GB Lions Squad

GB Lions to have a different coach to England?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. GB Lions to have a different coach to England?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/02/18 at 17:14

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

So with talk of the Lions tour next year which players do people think would make the squad other than those currently representing England?

Should Bennett coach both England and the Lions or should we have a separate coach?

Bennett is the coach of GB for 2019. I heard Sinfield say so today in his interview with Dave Woods. Sinfield also mentioned that there will be a presence from non-England players in the squad. He didn't elaborate but it would indicate perhaps a minimum criteria of squad places. 

Really? That is interesting.

So there is a potential that rather than selecting the strongest squad, the squad will have to fulfill a quota requirement for each home nation and could end up weaker as a consequence.

I love the concept of the Lions but unlike the British and Irish Lions in RU the depth is just not there in RL.

I appreciate that Bennett is to coach GB next year but I was hoping to gauge opinion if people preferred this solution?

RU has its own Lions coach which works well.

6 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Wales, Scotland and Ireland can all provide some good dirt-trackers for any midweek matches.

Regan Grace, Craig Kopczak and Ben Flower wouldn't let any GB squad down.

Have you not heard that Rugby League Ireland isn't going to participate?  Ireland players wouldn't be included in that case.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Surprises me. Brian Carney was GB captain. I guess most Irish players are dual-nationality anyway.

And he has repeatedly said how difficult it was for him to play under the Union Jack, with a foreign anthem being played, and nothing but a token shamrock on the badge to represent Ireland .

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

17 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

And he has repeatedly said how difficult it was for him to play under the Union Jack, with a foreign anthem being played, and nothing but a token shamrock on the badge to represent Ireland .

That's how I feel about all those Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings representing GB.

;):biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

So will there be anybody who is not eligible for England who will be playing for GB?

Maybe Grace, though even as a Saints fan I wouldn't put him in the top 4 wingers in SL at the moment, though hopefully next year.  Flower possibly could make a claim if he has a big year.  Other than that?

Listening to Sinfield, he hinted that Scottish and Welsh players would be in the squad regardless.

3 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Really? That is interesting.

So there is a potential that rather than selecting the strongest squad, the squad will have to fulfill a quota requirement for each home nation and could end up weaker as a consequence.

I love the concept of the Lions but unlike the British and Irish Lions in RU the depth is just not there in RL.

I appreciate that Bennett is to coach GB next year but I was hoping to gauge opinion if people preferred this solution?

RU has its own Lions coach which works well.

To be fair the RU lions coach is the Wales coach too.

32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Listening to Sinfield, he hinted that Scottish and Welsh players would be in the squad regardless.

Regardless of merit ? That would be interesting selection and a few left out would have a beef . 

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Regardless of merit ? That would be interesting selection and a few left out would have a beef . 

If you were playing midweek games you may carry a squad of 36-38. I'm sure a minimum of 3 from each country is going to help the venture not hurt it IMO. If we aren't going to do that then what is the point of GB? It is just England in a red, white and blue shirt.

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

A few of the England World Cup squad were 30-something so room for a couple of forwards to come in maybe?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

22 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you were playing midweek games you may carry a squad of 36-38. I'm sure a minimum of 3 from each country is going to help the venture not hurt it IMO. If we aren't going to do that then what is the point of GB? It is just England in a red, white and blue shirt.

Sure , no issues , there’s good guys out there with merit , and the venture would be enhanced , the word ‘regardless’ perhaps gave an unfair impression . I think it would be a shame if Ireland missed out to ,after the WC it would be another boost on the international stage and the RU manage to encompass it by emphasising ‘the Lions’

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Which is what I suspect it will end up like. England in a different kit. If it's Bennett in charge we might even get some Celtic heritage Aussies. 

9 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Which is what I suspect it will end up like. England in a different kit. If it's Bennett in charge we might even get some Celtic heritage Aussies. 

Yes I think this is a point . Guys like Coote and Aitken play for Scotland etc . I guess they’re eligible 

6 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I am a little concerned that it could end up being England plus Lachlan Coote, Peter Wallace and Kane Linnett etc. People need to be careful what they wish for hankering after GB. 

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Can you imagine the uproar... ???

Great Britain was a time of English players and Welsh RU converts (occasionally the odd Scottish RU convert). The landscape is completely different now. The top 40-50 players in the UK are arguably all English.

Archived