Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

League 1 to turn amateur? Clubs set to discuss possible de-regulation of League 1

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think most if not all. Granted it wouldn’t be anywhere near the £1.8m they are paying now but it would be full time in the same way some championship clubs can stay full time. Football and rugby aren’t like for like of course but let’s not pretend that PL clubs would take the loss of TV funding in their stride. Like us they earn much more money from the TV deal than they do from paying speccies. 

That depends what you mean by full time. I’m sure you could assemble a squad of players willing to play for £20,000/£25,000  a year on average but I doubt it would have much quality about it. 

One of the biggest issues League One has had since the latest incarnation of it, is no one has ever defined what the purpose of this league is.

Is it just the third division of Rugby League in the UK? Is it an Expansion League? A Development League? A dot making exercise?

Honestly, it very much comes across as a bit of all of the above, which is part of the problem and why moves to make it more amateur or professional are flawed.

Rugby League would be silly to push a Bradford, York or even a Newcastle (who have a solid backer, good ground and semi-regularly draw crowds over 1K) out of their professional structures.

These are clubs, which for everything bar on field performance, are stronger than a number of clubs above them.

There are plenty of other clubs in the competition as well who you can argue, bring value, to the competition and to the code.

But whether the sport should continue to invest in them the same way as they currently are, I guess is dependent on what the point of this league is?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

There are plenty of other clubs in the competition as well who you can argue, bring value, to the competition and to the code.

Exactly when making an assessment of a clubs attributes what do you deam as important for future success?

Keighley has been mentioned earlier on this thread , to use them as an example. 

They own their home ground which gives them other  revenue streams, they have been probably the most prolific club in the division , (bar the Bulls ) in developing their own players through the junior and then reserve team set up , community involvement including a womens and wheelchair teams , 

Barrow now going great guns in the Championship are in a similar position .

Both clubs have shown that with success onfield they can produce solid attendance figures 

Match that against several other clubs in the current Championship  (and apologies to followers of ) Sheffield , Swinton and Hornets ..how do you compare?

• Like 4

.Absolutely insane idea. Unfortunately an inevitable side effect of handing power to the super league chairmen. This is the most flatcapperish suggestion imaginable.

The game will die outside the heartlands. No doubt some will be delighted that We're back on a path to be a tiny parochial non-sport.

There was so much to be hopeful about until I read this.

Championship One will be be the strongest it has ever been .A lot of Teams have made quality signings . In many ways it will be the most interesting and keenly contested of Leagues .To suggest downgrading it at this particular time makes no sense ,this is the year this League will take off.

On 24/02/2018 at 10:00 PM, deluded pom? said:

That depends what you mean by full time. I’m sure you could assemble a squad of players willing to play for £20,000/£25,000  a year on average but I doubt it would have much quality about it. 

Example to prove this: Sheffield Eagles when they went full-time.

• Thanks 2

As you would read in LE the topic was never discussed because no proposals have been put forward. This is a typical propaganda stunt favoured by some SL chairmen to create a destabilising controversy then say "nothing to do with me, but whilst you're talking about it, what an interesting idea".

• Like 2

Lenaghan mentioned prominently in this brainstorming. He seems to be promoting a pull the drawbridge on SL bye to the rest idea 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Lenaghan mentioned prominently in this brainstorming. He seems to be promoting a pull the drawbridge on SL bye to the rest idea 

Sounds like a nice man.

• Like 1

I'm all for expansion but you have to question why the likes of Hemel receive £70,000 a year from the RFL.

On the field they're a shambles and have been for four seasons now. They train up in Sheffield and catch a bus down on match days. Their average crowds are sometimes less than 100.

People give Hemel plaudits for owning their own ground but what good is that when the club is run in such a shambolic fashion? 

What is the point in Hemel? They're contributing nothing at all to the game. 

Compare that to Newcastle who are the shining light of how a club should be run. A fantastic under 16s and under 18s and a first team that will have a really good shot at promotion this year. 

The likes of Newcastle and York should get Hemel's money. Think what another £70,000 could do to help them push on. 

Edited by Moscow01
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

I'm all for expansion but you have to question why the likes of Hemel receive £70,000 a year from the RFL.

On the field they're a shambles and have been for four seasons now. They train up in Sheffield and catch a bus down on match days. Their average crowds are sometimes less than 100.

People give Hemel plaudits for owning their own ground but what good is that when the club is run in such a shambolic fashion? 

Compare that to Newcastle who are the shining light of how a club should be run. A fantastic under 16s and under 18s and a first team that will have a really good shot at promotion this year. 

The likes of Newcastle and York should get Hemel's money. Think what another £70,000 could do to help them push on. 

How many clubs in that League would you say what is the point on though? Hemel should have to justify their place and remember Bristol (All Golds/Oxford) have been promised a place in 2019 which they are working towards. That League is as strong as it has been for a number of years. Both for clubs expanding the game and some famous old names dusting themselves down and regrouping.

At this point, not sure if there is anybody left who is mopping up what you're putting down.

While I wouldn't want to single out individual clubs it's essential that any funding is tied to community work and junior/academy set ups. It seems unfair that all clubs receive the same regardless. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

How many clubs in that League would you say what is the point on though? Hemel should have to justify their place and remember Bristol (All Golds/Oxford) have been promised a place in 2019 which they are working towards. That League is as strong as it has been for a number of years. Both for clubs expanding the game and some famous old names dusting themselves down and regrouping.

As I've said many times, good will only goes so far for teams that are incompetent, incapable of running themselves properly and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Like all of RL L1 isn’t perfect but one thing is certain it needs stability. It absolutely has a place but as someone above says we need a clear and stable  vision of the leagues purpose. With the exception of Hemel I can see the point of every club in the league from the Cumbrian ones down to London and West Wales. It’s utter madness to throw a way a third of our league structure and the only truly national league.

The worse thing will be for this to drag on. I get the impression from Skolars owner that this has some way to go.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 2:02 PM, Moscow01 said:

I would think travel costs alone,during the season,would take a fair chunk of that money.

It doesn't leave much cash for anything else.

It may seem shambolic to some,but I don't see anything else in Britain surviving without funds.

It certainly won't pay for development officers,coaches,school programmes,marketing etc.

Comparing them with Newcastle Thunder - who have had a season in Super League,struggled,been liquidated and then struck lucky with a nearby Union club taking on the old Gateshead Thunder,is hugely unfair.

Think what another 70k could do for Hemel...

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, OriginalMrC said:

While I wouldn't want to single out individual clubs it's essential that any funding is tied to community work and junior/academy set ups. It seems unfair that all clubs receive the same regardless. 

Do all SL teams have to meet this criteria too? If so a couple are lacking at U19s. Maybe we should dock their funding or even kick them out of the SL and make them amateur.

30 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Comparing them with Newcastle Thunder - who have had a season in Super League,struggled,been liquidated and then struck lucky with a nearby Union club taking on the old Gateshead Thunder,is hugely unfair.

Ooh, I like this idea - means testing. Most money given to those with the least money.

38 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I would think travel costs alone,during the season,would take a fair chunk of that money.

It doesn't leave much cash for anything else.

It may seem shambolic to some,but I don't see anything else in Britain surviving without funds.

It certainly won't pay for development officers,coaches,school programmes,marketing etc.

I'd rather give them 70k and take them out of the national league structure.  The 'pro' side of the club and the 'pro' team don't seem to be going anywhere.  Let them be an amateur club (which they seem to be very good at) and fund that on the basis that they are a strong amateur club.  They don't seem to me to have a vision or direction as a pro club so what's the point in this funding from the RFL going into travel all over the UK and into paying players?

Sport is a business.

Failing businesses are wound up by creditors when things aren't going well.

Why on earth should the RFL give clubs - who are adding nothing whatsoever to the sport-  £70,000 per annum?

How can amateur teams like Siddal run a dozen junior teams yet a team in League 1, that gets 70 grand a year from the RFL, not even run a single junior team?

It's high time the RFL showed a spine and told these teams that they need to sort themselves out or they'll be cut from the league.

It's not just Hemel I'm on about either.  Rochdale for example - it seems every season they are asking supporters to give them money so they can survive. How long can this keep going on? 

Of course Rochdale are a historic team. But those days are gone forever. Unless a millionaire comes in and takes them over they are finished.

12 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Sport is a business.

Why on earth should the RFL give clubs - who are adding nothing whatsoever to the sport-  £70,000 per annum?

How can amateur teams like Siddal run a dozen junior teams yet a team in League 1, that gets 70 grand a year from the RFL, not even run a single junior team?

It's high time the RFL showed a spine and told these teams that they need to sort themselves out or they'll be cut from the league.

It's not just Hemel I'm on about either.  Rochdale for example - it seems every season they are asking supporters to give them money so they can survive. How long can this keep going on? 

Of course Rochdale are a historic team. But those days are gone forever. Unless a millionaire comes in and takes them over they are finished.

Genuine question. Are Hemel a failed business if they are operating a semi-professional side and a host of junior clubs, are solvent and live within their means? Their only problem is they struggle to be regularly competitive on the field in L1. Prudently they are not prepared to put themselves into debt to challenge for the Championship. Is that a pre-requisite for the business?

If Hemel lost 150k a season and were in the top half of League 1 would that make them a successful business or a failed one? Are clubs losing money hand over fist but being competitive any better than Hemel? That goes right through to SL? I suppose anyone can be in debt and have shiny things. Some of them are in debt, have no junior or community set ups and still paying players and staff more than they can afford in order to be competitive.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Sport is a business.

You don't need a millionaire to survive in RL. It's certainly true to say you need a millionaire (maybe even multi) to be a top SL club though.

Bradford have no millionaire at the helm and, despite the club's best efforts to fall into oblivion, are still hanging in, complete with a full junior and academy set up. Nil desperandum.

Edited by Bulliac

Lets look at things both on and off the pitch.

On the pitch - a squad of journeymen who train 200 miles from where they play. Humiliated 74-0 on the weekend and no doubt will be hammered every single time they play a half-decent side. 

Off the pitch - almost no social media output whatsoever. Their website hasn't been updated since last week, no match preview for the Newcastle game never mind a match report.

I went to a Hemel game in July of last year. Pitch was a total disgrace - grass had been cut but no one had bothered to collect it off the playing surface. 50 people in attendance. It was an embarrassment.

So tell me, what is the point of the RFL giving them 70 grand a year? 

• Like 1