Sign in to follow this  
bamfordsbeans

Time for action

There have been numerous threads about the many issues involving our game in the UK.

The majority are valid and certainly need addressing.

The lack of fixtures in our international game,a stagnating top level SL,together with the financial issues for most of our semi-pro teams are all in need of attention.

Despite the above I feel the most urgent area is the rapid decline of our amateur/community game.

I have just read an article on the local papers website,which states that Brighouse Rangers have withdrawn from the Pennine League.It also states that the league which boasted 10 divisions not that long ago is down to 4.I believe this situation is mirrored in other leagues in our "heartlands".

"Locally Elland (who 15 years ago had upto 4 open age teams and a flourishing junior scene),Boothtown,Stainland Stags,Calder Valley,Todmorden.Halifax Irish  and others can be added to this list. Apart from Siddal I believe the other surviving teams have disbanded their second teams.

The local paper in their weekly round up heavily features the strong union set ups(a lot of ex league names appear frequently) whereas the diminishing league gets only a few lines

If this was only happening in the Halifax area the overall state of the game could be tolerated,but I fear it is not.

If you are only involved in the game as a supporter of  a team in the top half of SL,you may think what has this got to do with me?

Players,officials,supporters,admnistrators often start out at the local amateur team,and if the number of these clubs are halved this will/is having a significant impact.

• Like 4

Seems to be a lot of clubs not fulfilling fixtures in that Pennine League - all leagues in it.

i think Selby have dropped out altogether for lack of players.

35 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

There have been numerous threads about the many issues involving our game in the UK.

The majority are valid and certainly need addressing.

The lack of fixtures in our international game,a stagnating top level SL,together with the financial issues for most of our semi-pro teams are all in need of attention.

Despite the above I feel the most urgent area is the rapid decline of our amateur/community game.

I have just read an article on the local papers website,which states that Brighouse Rangers have withdrawn from the Pennine League.It also states that the league which boasted 10 divisions not that long ago is down to 4.I believe this situation is mirrored in other leagues in our "heartlands".

"Locally Elland (who 15 years ago had upto 4 open age teams and a flourishing junior scene),Boothtown,Stainland Stags,Calder Valley,Todmorden.Halifax Irish  and others can be added to this list. Apart from Siddal I believe the other surviving teams have disbanded their second teams.

The local paper in their weekly round up heavily features the strong union set ups(a lot of ex league names appear frequently) whereas the diminishing league gets only a few lines

If this was only happening in the Halifax area the overall state of the game could be tolerated,but I fear it is not.

If you are only involved in the game as a supporter of  a team in the top half of SL,you may think what has this got to do with me?

Players,officials,supporters,admnistrators often start out at the local amateur team,and if the number of these clubs are halved this will/is having a significant impact.

I have been going on about this for a long time, if the amatuer/community game was an hospital patient it would not be far from being transferred to the High Dependency Unit.

If more people who purport to have the game at heart gave just 10% of the concern they have in bulling up new teams in cities in this country and the north american continent who's native people in those places have no respect for our game, and will have to be taught all about it, whilst a vast number of those who have amatuer teams on their doorsteps are happy enough to let it wither and die away.

The amatuer game is the foundations and building blocks which supports all that lays on top, if the foundations erode, it will not be long before all that sits above it will start to creak, crack and evantually will come tumbling down.

• Like 2

The only saleable product the game has is SL. 

The only way to keep the saleable product alive is via youth.

Both require each other, or the game dies.

The Pennine league (winter) is down to 4 divisions as the majority of teams have gone to the Yorkshire Men’s League (summer)

That includes Brighouse Rangers who are concentrating on their Summer team

Edited by Spidey

The decline of the amateur game certainly seems to have accelerated since some teams/leagues have turned to summer.

Is the RFL to blame?Is it BARLA,the leagues or the clubs?

Whoever it is,who is going to try and attempt to stop this downward spiral?

Just now, bamfordsbeans said:

The decline of the amateur game certainly seems to have accelerated since some teams/leagues have turned to summer.

I’m not convinced things are as dire as you suggest. There has been a steady decline for the past decade in the amateur game. It’s not suddenly dropped off a cliff, I think that’s levelling out at the minute.  In the past three or so seasons there has been steady growth in the 7s-12s age groups.

All parties are responsible from the amateur clubs themselves up to the RFL themselves. 

Theres a lot of factors that have contributed to the decline, none more so than general changes in society itself and what people do with their spare time. 

You cant point the finger of blame just at the RFL or BARLA which is what is sounds you’d like to do??

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I spoke to a few lads about a month ago who said they were considering packing up for fear of getting injured, not getting paid with a family to support.  How can you argue that?

Imo the key is to get a decent squad and try and keep them all happy by good rotation.  Easier said than done.  One problem is when the squad is small and a couple of injuries leads to them getting hammered week on week.

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I spoke to a few lads about a month ago who said they were considering packing up for fear of getting injured, not getting paid with a family to support.  How can you argue that?

All depends on individuals works circumstances. I’d always recommend anybody playing contact sports to take out some sort of insurance, to protect against this sort of thing

Again this highlights the shift in society, people are more conscious of the consequences of contact Sport 

to be fair local RU teams around me are doing the same.. local club I used to play for way back when (before I started playing league) used to have 4 teams and a vets, now has 2.. the team down the road used to have 4 teams, now has 2... a few teams/clubs have disappeared completely too.

I dont know enough about football but I would guess similar is happening.

Cricket in the area is also down in numbers of clubs and numbers of teams at clubs..

it is a general malaise in people doing things into the senior lives.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zorquif said:

I thought you had to have insurance to play?

Teams require insurance to enter a league which is from a loss of earnings point of view useless for individual players. 

Players are mosyly advised to take out their own policy 

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

There was resistance to it,and warnings against it.

But a certain Nigel Wood was sure it would increase the number of participants

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/community-clubs-launch-summer-rugby/

The arguments against were quite good - http://hullopenagerugbyleague.pitchero.com/talking-grassroots-2293

http://hullopenagerugbyleague.pitchero.com/summer-or-winter-1470

It seems the Rubicon may have been crossed.It is going to require someone special to bring everyone back on board.

Difficult.