Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Match thread: London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers Sunday February 18th

Two from two against Top 4 rivals. London are another team aiming for a top 4 slot, so it's another huge game for us.

I saw no weak links on Sunday, and I haven't heard about injuries, so if Handley is available on DR it could be same 17 again.

Tough on Cooper. Perhaps Hock could have a rest.

Hardman, Frankie & Brooks out in the cold at the mo', but they will be needed this year.

Robinson, Walton and Ulugia on the injured list.

I'm unlikely to make it but I haven'  given up hope yet.

Its a fair drive and means I'm leaving the memsahib on her own with all our other commitments.

But.... if anyone's  got the addess and post code for the ground...... you know.... just in case😊

Watched them at the Rams. Nothing special. A decent scrambling defence but attack play not up to scratch. A big pack with Sammut leading the fray. Get it out wide!!.

• Like 1

I read the Dewsbury posts and got the impression that with a bit more intelligent play Dewsbury could have nicked it and two of Londons trys we’re lucky ricochets.That said for me its up a notch to last week and have the disadvantage of playing away on a synthetic pitch.we have the confidence which is a big thing and good players to win this one by 10 points and keep it going with the reward imo of an easy home match the following week which I always enjoy seeing Tubby looking angry and miserable after the match.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Two from two against Top 4 rivals. London are another team aiming for a top 4 slot, so it's another huge game for us.

I saw no weak links on Sunday, and I haven't heard about injuries, so if Handley is available on DR it could be same 17 again.

Tough on Cooper. Perhaps Hock could have a rest.

Hardman, Frankie & Brooks out in the cold at the mo', but they will be needed this year.

Robinson, Walton and Ulugia on the injured list.

I'd expect Cooper to play in this: I'm not convinced Hock's fitness is there yet and given that the pitch is suited to more mobile players I'd swap the 2 of them.

Cant fault your thinking, especially if we get an injury to one of the forwards and our 4th sub is a 10 minutes first half 10 minutes  second half player. as its now a 17 man game. NOT a 16 and a bit .

15 hours ago, saddleworth said:

Watched them at the Rams. Nothing special. A decent scrambling defence but attack play not up to scratch. A big pack with Sammut leading the fray. Get it out wide!!.

I know conditions weren't the best,same for both sides. From what I saw of London they are nothing special,as usual keep Sammut quiet,which we did for most of the game,then it's job done. You might have more problems keeping Eddie (Nora) Battye quiet, he was in the referee's ear all the time he was on the field.

I reckon you'll do them by at least 14pts.

19 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd expect Cooper to play in this: I'm not convinced Hock's fitness is there yet and given that the pitch is suited to more mobile players I'd swap the 2 of them.

I agree with you about Hock's fitness, but it appears to me he is getting fitter each game and getting more minutes each game. I expect both to increase again against London. And given the fact that the best way to get your fitness is to play I would expect Hock to play.

I get the impression that Duffy is going to rotate the forwards so as to keep them fresh for the rest of the season. He can't do this with the backs at the minute, but suspect that will come in the future as we get Ulugia and Walton back.

On that basis I'd not be surprised to see Brookes and Cooper given a run out against London as replacements for 2 of Farrell, Knowles, Davies, Wheeldon, Moore or Lockwood. Or for even Mariano to be back in the team come Sunday. I am not saying any of them should be dropped BTW. However what do I know come Sunday it will probably be the same 17.

Battye is the man to watch, especially near the line. Is a big, rough ,tough kid. They are nowt sparkling in attack. Loose their way near the line. Sammut up to his niggling tricks (sign of old age?). Get into their ribs !!!.

On 14/02/2018 at 12:33 PM, Robin Evans said:

I'm unlikely to make it but I haven'  given up hope yet.

Its a fair drive and means I'm leaving the memsahib on her own with all our other commitments.

But.... if anyone's  got the addess and post code for the ground...... you know.... just in case😊

If you need an extra incentive to go...on Sunday 1st September 2013 we beat Hunslet away to clinch the league leaders' title for the fourth year running.

We haven't been top of the league since.

But we will be if we win on Sunday.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I agree with you about Hock's fitness, but it appears to me he is getting fitter each game and getting more minutes each game. I expect both to increase again against London. And given the fact that the best way to get your fitness is to play I would expect Hock to play.

I get the impression that Duffy is going to rotate the forwards so as to keep them fresh for the rest of the season. He can't do this with the backs at the minute, but suspect that will come in the future as we get Ulugia and Walton back.

On that basis I'd not be surprised to see Brookes and Cooper given a run out against London as replacements for 2 of Farrell, Knowles, Davies, Wheeldon, Moore or Lockwood. Or for even Mariano to be back in the team come Sunday. I am not saying any of them should be dropped BTW. However what do I know come Sunday it will probably be the same 17.

I would play the best team available on Sunday then rest one or two to give others a game the week after against Sheffield before the big one away at Leigh. No sentiment against the Leythers, strongest team available a must again, then Swinton and the cup game which should give opportunity to give others another chance.

27 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Squad is out, Handley, Hock and Knowles replaced by Robinson, Brooks and Mariano.

Think cooper should get a run out inplace of brooks 

Fast playing surface requires mobile pack to get on top and deny their halves any room to play.

Think Farrell, Cooper and Davies could well have big games.

Fev by 10.

19 minutes ago, PonteBlue said:

Fast playing surface requires mobile pack to get on top and deny their halves any room to play.

There's definitely an argument for selecting those forwards that are lightest on their feet (i.e. Cooper/Brooks), both to make the most of the quicker game these artificial surfaces encourage, and of course to hopefully minimise the risk of serious injuries.

Having said that, I wouldn't have argued had he stuck with the same 17 as last week, which I note from the squad is not possible now. I'm a bit surprised Handley isn't included - providing he was available.

I think picking Robinson over Handley sends out the right message. AH is class and we are happy to have him but SR played well first game and pre-season and deserves to be in there.

I can see the logic of picking apparently more nimble forwards given the placky pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

I think picking Robinson over Handley sends out the right message. AH is class and we are happy to have him but SR played well first game and pre-season and deserves to be in there.

I agree. I'd have picked both, and played AH at centre with Misi having a 'breather' as an interchange.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Adam B said:

I agree. I'd have picked both, and played AH at centre with Misi having a 'breather' as an interchange.

Not a bad shout that. I see AH as a winger very much, but he can do centre. Misi is one of our 'veterans' and those placky pitches can be very unforgiving.