Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Match thread: London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers Sunday February 18th

Well that's ruined my weekend. There was a lot of talk last week about the right game plan to deal with London ???? This is an absolute shocker on the back of the early season promise. Let's hope we can turn it all around next week.

4 hours ago, coolie said:

Think positive 

They didn't get 50 ;)

Makes our losing by 12 last week a good result lol

Yeah at Dewsbury as well, you've to go to London yet! 

Having watched the game again, and thought about it a bit more, am not quite so depressed as I was yesterday afternoon, though I still think we were very disappointing and don't disagree with Duffy's comments that our attitude was poor.

It just strikes me that London are very canny about how to play on their own pitch. There wasn't much flowing passing rugby from them, they just probe, probe, probe, knowing that when a gap does appear or a chance comes from broken play they have the speed to exploit it. Apart from the two tries from high kicks (which we REALLY need to find a way to counter), all their tries resulted from one player finding a gap up the middle and taking advantage of that quick surface, either to score himself or hand on to someone else, and they took advantage of virtually every scoring chance they had.

By contrast, all five of our tries came from more "traditional" passing movements, the ball going through three or four pairs of hands until the overlap was found...they were similar tries to the ones we have been scoring all season.

London's game plan defensively seemed to be to accept that it was better to risk giving away a penalty than risk allowing a quick play-the-ball....they conceded shedloads of penalties at the ruck and could have conceded plenty more, but it worked for them; they seemed to concede penalties early in the tackle count, too, whereas we gave away several late in the tackle count after a good defensive set.

I'd be prepared to draw a line under that performance, we were certainly very poor and we need to learn how to play better on plastic but it's a very different type of game to ones played on grass. Hopefull we'll bounce back against Sheffield next week and if so then there's a big chance for the players to redeem themselves the week after at Leigh.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Having ....

I dont need to watch the game again, other than to confirm that the player seemingly in front of Sammut for the first try was making a genuine attempt for the ball and had come from an onside position and that the pen on the PTB was for not regaining feet rather than stepping over the ball(key moment in game). The ref was inconsistent and feeble but that doesnt give us the excuse not to go looking at learning from all the deficiencies in the performance you have mentioned and i couldnt have summarised them better than you have.

Mentioned last week that having watched the Rams-Bronco game, Sammut was the man to watch. Niggling, probing, good in play kicking. An old head on old shoulders.

Yes apparently JD said we practiced all week on how to deal with him but the players attitude wasn’t right in dealing with him and that is something for him to sort out.

They are a slow, old, overweight team and speed was always going to catch them out. The Cunningham and Pitts breaks from acting half back was something you only typically see on back fields at very low level.

The pitch is the least of there worries.

Mac out!

This is just one of many comments on London broncos  Fans Forum, I’ll enjoy re-quoting this ‘ IF’ we return the favour at our place-time will tell 😉