Sign in to follow this  
Abicus

NZ Herald: AUS v TON in NZ at end of 2018? + TON v NZ potential if Denver Test collapses

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11998152

On Australia v Tonga:

"The NZRL might not be interested in the Kiwis playing Tonga but the World Champion Kangaroos could face off against the Pacific Island side in Auckland.

Talks are continuing for Tonga to play Australia in an end of year test with Hawaii touted as a possible venue, but there's a chance the match could be held at Mt Smart Stadium.

Auckland is being considered as a venue for the potential clash that could see the likes of former Kiwis-turned-Tongan World Cup heroes Jason Taumalolo, David Fusitu'a, Manu Ma'u and Sio Siua Taukeiaho line up against Kangaroos stars Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis and Boyd Cordner, as organisers and sponsors weigh up where the event could be most successful.

"It's certainly still on the cards," Tonga coach Woolf told the Herald.

"It's no closer to being finalised, there's still a fair bit to go, but it's something that we want to happen and something Australia want to happen and there's a fair bit of interest from companies wanting to at least look into whether it's a viable option and where it will be a viable option.

"And one thing that hasn't been written off is bringing a game like that to New Zealand.

"So there are a number of different possibilities there in terms of where that could be played, Hawaii being just one of those.

"But it's certainly something that a lot of people want to make happen so I'd like to think it's a really good chance for that reason."

On Tonga withdrawal from Pacific Test if NZ become available. 

Tonga is currently scheduled to play Samoa in a Pacific test in Sydney on June 23, but Woolf says the NRL are open to his side withdrawing from the Campbelltown Stadium fixture if New Zealand agrees to host them.

"There is scope for New Zealand to play Tonga on that weekend and in terms of other games as part of a Pacific test, the NRL have made that clear that we could certainly look at manoeuvring around that," said Woolf.

"NZRL were certainly involved in discussions around that before Christmas, so there is the possibility if everyone agreed that that game could still eventuate.

"That all depends on what happens with the England-New Zealand game, but one thing we can't do is hold off on everything else while we wait for one country to decide what they want to be a part of.

"As I've said all along, the big game for me and the one we'd love to be a part of is Tonga-New Zealand in New Zealand.

"But we can't cut off other opportunities to sit and wait for that to come along either, so it's all something that needs to be moved on really quickly.

"If we're going to play Samoa we want that to be a big event and that to be a success.

"We need to be able to put on a professional camp for our players as well and that means we need to get planning ASAP."

The NZRL would not comment on the likelihood of the Denver test going ahead but denied they were aware that the NRL were willing to allow Tonga to pull out of the Pacific test against Samoa.

The Denver test was reportedly close to being finalised earlier this month but the Warriors are among several NRL clubs with concerns about their players embarking on the 23,604km round trip to play at America's highest altitude city.

An announcement on the Denver test is expected in the coming days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So!

What's happened to the Australia v New Zealand game in NZ that was meant to be the ONLY match Australia were to play in 2018? Why has it not been announced yet? What is gooooooooing on.

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Denver, Denver, Denver.

Feels like the entire international calendar is waiting for this game to finally be announced.

• Like 1

That's all good (except Id rather NZ play Eng in Denver) but what about Samoa or Fiji who also beat NZ and made the semis. All these players are going to end up back in Aus and NZ if we don't give them games. Its simple yet they act like its so complicated. Play a Pacific Cup at the end of this year with Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and either Australia, PNG or Indigenous been its JTs testimonial year. That's 3 games for all these players who gave up good pay to represent other nations that need them more then NZ/Aus do to make our international game more competitive.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abicus said:

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11998152

On Australia v Tonga:

"The NZRL might not be interested in the Kiwis playing Tonga but the World Champion Kangaroos could face off against the Pacific Island side in Auckland.

Talks are continuing for Tonga to play Australia in an end of year test with Hawaii touted as a possible venue, but there's a chance the match could be held at Mt Smart Stadium.

Auckland is being considered as a venue for the potential clash that could see the likes of former Kiwis-turned-Tongan World Cup heroes Jason Taumalolo, David Fusitu'a, Manu Ma'u and Sio Siua Taukeiaho line up against Kangaroos stars Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis and Boyd Cordner, as organisers and sponsors weigh up where the event could be most successful.

"It's certainly still on the cards," Tonga coach Woolf told the Herald.

"It's no closer to being finalised, there's still a fair bit to go, but it's something that we want to happen and something Australia want to happen and there's a fair bit of interest from companies wanting to at least look into whether it's a viable option and where it will be a viable option.

"And one thing that hasn't been written off is bringing a game like that to New Zealand.

"So there are a number of different possibilities there in terms of where that could be played, Hawaii being just one of those.

"But it's certainly something that a lot of people want to make happen so I'd like to think it's a really good chance for that reason."

On Tonga withdrawal from Pacific Test if NZ become available. 

Tonga is currently scheduled to play Samoa in a Pacific test in Sydney on June 23, but Woolf says the NRL are open to his side withdrawing from the Campbelltown Stadium fixture if New Zealand agrees to host them.

"There is scope for New Zealand to play Tonga on that weekend and in terms of other games as part of a Pacific test, the NRL have made that clear that we could certainly look at manoeuvring around that," said Woolf.

"NZRL were certainly involved in discussions around that before Christmas, so there is the possibility if everyone agreed that that game could still eventuate.

"That all depends on what happens with the England-New Zealand game, but one thing we can't do is hold off on everything else while we wait for one country to decide what they want to be a part of.

"As I've said all along, the big game for me and the one we'd love to be a part of is Tonga-New Zealand in New Zealand.

"But we can't cut off other opportunities to sit and wait for that to come along either, so it's all something that needs to be moved on really quickly.

"If we're going to play Samoa we want that to be a big event and that to be a success.

"We need to be able to put on a professional camp for our players as well and that means we need to get planning ASAP."

The NZRL would not comment on the likelihood of the Denver test going ahead but denied they were aware that the NRL were willing to allow Tonga to pull out of the Pacific test against Samoa.

The Denver test was reportedly close to being finalised earlier this month but the Warriors are among several NRL clubs with concerns about their players embarking on the 23,604km round trip to play at America's highest altitude city.

An announcement on the Denver test is expected in the coming days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So!

What's happened to the Australia v New Zealand game in NZ that was meant to be the ONLY match Australia were to play in 2018? Why has it not been announced yet? What is gooooooooing on.

The NRL is open to switching that around (Tonga ditching Samoa to play NZ). Probably means the NRL is interested in anything that keeps the NRL players from jetting off for NZ for a mid-season test. By scuppering that they would also ground all the England NRL players by definition. Masterstroke.

They want it all, but on their terms the majority of the time. They say they are not flexible (Australia having a rest), then suddenly can become flexible (Australia playing post season tests v NZ/Tonga). Who can work with these guys to plan anything long term?

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The NRL is open to switching that around (Tonga ditching Samoa to play NZ). Probably means the NRL is interested in anything that keeps the NRL players from jetting off for NZ for a mid-season test. By scuppering that they would also ground all the England NRL players by definition. Masterstroke.

They want it all, but on their terms the majority of the time. They say they are not flexible (Australia having a rest), then suddenly can become flexible (Australia playing post season tests v NZ/Tonga). Who can work with these guys to plan anything long term?

yup, tbh it looks like an attempt to thwart the Denver game.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

yup, tbh it looks like an attempt to thwart the Denver game.

Clint Newton and Todd Greenberg on a RLPA moan-a-thon to scupper the Denver game. If they succeed they will then lay some bumps in the road during the season to thwart any Tonga game at the end of the season. I'm sorry, Internationalists don't conduct themselves like that no matter how many times they utter "I'm all for international RL". 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

It would be great if Roos-Tonga went ahead in Hawaii, but Mt Smart makes sense too.

Also, could a Lebanon play Samoa in the Pacific Test instead?

The Tongans could play NZ as a warm-up before the tour to the UK then the Aussies the week after; all on the North Island (Auckland and Hamilton perhaps)... that would be a great international season for them with the Samoans mid-season as well. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, westside said:

It would be great if Roos-Tonga went ahead in Hawaii, but Mt Smart makes sense too.

Also, could a Lebanon play Samoa in the Pacific Test instead?

They are playing PNG. Cook Islands doesn't have a game atm. Maybe you could chuck Italy in there since they are all Australian based as well.

Amateurish doesn't really begin to cover it. 

I have no idea why the RLPA is involved. If a player doesn't want to play international RL they are welcome to retire fro. International rl anytime they want.

A backward shortsighted decision implemented appallingly. RL administration in a nutshell.

• Like 3

On 21/02/2018 at 4:28 AM, scotchy1 said:

I have no idea why the RLPA is involved. If a player doesn't want to play international RL they are welcome to retire fro. International rl anytime they want.

You really have no idea why the players association is getting involved in negotiations about the logistics and insurance details for an (as yet) unsanctioned game set to be played halfway around the world, at an unfamiliar altitude, involving some of its members? 

Just now, ghost crayfish said:

You really have no idea why the players association is getting involved in negotiations about the logistics and insurance details for an (as yet) unsanctioned game set to be played halfway around the world, at an unfamiliar altitude, involving some of its members? 

Unsanctioned by who? The NRL? The only countries who need to sanction this match is the NZRL and the RFL. Australia is NOT playing in this game and it is a BLANK weekend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

The game is sanctioned by the rlif.

The RLPA is or not the representative union of England and NZ internationals.

• Like 1

Maybe they could wait until details are revealed?.. i don't recall such questions being asked before any other international games, prior to their confirmation. When the game gets sign off, those questions can be asked if they haven't already been communicated.

Are we to assume this rumoured potential Aus v Tonga game in Hawaii has had full details of insurance and health care revealed etc etc already?..

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Unsanctioned by who? The NRL? The only countries who need to sanction this match is the NZRL and the RFL. Australia is NOT playing in this game and it is a BLANK weekend.

The RLIF? I dunno. Unsanctioned/unconfirmed, whatever...apologies for a terminology lapse. My main point was, while I hope the game goes ahead, surely it stands to reason that the RLPA would get involved? They're a body representing the interests of the players - it's actually their job to keep organisers in line. If the NZRL and RFL aren't capable of resolving insurance issues, answering basic questions about strategic intent, and confirming travel arrangements etc. then they're useless. I hope they do their jobs properly and make sure the game goes ahead, but I certainly don't blame the RLPA for asking questions...

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Are we to assume this rumoured potential Aus v Tonga game in Hawaii has had full details of insurance and health care revealed etc etc already?..

Well...no. That's why the game is still 'rumoured' and 'potential'.

Just now, ghost crayfish said:

The RLIF? I dunno. Unsanctioned/unconfirmed, whatever...apologies for a terminology lapse. My main point was, while I hope the game goes ahead, surely it stands to reason that the RLPA would get involved? They're a body representing the interests of the players - it's actually their job to keep organisers in line. If the NZRL and RFL aren't capable of resolving insurance issues, answering basic questions about strategic intent, and confirming travel arrangements etc. then they're useless. I hope they do their jobs properly and make sure the game goes ahead, but I certainly don't blame the RLPA for asking questions...

The RLIF is responsible for competitions. The NRL has already sanctioned test football on this blank weekend.

• Like 1

Fair enough. Like I said, my main point is that it seems reasonable to me that the RLPA are asking questions about this. Pretty simple really - it's their job to make sure their members are looked after. It's up to the organisers to have the right answers, so the game gets confirmed. 

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The game is smack bang in the middle of the NRL season and it includes NRL players on NRL contracts, those players have to be released by NRL clubs before they can participate, as such matches like the Denver game need to be run by the NRL and 'sanctioned' by them before it goes ahead...

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The game is sanctioned by the rlif.

The RLPA is or not the representative union of England and NZ internationals.

The RLPA is the representative union of NRL players, the vast majority of NZs players play in the NRL and a good amount of Englands players do as well, in fact most of players in the game will be NRL players, it's the RLPA's job to represent those that players...

Just now, The Great Dane said:

The game is smack bang in the middle of the NRL season and it includes NRL players on NRL contracts, those players have to be released by NRL clubs before they can participate, as such matches like the Denver game need to be run by the NRL and 'sanctioned' by them before it goes ahead...

The RLPA is the representative union of NRL players, the vast majority of NZs players play in the NRL and a good amount of Englands players do as well, in fact most of players in the game will be NRL players, it's the RLPA's job to represent those that players...

You can stall but you cannot stop the test match being sanctioned. The fact that the NRL release players for other tests and also releases players from clubs the week before Origin (thus making them miss a club game) leaves them on pretty flimsy moral ground on this. 

If this goes ahead the NRL will probably leave it to the clubs. Good luck trying to stop Graham, Burgess, Widdop, Johnson and RTS from playing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

And the Denver game is confirmed?.. 

Err. What? No. I imagine these logistical questions are being asked about both proposals. They need to be answered before things are confirmed... that's more or less my point. 

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The RLIF is responsible for competitions. The NRL has already sanctioned test football on this blank weekend.

No they haven't, or if they have they haven't told anyone about it...

The NRL has not sanctioned any games for that weekend that aren't already part of a preexisting representative round, the only official talk of this "international window" and the Denver game has come from the RLIF, the RFL, and maybe the NZRL.

And obviously they haven't "sanctioned" the Denver game cause the RLPA don't think they have, and they can't approve a match including RLPA members without the support of the RLPA.

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

If the RLPA want to be part of a global players union brilliant go ahead and form one and get recognised by the RLIF, I'm very much in favour of it. 

An Australian players union talking to Australian clubs about an international game between NZ and England is of no use or consequence.

• Like 3