Sign in to follow this  
Copa

Quirky RL history - Prison team makes final so final is played behind bars.

I never knew this until I read this article that refers to the South Australian State competition.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/14/more-cities-set-to-bid-for-state-of-origin-after-adelaide-announcement/

The Rams folded in 1998 and while the game has come a long way since the SARL grand final had to be played behind bars because a jail team qualified and they could not play away games, there has been little interest in reviving an Adelaide NRL side.”

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, Copa said:

I never knew this until I read this article that refers to the South Australian State competition.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/14/more-cities-set-to-bid-for-state-of-origin-after-adelaide-announcement/

The Rams folded in 1998 and while the game has come a long way since the SARL grand final had to be played behind bars because a jail team qualified and they could not play away games, there has been little interest in reviving an Adelaide NRL side.”

Half that prison team were then signed by Manly.

• Like 1

When I was involved in the North Wales Coasters club in the  NWC division six in the, 90's the competition  had a team from a prison in or around Leyland (Wymott??)  and I also remember taking the Cumberland ARL into Haverigg Prison for a warm up game before the County Championships in the late eighties. Strange places to be playing games. 

Edited by yanto

1 hour ago, yanto said:

Ah Accrington always a warm welcome when we travelled there. :ph34r:

Accrington, the Florence of East Lancashire.

Wymott Prison were admitted to NWCL for the 1991-92 season where they finished bottom having played 18 and lost 18. they scored 106 points and conceded 840. They didn't feel they would be competitive in division 6 so they were relegated to division 7 for the 1992-93 season where they again finished bottom with 1 win from 18 games. They scored 168 points and conceded 969. There only recorded victory was 18-0 (by default) as Church Lowton didn't show up. They disbanded after 2 seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Wymott Prison were admitted to NWCL for the 1991-92 season where they finished bottom having played 18 and lost 18. they scored 106 points and conceded 840. They didn't feel they would be competitive in division 6 so they were relegated to division 7 for the 1992-93 season where they again finished bottom with 1 win from 18 games. They scored 168 points and conceded 969. There only recorded victory was 18-0 (by default) as Church Lowton didn't show up. They disbanded after 2 seasons.

91/92 so long ago :-).

Just pulled up a report from one of our games v Accrington.1990 which I think was maybe the second season in the NWC league.

Celtic Rooster would be able to confirm from your records when the Coasters entered the League?

I remember we played on a field at Boddlewythen Hospital after starting up at Llandudno rugby club then later on moved to the sports center at Abergele ...Good times.

EDIT :Just seen the caption below the newspaper clipping....28 years ago on my 30th birthday..wow !!

Edited by yanto