Sign in to follow this  
newbe

Stadium's.

There is nothing worse than watching a game of rugby league with a athletics track around a pitch. It dilutes the atmosphere love York, Coventry, Oldham, even Hemel creates a buzz, What's the worst n best? One of the worst was Sheffield Eagles old place, Oxford was pretty bad too 

Edited by newbe
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, newbe said:

There is nothing worse than watching a game of rugby league with a athletics track around a pitch. It dilutes the atmosphere love York, Coventry, Oldham, even Hemel creates a buzz, What's the worst n best? One of the worst was Sheffield Eagles old place, Oxford was pretty bad too 

Indeed , thats why I'm unhappy at Leighs away game against Toulouse has been switched to Albi 

• Like 1

Me personally I like cougar park,Keighley's ground.Proper old school. I too am not so keen on grounds with a running track around them.

The best ground is mount pleasant along with post office road 

modern but still have a old school look shame Knowsley road and Central Park and a few others didn’t follow lead 

• Like 4

It is not a RL thing. Athletic tracks around any sport pitch makes for poorer viewing. Unfortunately until we can afford to build our own single use stadia and rely on council funded multi purpose sport grounds  we have to accept that multi use facility.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newbe said:

There is nothing worse than watching a game of rugby league...

Interesting. I'm adding these:

.....with hardly anyone in the stadium

......with a useless or non-existent PA

.....in a ground with seats at pitch level

....in a ground that allows people to drink beer in the stands in winter

......in Yorkshire. 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't stand any modern concrete, breeze block and steel monstrosity, with no proper supporters bar where you can Sit and have a beer and look at all the memorabilia on the walls, and you get served over priced ale in a plastic pot by a pimply faced youth in a paper hat. My favourite grounds were the Willows, Station road, McLaren field, Wigginton road, Wilderspool, Central park.

• Like 4

..you tell that to kids today and they won't believe you! 😀😀😀😀😀

Break out the Hovis adverts. Belle Vue and Wheldon Road are dumps and Post Office Road has Floodlight stanchions about 4m from the touchline.

Mount Pleasant, Lawkholme Lane  and Post Office Road have sloping pitches that can sway the result.

We can't simultaneously call for the game to expand and at the same time extol the Victorian playing facilities.

For what it's worth, I think Halifax and Huddersfield offer excellent views and atmosphere for supporters. Although at Hudds the atmosphere is often engendered by the away supporters. I also like the Sale pitch used by Swinton.

looking forward to seeing some new grounds this season.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 2

Don't worry, Wakefield council will make sure Belle Vue never sees redevelopment. I count myself lucky that I get to see most of my rugby at Post Office Road.

15 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Break out the Hovis adverts. Belle Vue and Wheldon Road are dumps and Post Office Road has Floodlight stanchions about 4m from the touchline.

Mount Pleasant, Lawkholme Lane  and Post Office Road have sloping pitches that can sway the result.

We can't simultaneously call for the game to expand and at the same time extol the Victorian playing facilities.

For what it's worth, I think Halifax and Huddersfield offer excellent views and atmosphere for supporters. Although at Hudds the atmosphere is often engendered by the away supporters. I also like the Sale pitch used by Swinton.

I think the sloping pitches are the best ones ☺

The stadiums are all modern and offer good views. Also the pitches compare well to others. 

Worst ground ever - Alt Park, Huyton. Anyone here remember Piggy Fletcher's buy-a-brick scheme? Yes, and get it straight back through the coach window courtesy of the local scallies as you left! Best old ground has to be McClaren Field, Bramley. Lovely little ground, great supporters and the best pie, mushy peas and mint sauce in't Northern Union. Now to upset some people on here. For me the best current ground is the LSV. Easy parking, modern facilities (I've reached the age where needing a gas mask and industrial grade wellies every time I want a leak has rather lost its appeal), good sight lines with nothing in your line of vision.

• Like 3

Strangely enough I can enjoy almost any ground if the atmosphere is good.  Cas and Leeds usually deliver well on that front.  Odsal is probably the exception due to it's vastness and long distance viewing.

28 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Odsal is probably the exception due to it's vastness and long distance viewing.

it was a long time ago, but I have a very good memory there..

I miss the older grounds, sure, but they were dumps. Whilst I've never experienced an atmosphere quite like a Good Friday derby at Central Park/Knowlsey Road I find anywhere with terracing does the job. I'm a big fan of both Halliwell Jones and Totally Wicked. Anywhere you get crammed into usually generates the best atmosphere. The DW is my least favourite and has lead to me mostly doing away games (although living darn sarth the last few years has restricted that too).

I'll never forget going to The Willows and seeing a bloke walking down the street with a Samurai Sword. 

Edited by andyscoot

49 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Worst ground ever - Alt Park, Huyton. Anyone here remember Piggy Fletcher's buy-a-brick scheme? Yes, and get it straight back through the coach window courtesy of the local scallies as you left! Best old ground has to be McClaren Field, Bramley. Lovely little ground, great supporters and the best pie, mushy peas and mint sauce in't Northern Union. Now to upset some people on here. For me the best current ground is the LSV. Easy parking, modern facilities (I've reached the age where needing a gas mask and industrial grade wellies every time I want a leak has rather lost its appeal), good sight lines with nothing in your line of vision.

Have to agree... Alt Park needed knocking down as soon as it was built...

and... er I was one of those local scallies but never threw anything I hesitant to add... 

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 2

Got to agree with the running track problem, as a workington town fan think we can add speedway tracks to this ,derwent park is good when a decent crowd is in attendance but is terribly exposed with 500 there.I also don't like the modern 4 box stands construction that seems popular but thought spotland looked fantastic packed out yesterday

The problem is that all new grounds big and small are still being built as souless flatpack stadia.

The Americans spent ages building the same bowls and domes but now have started to come away with the one design fits all and are building "quirky" stadiums and especially in baseball "heritage" stadiums.

We need a bit of innovation in regards to stadia in this country

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

And back in the day, when viewers tuned into the BBC's coverage of the Regal Trophy and Challenge Cup,  more often than not those dumps are what they would have seen.

Traditionalists might ponder what sort of image that gave the game and how that relates to its struggles in getting good media coverage, TV contracts and sponsorship.

The only good thing about so called "traditional" grounds is that they are becoming less in number. Some people may think standing under a leaky rusting piece of corrugated iron is atmospheric I would see it is downright dangerous and shows the game in a terrible light.

Rust bucket grounds have no place in the modern game, bulldoze the lot of them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

And Odsal is a palace with all mod cons. :)

• Haha 1

Anyone who was at the Scotland v NZ 4nations match at Workington will tell you the speedway track doesn't make any difference - as a Town fan when the games good you never notice - better than not been able to see the touch line at places like Whitehaven.

Edited by Mr Frisky