Sign in to follow this  
Desert Skipper

Interesting quote from Allan Bateman about RL supporters

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/new-life-allan-bateman-truth-14227460

“Rugby league crowds are the best in any sport because you have got the chanting and singing of football with the attitude of union supporters.”

Was always one of my favourite Warrington players growing up.   No one got past his defensive technique.   Warrington insulted him with a paltry offer prior to the start of Super League and he went on to do a sterling job in defence for Cronulla.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of all the converts of that last generation of RU shamateurism, he seemed to have one the lowest profiles, while simultaneously receiving the most respect (from players and fans) of anyone short of Jiffy.

A quiet over-achiever.

• Like 3

Played in a touch rugby tournament when I was about 11 on his team. Played against Richie Eyres. One of my fondest RL memories

He was great on and off the field (even for a Warrington Player 😜😜)

Edited by Spidey

I would recommend his autobiography.

A really good read. Like him... A wee bit low profile, but very enjoyable once you get into it. Definitely one of the better sports books I have read.

(He mentions playing union for Wales against the All Blacks... Approaches Zinzan Brooke to swap jerseys after Wales had been thrashed. Brooke: What the ###### would I want with that Jersey? I wouldn't wipe my a**e with it".)

On 16/02/2018 at 3:16 PM, Futtocks said:

Of all the converts of that last generation of RU shamateurism, he seemed to have one the lowest profiles, while simultaneously receiving the most respect (from players and fans) of anyone short of Jiffy.

A quiet over-achiever.

Id take Bateman over Davies any day of the week. Davies had the x factor, but as an all round RL player that was gonna play 30 games a year Id have Bateman in there ahead of most.

When people talk about us not producing players nowadays I think they do forget the conveyor belt we had from RU back then. Watching that Warrington team back then I have very fond memories of Bateman, Ellis, Phillips, Davies etc.

On 16/02/2018 at 4:41 PM, Spidey said:

Played in a touch rugby tournament when I was about 11 on his team. Played against Richie Eyres. One of my fondest RL memories

He was great on and off the field (even for a Warrington Player 😜😜)

Eyres didn’t try to trip you up did he?

6 hours ago, Celt said:

I would recommend his autobiography.

A really good read. Like him... A wee bit low profile, but very enjoyable once you get into it. Definitely one of the better sports books I have read.

(He mentions playing union for Wales against the All Blacks... Approaches Zinzan Brooke to swap jerseys after Wales had been thrashed. Brooke: What the ###### would I want with that Jersey? I wouldn't wipe my a**e with it".)

Brooke played union one year for Coventry just after they went honest.

I was crossing the car park carrying a Bears shirt. The guy that was with Brooke spotted me and asked to see the shirt.  Brooke said " rugby league?"

I told him it was and asked if he fancied turning out for the Bears thinking it would be a good publicity stunt. 

"How much do you pay? He asked 

"Nothing we are amatuers " I replied 

"Tch, its been years since I played for nothing" he scoffed.

Hypocritical siht

• Like 1