris when changing trains, and you need to allow at least an hour plus. Seat 61 has a step-by-step guide to changing stations in Paris. I've used it and it was spot on. Its about 8 hours each way including changing trains

• Like 2

Trains are a much more civilised way to travel, but a bit too time consuming for me on this occasion.  I'm back at work 4 hours after we land.

Although I'd normally be happy to pay the extra.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, David Shepherd said:

I'm staying at the Colombelie Aparthotel, a short walk from The Melting Pot.  Its cost me a fair bit (£100 a night), but me and my two boys have each got our own rooms within the apartment.  Price isn't everything!  There's even a pool.

Flying from Manchester isn't cheap at £100 a seat, but I can't be arrised to schlep down to Stanstead where it's currently about £60 a head.  I also refuse to fly Ryanair. I'm in the travel industry and we pretty much despise them. Also, If I'm hurtling through the sky at 500mph in a metal tube, I want my ticket to be reassuringly expensive!!!

Leigh game ex Manchester fri-sun is nearly £500 a seat, Stansted and Bristol are being used for cost

12 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh game ex Manchester fri-sun is nearly £500 a seat, Stansted and Bristol are being used for cost

Must admit I was already on Flybe's website at 8am on the morning the fixtures were released.  It got up to £300 within an hour.

Can't go wrong with the Ibis Central. Direct bus from the airport to Jean d'Arc bus station which is a hundred yards away from the hotel which is also the bus station where you catch the bus to Blagnac for the stadium and is just a couple of minutes walk from the Melting Pot aka centre of the universe.