The Daddy

Proposal put forward to cut SL to 10

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Would it? Leigh couldnt even get a 5 figure gate with free attendance having just won promotion.  The fact is, in attendance terms, the MPG is a relatively substantial step down from the championship GF

You cant quite grasp the difference between viewing figures and attendance. For the last twenty years you'll find the viewing figures will far outweigh the attendances.

Edited by SL17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You cant quite grasp the difference between viewing figures and attendance. For the last twenty years you'll find the viewing figures will far outweigh the attendances.

the viewing figures werent particularly good either it got substantially less than the 2 SL games that week, less even than Australia v SA in RU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

the viewing figures werent particularly good either it got substantially less than the 2 SL games that week, less even than Australia v SA in RU

It makes no difference.Sky don't switch a fixture to accommodate attendances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SL17 said:

It makes no difference.Sky don't switch a fixture to accommodate attendances.

What? Have you been drinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jpmc said:

LOL nope i didnt

Are you sure......

56 minutes ago, jpmc said:

If the game does go to 20 full time clubs then i think this is what will happen to the championship.

We haven't got 20 FT Clubs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What? Have you been drinking?

They do it to accommodate viewing figures,surely.. I must need another drink..;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Are you sure......

We haven't got 20 FT Clubs..

Of coarse im sure,keep reading it till it sinks in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Are you sure......

We haven't got 20 FT Clubs..

We have 16, Bradford would be 17 at some point before the next TV deal and any NA expansion teams would be FT. Fev and FAX would likely switch in the case of FT or League 1 without finding.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SL17 said:

They do it to accommodate viewing figures,surely.. I must need another drink..;)

But the viewing figures arent great either. They arent terrible but they arent breaking any records. 1 game that isnt particularly well attended, nor particularly well watched is not something we need to build our season around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

We have 16, Bradford would be 17 at some point before the next TV deal and any NA expansion teams would be FT. Fev and FAX would likely switch in the case of FT or League 1 without finding.

But 16 is not 20,is it? Fax already had the opportunity to go FT ,but in their words chose the reserve route over that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But the viewing figures arent great either. They arent terrible but they arent breaking any records. 1 game that isnt particularly well attended, nor particularly well watched is not something we need to build our season around. 

Well they won't break records because the game is stagnant. If Sky could have two games alone the GF and MPG  would be the ones. That doesn't support game for me from a media point of view. We all see how SL reach the GF, but we don't see how Championship or L1 clubs reach the 8's.

Its always been a continuing issue in this sport. SL needs answers to their questions,but now is the time for the lower tiers to go their own way. The effect on SL with losing the lower tiers will only leave one winner. Thats whats been created now and it's time for the lower tiers to turn the screw.

Edited by SL17
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Would it? Leigh couldnt even get a 5 figure gate with free attendance having just won promotion.  The fact is, in attendance terms, the MPG is a relatively substantial step down from the championship GF

Scotchy - we did get over 10k v Batley having just won promotion with free attendance. That is a fact. Not sure where your number come from. I would guess that the MPG is more interesting TV wise than the championship GF. For me its up there with the GF and Challenge Cup final as staple viewing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Scotchy - we did get over 10k v Batley having just won promotion with free attendance. That is a fact. Not sure where your number come from. I would guess that the MPG is more interesting TV wise than the championship GF. For me its up there with the GF and Challenge Cup final as staple viewing

You are right. 10'500. But it still doesnt really back up the idea that they would get more than 10k paying tickets for the MPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

We have 16, Bradford would be 17 at some point before the next TV deal and any NA expansion teams would be FT. Fev and FAX would likely switch in the case of FT or League 1 without finding.

We don't have 16 clubs at Superleague level.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

But 16 is not 20,is it? Fax already had the opportunity to go FT ,but in their words chose the reserve route over that.

16 is not 20, but there is a difference between full time professional SL clubs running on a £2m salary bill like 10 clubs do, and clubs who may have not much longer to go due to heavy debts like Salford, or clubs who don’t pay full level SL wages whether it be Widnes, London, or Toulouse, or clubs who pay high wages but are low on SL talent e,g. Leigh and Leigh Reserves.

NA expansion clubs can be “full time” and dish out £2M a year to imported championship level players. But not if SL2 is salary capped below SL1. The idea Halifax who have been in financial difficulties for years, and dual reg Fev will go “Full time” just like that, is the usual wishful thinking that is no good when discussing the realities.

Even if a whopping TV deal comes around and 20 clubs are given £3M each to run their squads then they are still sharing the same player pool. Just about enough decent players for a 10 club SL1, and  after that the same championship players, just heavily overpaid. If SL meant 20 top rate professional teams all on big wages then they would not be talking “parachute payments”.

These payments assist clubs not to fall apart when they drop a tier and hit financial disaster. So it seems the SL2 moniker isn’t because SL2 clubs will be on the same financial level as SL 1 clubs. It’s more likely because they will be administered by Superleague as opposed to the RFL.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The player pool becomes even less, when you take into account the number of part time players, that would never switch to full time. Plenty won't switch because they have income that betters a FT position in RL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SL17 said:

But 16 is not 20,is it? Fax already had the opportunity to go FT ,but in their words chose the reserve route over that.

If you change the landscape one day to FT or amateur it's a different scenario.

I thunk we are much closer to the 20 than you think. Yes we don't have 20 now but the landscape doesn't require them, if you change the rules you will find people fighting to be part of that 20, it's just that simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Parksider said:

We don't have 16 clubs at Superleague level.

question was 20 FT teams...do you work for trumps media team because you spew so much misinformation that it would make Russians blush.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

If you change the landscape one day to FT or amateur it's a different scenario.

I thunk we are much closer to the 20 than you think. Yes we don't have 20 now but the landscape doesn't require them, if you change the rules you will find people fighting to be part of that 20, it's just that simple. 

The problem again would be the player pool,as I said above.

Most PT clubs would lose 50/70% of their squads by making the switch. Most of these guys are in secured employment.

They just wouldn't give that security up, or make the level.

So where would they get their new players from? The player pool struggles to keep 16     FT squads going. Now we want 20. 

No chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

If you change the landscape one day to FT or amateur it's a different scenario.

I thunk we are much closer to the 20 than you think. Yes we don't have 20 now but the landscape doesn't require them, if you change the rules you will find people fighting to be part of that 20, it's just that simple. 

Clubs like Fev and Sheffield have tried the FT route in the past, it didn't work out well for them. Why would they want to do it again ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Clubs like Fev and Sheffield have tried the FT route in the past, it didn't work out well for them. Why would they want to do it again ?

It all depends on what the options are. If by going on what this thread is referring to we go 20 FT teams in two divisions and everyone else is cut off do you think they will want to give it one more try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

Clubs like Fev and Sheffield have tried the FT route in the past, it didn't work out well for them. Why would they want to do it again ?

Featherstone has not been full time. To date the club has been semi professional, with some full time players.

Edited by Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Aug 2018

Rugby League World - Aug 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here