Sign in to follow this  
scotchy1

Broadcast Rights - What would we be prepared to do?

A lot of discussion centres around the structure, franchising, P+R etc and how that relates to TV revenue. Obviously it is an important part but its not the only part.

The question I am asking here is, putting the structure debate to one side,  what would we be prepared to do, prepared to change, prepared to sacrifice to make ourselves more attractive to TV companies?

For instance, We changed, ostensibly to Summer Rugby, yet the season starts early February, finishes in October, and takes breaks for the Challenge Cup in April, May, June, July and August. Super League is a summer competition that takes more than a month of Summer off. Would we be prepared to change the Challenge Cup to focus more of our rugby on the summer months?

Another possibility is that of building on some of the successes we have seen over the last few years. Magic Weekend and the Summer bash are both very popular with the Broadcasters. Big events, at one location.Could we be prepared to see double or treble headers at football stadiums during May, June, July to make ourselves more attractive to a broadcaster?

Would we be prepared to see games on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday? Every game televised? Midday kickoffs? More games like Wigan v Hull in Wollongong?

I would add a Sunday evening game, either live or a game in full from the afternoon. If we can ever get another broadcaster to show Super League games then we can have a chance of having every game shown live.

The Challenge Cup interrupts Super League, there is no getting round that. I would move it back and have the final earlier. The last month of the league is about building towards the playoffs and the final gets in the way and disrupts the momentum that is building up over those last few weeks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Expansion...

Getting new names outside the heartlands is more important than almost anything.

An MPG between top (champ) at home and bottom (SL) seems the least convoluted way of sorting P&R and still providing what Sky has been suggested as insisting upon.

Playing the game in 4 quarters giving more advertising space is still something that would attract TV money.

But we don't necessarily have to give up anything we have a brilliant product that attracts audience numbers and the advertising around it would suggest how strong that is.

The package has to include certain things like a magazine programme, some free to air time and a new look about it all.

I would never agree to a lessening of the amount paid because as the Doc pointed out Sky got it on the cheap in the first place.

In all this TGG has moved on and it's Sky who have stood still and even seem to be moving backwards.

And I will say again sending in a strong negotiating team to any discussions with Sky and any other organisation is essential. The question is do we have one?

I would like to see a televised weekend game once the soccer season finishes. If we could get Tolouse into SL we could have games on Thurs, Fri, French Game on Sat evening then another UK based game on Sat lunchtime or Sun. Add a  Toronto Sat night game we could have SL all weekend. Include NRL then there would be scope for a RL channel on SKY.

Edited by Mattrhino
  • Like 1

Doesn't Toronto play its home games on a Sunday?

If so we could get them playing at 3 pm Toronto time for an 8 pm telecast in the UK. And once we get a second north American team into Super League  -- hopefully New York -- we could arrange home games so that there was always a Sunday night game on Sky.

If Toulouse was in SL we could have a French game every Saturday night and a north American home game game every Sunday night. That should guarantee the RFL a better, more lucrative TV contract with Sky.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 1

Just going off days of televised games I’d bin Thursdays off unless Sky were paying over the odds for the games. I’d have a Friday night game a Sunday teatime game (straight after the second super Sunday game so 6ish) and a Monday night game. With Catalans games still on alternate Saturday teatimes possibly alternating with either Toronto or Toulouse home games if either got to SL. The only other kick off time I’d go with if Sky wanted more games would be Saturday either 12 or 3 I’m not sure which one I’d prefare. 

The cup should go back to a May Final and move Magic if needed. Cup then is the early season silverware done before round 10 or so.

Otherwise, it's about making the game better and tbh alot of the packaging is down to sky...they have the cheap title sequence and poor camera work. For the rights to be worth more there has to be alot of competition for them....so in essence a bigger fan Base... Which is probably only going to grow with FTA casts so giving some cheap content to BBC, ITV, C4 FOR national exposure that's the way to go as that way the next generation of fans is produced.

And finally internationals more of em and England to play regular series with Oz as this will engage the general sporting public who will see this as part of what English sports do...even the telegraph covered the RLWC Final.. 

Splitting the game into quarters ought to be considered.

1. We saw from the Hull v St George game that it does not drastically spoil the flow of the game

2. It will lessen fatigue that may lead to closer scores

3. The lesser fatigue may lead to more emphasis on skill to break down defences

4. It would be very beneficial to overseas markets that may be used to showing adverts during whatever sport they televise

• Like 2

Thursday and Friday night's, Saturday and Sunday Lunchtimes, even Monday, Tuesday Wednesday's with mid day kick offs have been suggested, all very fine and well for those who never venture away from their favourite armchair, I actually like to see my Rugby League in the Raw, it's a wonderful sport more people should give it a go!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

The cup should go back to a May Final and move Magic if needed. Cup then is the early season silverware done before round 10 or so.

Otherwise, it's about making the game better and tbh alot of the packaging is down to sky...they have the cheap title sequence and poor camera work. For the rights to be worth more there has to be alot of competition for them....so in essence a bigger fan Base... Which is probably only going to grow with FTA casts so giving some cheap content to BBC, ITV, C4 FOR national exposure that's the way to go as that way the next generation of fans is produced.

And finally internationals more of em and England to play regular series with Oz as this will engage the general sporting public who will see this as part of what English sports do...even the telegraph covered the RLWC Final.. 

Cup going to May is a none starter - the early rounds are already out of season for the amatuer clubs, to accomdate a May final you'd be expecting them to be playing in November/December which is unrealistic

Sky  could show games Friday evening also Saturday evening Catalans and Sunday 6pm

also look to selling the rights to itv/bbc  for a Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon 2:30-3pm on live... 

As usual we are getting some pie in the sky answers of "Show loads of games live on terrestrial" and some such which, realistically, isn't going to happen any time soon. More crucially for this topic, it wasn't quite what was asked. That's all stuff we want for the game that would undoubtedly improve our standing but that would be the broadcasters making concessions to us, not the other way round, which was the question that was posed. Yes, of course we want more adverts, but I don't think the game has to change in any way for that to happen. 

The Challenge Cup moving in the schedule as mentioned above is probably the most relevant example that we know is currently being discussed. The RFL currently seem to like the cup where it is in the calendar but as revealed on this week’s BBC 5 Live RL podcast, the BBC are very keen to move it, so at some point there is going to have to be some compromise somewhere especially considering any move will have impact across amateur teams etc. We know the CC schedule, especially once the SL clubs enter, loses momentum pretty sharpish and currently it serves neither the BBC or the game as well as it could. To play devil's advocate, perhaps moving the cup final to May at the risk of putting pressure on amateur may be one of the compromises we have to make? 

Edited by Amber Avenger

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

And I will say again sending in a strong negotiating team to any discussions with Sky and any other organisation is essential. The question is do we have one?

The other very pertinent question Mr Oxford is do we actually have anything to negotiate with, not being one who ever takes the defeatist attitude but it would not take Cheif Exec of Morgan Stanley to delve into the finances of the majority of our SL clubs and realise that beggars can't be choosers, if in any discussions it came to a "take it or leave it" scenario which way do you think our clubs would lean?

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Splitting the game into quarters ought to be considered.

1. We saw from the Hull v St George game that it does not drastically spoil the flow of the game

2. It will lessen fatigue that may lead to closer scores

3. The lesser fatigue may lead to more emphasis on skill to break down defences

4. It would be very beneficial to overseas markets that may be used to showing adverts during whatever sport they televise

I actually agree that this should be explored. In an idea world no, but this is the world of TV and fan experience. Quarters would allow extra time at concessions, sponsors announcements as well as TV advertising. The break only needs to be short in between but it would be beneficial. Remember, we are hoping that the game in 20 years time will have as many new fans watching as there are existing fans. It is all about the game day experience now. 

Edited by Scubby

The days of the week thing is an important one.

I think we may underestimate the impact of Thursday nights for example, however we are in a position where if somebody is prepared to pay us enough, we should be as flexible as we can.

We often dismiss critics of Thursday games, comparing to football who do well, but I'm not sure that is the whole story for a few reasons:

1 - RL has for most of the last 25 years been a weekend game - we went to 1 game a week and worked on our family supporter base, we got rid of the culture of matches on school nights (apart from Friday's which is better for keeping kids up late).

2 - RL never fills it's grounds. Our demand is not at the level of football where many PL clubs could fill their ground twice over. I often benefit from Champions League tickets through a partner at work, and tbh, they are often empty and easy to get hold of in a midweek. We see fewer fans in grounds for Thursday games. I worked out once that it could be as much as a 30% reduction. We need to decide if we are comfortable with that.

3 - We are at risk of some fans never attending a daytime weekend game. That may be fine for many, but a family day out is hard to come by if all games are on a Thursday or Friday night (or even Monday if we went down that route) - the likes of football still has weekend day games as well as night games, in fact some of their key slots are daytime (Sat lunch, Sat Dinner, Sun Lunch, Sun late aft). We need to consider whether this is having an impact and whether we even care about that. Playing in summer does help.

It would be great if we could be a bit more structured around our approach to fixtures, I'd be a fan of every game live I think, and the slots I would go with are Thurs 7.45pm, Fri 7.45pm, Sat 2pm, Sat 5pm, Sun 12pm, Sun 6pm.

That still leaves Sunday 3pm free for all other games. If we went only with 3, 4 or 5 live games then I would look to get rid of Thursday, but Sky seem to like that one.

Thursday and Friday night games are OK if they are kept within their own county, but traversing the M62 in either direction for a 7:45pm kick off is not good, especially if you are working. Perhaps I am out of order suggesting that, it seems that 'live' stadium attendances are not given any consideration on these pages, I strongly feel people are looking at the best time(s) to suit their individual needs in front of the box, not as they are leading us to believe it is really the game they care about.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The days of the week thing is an important one.

I think we may underestimate the impact of Thursday nights for example, however we are in a position where if somebody is prepared to pay us enough, we should be as flexible as we can.

We often dismiss critics of Thursday games, comparing to football who do well, but I'm not sure that is the whole story for a few reasons:

1 - RL has for most of the last 25 years been a weekend game - we went to 1 game a week and worked on our family supporter base, we got rid of the culture of matches on school nights (apart from Friday's which is better for keeping kids up late).

2 - RL never fills it's grounds. Our demand is not at the level of football where many PL clubs could fill their ground twice over. I often benefit from Champions League tickets through a partner at work, and tbh, they are often empty and easy to get hold of in a midweek. We see fewer fans in grounds for Thursday games. I worked out once that it could be as much as a 30% reduction. We need to decide if we are comfortable with that.

3 - We are at risk of some fans never attending a daytime weekend game. That may be fine for many, but a family day out is hard to come by if all games are on a Thursday or Friday night (or even Monday if we went down that route) - the likes of football still has weekend day games as well as night games, in fact some of their key slots are daytime (Sat lunch, Sat Dinner, Sun Lunch, Sun late aft). We need to consider whether this is having an impact and whether we even care about that. Playing in summer does help.

It would be great if we could be a bit more structured around our approach to fixtures, I'd be a fan of every game live I think, and the slots I would go with are Thurs 7.45pm, Fri 7.45pm, Sat 2pm, Sat 5pm, Sun 12pm, Sun 6pm.

That still leaves Sunday 3pm free for all other games. If we went only with 3, 4 or 5 live games then I would look to get rid of Thursday, but Sky seem to like that one.

At Leeds we are lucky to get more than one home game a year on a weekend and it is fantastic the amount of kids and families that are there. It amazes me every year why we don't have more.

I suppose we sell more ale during a Friday night game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thursday and Friday night games are OK if they are kept within their own county, but traversing the M62 in either direction for a 7:45pm kick off is not good, especially if you are working. Perhaps I am out of order suggesting that, it seems that 'live' stadium attendances are not given any consideration on these pages, I strongly feel people are looking at the best time(s) to suit their individual needs in front of the box, not as they are leading us to believe it is really the game they care about.

That is a very RL mindset. Away fans in soccer can travel hundreds of miles to get to an away game on a Tuesday night yet RL fans complain about having to travel more than 20 miles.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

That is a very RL mindset. Away fans in soccer can travel hundreds of miles to get to an away game on a Tuesday night yet RL fans complain about having to travel more than 20 miles.

Do you travel the M62 between 5 and 7pm Matt by any chance, and I did comply with "if you are working" I owned a factory in your fair city, which I sold in 2011, it was a nightmare getting back to Leigh when I stayed till finishing time, and that was 7 years ago, it has not improved with time.

P.S. I will still maintain most who are writing on here will go no further that the kitchen to the living room.

Edited by Harry Stottle

I think it might be more realistic to aim for an overall "Sky Sports Rugby" channel than a dedicated Rugby League channel, purely on amounts of content. Might also secure some floating voters.

22 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

But this goes back to my previous posts that you quoted. Man Utd may be able to take 3k fans down to London midweek, but that will be out of a potential fanbase of 120k people who go to live Man Utd matches a year. 

That would be comparable to Wigan taking 4-500 to Hull on a Thursday.

Our numbers are much smaller and struggle to take as much of a hit. It is also not unusual to see large sections of empty seats at soccer in midweek, particularly in away section.

19 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Believe me, this is an issue in football too. Teams with big support will usually sell out away anyway but most football league teams take a massively reduced following for midweek games.

Apparently the football league take the opposite view that having the more distant games played midweek means that while significantly fewer away fans will travel midweek, more will travel locally on Saturdays. I suppose it depends on your circumstances. I don't know if this is taken into consideration in rugby fixtures.

• Like 1