Sign in to follow this  
Adelaide Tiger

State of Origin comes to Adelaide

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

It is different...

There's money in SOO for the NRL clubs and RLPA, there isn't any money for them in games held by two forgin RL's... 

Exactly. Welfare only matters if there isn't money in it.

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

What's unlikely or strange about that?

On and off over RL's whole existence in Australia there has been interest in the NRL from both America and Asia, don't see why that would stop now...

Lately though how many games being talked about in Hawaii, USA or Asia have never come to anything? All of them. Would be dependant on one of these cities/consortiums putting up enough money and the NRL having the balls to take it.

• Like 1

Isn't it so terribly easy to predict which posters suddenly meerkat out of the woodwork every time an expansion idea is floated?

They've been desperately trying to talk down the Denver test, the possible New York match between Salford and Les Cats and the current Wigan/Hull trip down under.

And, if they don't get banned for losing their rag (or just general bell-endery), you'll see them pop up on every similar subject.

Their consistently predictable heckling (revealing a very poorly-concealed agenda) does suggest that these are good projects for the game's wider future.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Isn't it so terribly easy to predict which posters suddenly meerkat out of the woodwork every time an expansion idea is floated?

They've been desperately trying to talk down the Denver test, the possible New York match between Salford and Les Cats and the current Wigan/Hull trip down under.

And, if they don't get banned for losing their rag (or just general bell-endery), you'll see them pop up on every similar subject.

Their consistently predictable heckling (revealing a very poorly-concealed agenda) does suggest that these are good projects for the game's wider future.

You’re missing the point Futtocks. jim-57 hit the nail on the head. Taking the game to pastures new suits the NRL and the RLPA when there’s money in it for them. When they don’t have any financial gain they use the player welfare card. If it was break even do you really think they’d be taking SoO on the road? 

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

You’re missing the point Futtocks. jim-57 hit the nail on the head. Taking the game to pastures new suits the NRL and the RLPA when there’s money in it for them. When they don’t have any financial gain they use the player welfare card. If it was break even do you really think they’d be taking SoO on the road? 

Exactly!!!

It's about money, everything that the NRL, NRL clubs, etc, do is about money!

When somebody like me from Aus comes along and says the way that you are handling things is stupid, it's not because we are necessarily against what you are trying to do or because we are anti-expansion or whatever, it's cause the way you are trying to achieve your goals is never ever going to work. 

The NRL, the RLPA, the clubs, NSWRL, QRL, etc, aren't charities, they aren't going to do things out of the goodness of their hearts, everything that they do they are doing in pursuit of a pay day, so if you don't make it worth their while they aren't going to do it, that goes for everything from the WCC right on through to internationals, if they don't see the money at the end of the rainbow then they aren't going to follow that rainbow to the end.

The Denver game is 100% reliant on them and risking their players for it to go ahead in the manner that it should go ahead, and as it stands so far they aren't going to get anything in return for their risk, so they are going to fight it to the end. Maybe they won't stop it from going ahead but they will disrupt it as much as possible so they don't have to risk anything unnecessarily.

Edited by The Great Dane

11 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Exactly. Welfare only matters if there isn't money in it.

Yes exactly!

So, if you want to use their resources, such as their players, you need to make it worth their while otherwise they are just going to refuse to cooperate. 

11 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Lately though how many games being talked about in Hawaii, USA or Asia have never come to anything? All of them. Would be dependant on one of these cities/consortiums putting up enough money and the NRL having the balls to take it.

Balls has very little to do with it, it's more about money and self interest.

Shenzhen, Hawaii, and others over the years, have all fallen down because of the broadcasters, Nine and Fox, being unhappy with having to pay for equipment and the salaries of their people to broadcast games such as the above proposed games all over the world and threatening to have the people in charges heads if it goes ahead and threatening broadcasting rights values. At that point the people at the top of the NRL ###### themselves cause they care more about their jobs then a one off game in Shenzhen that is only going to help the Raiders and Eagles relationships with their sponsors, and the fact that for basically 20 years the NRL was owned and used and abused by News and they still basically run the game in almost every way.

If Rupert Murdoch wants somebody out at the NRL they are out, just like when Dave Smith started being a problem he was gone, and the administrators like Greenberg know it... 

On 14/02/2018 at 6:58 PM, Jace said:

Or you could just enjoy the occasion without vilifying people. These are the people you'd want to win over and I don't see how your approach would help in any way

Hi Jace dont know if you live in Adelaide or Australia or not.

My comment was based upon the half hour segment on ABC Adelaide where one of the presenters - who had lived in Sydney - was trying to explain to other presenter about RL.  The second presenter claimed not to know anything about RL or State of Origin but followed AFL and RU and totally rejected the idea.

They had Leon Bignall on air, Minisiter for Recreation amongst other things and the second presenter just kept asking how much did it cost to bring the game to Adelaide.  BIgnall kept reiterating that the Govt had entered into a contract and would not disclose the cost .... just has they did when they have brought in other events.  Even when Bignall said it would bring $15m to the economy the presenter wasnt satisfied.

They then read out emails, texts from AFL fans that crucified the decision.  It seemed these AFL fans will not change their mind therefore I am quite happy to have a go at them.

I will always encourage other people to go along and enjoy the game.

17 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

The second presenter claimed not to know anything about RL or State of Origin but followed AFL and RU and totally rejected the idea.

I once brought friends from Adelaide to their first ever RL game in a canberra suburb. After the first few minutes they wanted to know why they only pass the ball backward.. they knew absolutely nothing.

Ten years later and they now scream and yell at Canberra Raiders games and have had season tickets for a few years now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copa said:

After the first few minutes they wanted to know why they only pass the ball backward.. they knew absolutely nothing.

See, I really struggle to believe that someone from Australia, and I don't care what state they live in, doesn't know that the ball is not allowed to be passed forwards in a game of rugby of either code. Were they recent immigrants?

25 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

See, I really struggle to believe that someone from Australia, and I don't care what state they live in, doesn't know that the ball is not allowed to be passed forwards in a game of rugby of either code. Were they recent immigrants?

No. Raised in Adelaide.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I get that.

I forget about it until I experience it again then I'm like "holy ######, I forgot these people actually existed", so yeah I can see why it is hard to believe from the perspective of a person living on the other side of the world.

I guess we just underestimate the cultural divide between the eastern and southern and western parts of Australia.

18 hours ago, Copa said:

It’s the biggest annual sporting event in Oceania. Plenty of kiwis would love to watch it live. One match will roam around like the super bowl so everyone gets a chance to see it live.

You didn't answer the question, what does it have to do with NZ though?

5 hours ago, Jace said:

NZ is where New Zealanders live. Those people are also known as Kiwis. Many of those same Kiwis would love to watch SOO live in NZ. So, NZ is where many SOO fans live.

8 hours ago, Jace said:

What does Minneapolis have to do with New England V Philadelphia. What does Cardiff have to do with Madrid V Turin?

Big event games sold to neutral cities for events that need a neutral venue. Easy.

On 15 February 2018 at 10:35 AM, deluded pom? said:

You can't pass the ball forward in Union,really.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You can't pass the ball forward in Union,really.

Unless it has The Ring of Truth©.

But we all knew that already, right?