Sign in to follow this  
Adelaide Tiger

State of Origin comes to Adelaide

Wooooooohooooooo!

Just been reported on local radio that a State of Origin game is to be held at Adelade Oval on a Sunday evening in 2020.

The radio station was inundated by AFL fans complaining that the State Government had paid taxpayers money toward securing the bid that could be spent on hospitals, roads etc.. conveniently the AFL followers forgot about the five hundred million spent on Adelaide Oval so they could watch aerial ping pong there!!!!!

Oh, I am going to love winding up the AFL fans over here.

• Like 4

Excellent! I'm sure the usual suspects who have been relentlessly briefing against RL matches in the USA will also get onto this in their familiar (and rather obvious) way. That's how we know it is a good idea. :cool: 

What flavour are these cones?

Do they have a flake in them and raspberry sauce?

21 minutes ago, Padge said:

No in Adelaide we only have one type of cone ... lots of the plasticky red and white variety.

Anyway please excuse my spelling mistake due to my unbridled excitement.

7 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

No in Adelaide we only have one type of cone ... lots of the plasticky red and white variety.

Anyway please excuse my spelling mistake due to my unbridled excitement.

Forgiven

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Wooooooohooooooo!

Just been reported on local radio that a State of Origin game is to be held at Adelade Oval on a Sunday evening in 2020.

The radio station was inundated by AFL fans complaining that the State Government had paid taxpayers money toward securing the bid that could be spent on hospitals, roads etc.. conveniently the AFL followers forgot about the five hundred million spent on Adelaide Oval so they could watch aerial ping pong there!!!!!

This will have the fumbleball fans in a tailspin. :D

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/state-of-origin-match-to-be-played-at-adelaide-oval-in-2020/news-story/08bcba90a7337c62c40666b539a62f0b

2 hours ago, Padge said:

In Adelaide they eat frog cakes. Strange looking things too.

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Wooooooohooooooo!

Is this just about money AT or is there a long term plan for Adelaide getting a franchise in the NRL?

3 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Is this just about money AT or is there a long term plan for Adelaide getting a franchise in the NRL?

Money would be my guess. But it's a good promotion of the game at the same time. 

33 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Money would be my guess. But it's a good promotion of the game at the same time. 

Apparently tv ratings for both origin and the gf have increased in Melbourne since they started bringing it to Melbourne. They want to repeat that pattern in both Adelaide and Perth.

• Like 1

Can I just say that RL has been tried there before and failed, it's a waste of time trying to get these southerners interested, it will cost me thousands to get there, we should play these games in the heartlands. Anything else?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Wooooooohooooooo!

Or you could just enjoy the occasion without vilifying people. These are the people you'd want to win over and I don't see how your approach would help in any way

I thought they were taking a game to Perth,is this instead of or in addition to ??

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I thought they were taking a game to Perth,is this instead of or in addition to ??

In addition to. Perth is in 2019

• Like 1

It’s looking like one of the three SOO games will always be played outside of Brisbane and Sydney from now on.

That’s a great idea. It’s one of the biggest sporting events in Australia and rivals both the AFL and NRL grand finals in terms of viewing figures etc. I’d say it probably gets more media coverage than those games too as it’s dragged out over 3 matches.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

We should do similar and take Yorkshire v Lancashire to Scotland.

Can you just take Yorkshire to Scotland....and leave it there? 😀😀😀

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Copa said:

Apparently tv ratings for both origin and the gf have increased in Melbourne since they started bringing it to Melbourne. They want to repeat that pattern in both Adelaide and Perth.

Yeah it's got great promotional value. I'm a big supporter of taking origin around Australia for that reason (though three years in a row maybe pushing it). I hope this is linked to a serious expansion strategy, but I suspect it's more a bit of a 'the money is great! ...and oh yeah, a good bit of promo too' situation. The NRL isn't thinking about an Adelaide team anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s looking like one of the three SOO games will always be played outside of Brisbane and Sydney from now on.

That’s a great idea. It’s one of the biggest sporting events in Australia and rivals both the AFL and NRL grand finals in terms of viewing figures etc. I’d say it probably gets more media coverage than those games too as it’s dragged out over 3 matches.

It's a great idea. No team should get an unearned 2-1 advantage in a series IMO so a neutral game every year makes sense to me.

5/6 year cycle would work for me:

Melbourne, Perth Adelaide, Melbourne, Auckland. Then if successful a 6th game could go anywhere, Perth would be a safe option but seeing what interest there is in North America (West Coast or Hawaii) or Asia would definetly be worth a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Can you just take Yorkshire to Scotland....and leave it there? 😀😀😀

You laughed at your own joke. Nearly.

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

It's a great idea. No team should get an unearned 2-1 advantage in a series IMO so a neutral game every year makes sense to me.

Melbourne, Perth Adelaide, Melbourne, Auckland. Then if successful a 6th game could go anywhere, Perth would be a safe option but seeing what interest there is in North America (West Coast or Hawaii) or Asia would definetly be worth a look.

Jesus Jim, Clint Newton will blow a gasket at the suggestion his precious boys have to do so much travelling for their $50,000. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

###### a cycle, have some minimum standards on stadium size, etc, have a rule that the third game can't be played in the same city two years in a row then sell each game to the highest bidder.

Edited by The Great Dane

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Jesus Jim, Clint Newton will blow a gasket at the suggestion his precious boys have to do so much travelling for their $50,000. 

And it is an oval not a rectangular stadium so the guys may get dizzy.

11 hours ago, Padge said:

surely its the one of silence that will soon descend..