Sign in to follow this  
B rad

Western Bears NRL side

Perth is a must for NRL expansion. Makes sense with no Force there. It will be tough to get players to move from Sydney to play out there, but there is local talent and Perth Is a big City that could potentially break even or run at a small loss on a NRL team. 

Edited by Southerner80

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

250,000 bears fans??? 

Yep. The break down is 

20,000 North Sydney Bears

1,000 Huggy Bear

229,000 Bear Grylls 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yep. The break down is 

1,000 Huggy Bear

229,000 Bear Grylls 

Maybe they got their wires crossed and are thinking of a different kind of bear 😉

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Maybe they got their wires crossed and are thinking of a different kind of bear 😉

Yep stretching the 'struth' a bit. Although a relocation to Perth for a famous old club like that is not a bad thing IMO. It means that there are lots of potential old boys and administrators catching the ear of the Sydney-centric organisation that is the NRL.

Edited by Scubby

Just now, Scubby said:

Yep stretching the struth a bit. Although a relocation to Perth for a famous old club like that is not a bad thing IMO. It means that there are lots of potential old boys and administrators catching the ear of the Sydney-centric organisation.

I’m not so sure. I’ve read plenty of comments on the LU forum and a lot of Perth based RL fans would prefer their own new club like the pirates rather than an already established team that’s relocating to the city. Apparently that’s why the locals on the central coast never really got behind the northern Eagles.

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

I’m not so sure. I’ve read plenty of comments on the LU forum and a lot of Perth based RL fans would prefer their own new club like the pirates rather than an already established team that’s relocating to the city. Apparently that’s why the locals on the central coast never really got behind the northern Eagles.

Yep fair point. My view was that Todd Greenberg often will not listen to anything that isn't within cycling distance of NRL HQ. Perth NRL potential franchise has been falling of deaf ears for a decade. It is a slight on the sport over there that they have failed to grow at all on over a decade.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yep fair point. My view was that Todd Greenberg often will not listen to anything that isn't within cycling distance of NRL HQ. Perth NRL potential franchise has been falling of deaf ears for a decade. It is a slight on the sport over there that they have failed to grow at all on over a decade.

Looking back Perth should have been given a franchise instead of the titans.

38 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Looking back further, they shouldn't have been culled back in the mid 90's. Neither should the Crushers. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lewis said:

Looking back further, they shouldn't have been culled back in the mid 90's. Neither should the Crushers. Just my opinion. 

I agree 100%. Same goes for the rams. All 3 posted good average crowds. Especially compared with the NRL clubs of today.

I did used to love seeing that bears strip and logo . Blast from the past 

Maybe Perth & Adelaide

• Like 1

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Instead of one of the 11 NSW clubs maybe, that market is way too flooded. 

I’d rather a new team in Perth over yet another Bears attempt to get back into to NRL.

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yep. The break down is 

1,000 Huggy Bear

229,000 Bear Grylls 

Bear behind fans get ignored again.

It all seems pointless.

The Bears should remain as Souths' feeder club and, in hope rather than expectation, we'd see Perth come in as their own entity.

Having visited Perth late last year, seen the facilities, the support for expansion, and spoken to locals who long for it, I can tell you it is a perfect fit.

It won't happen though because of the selfishness of decision makers. Only a 3 and a hour flight to Sydney as well; seeing as though the Roosters only have to travel 10 thousand kms this year, I'd like to see it.

Edited by HKR AWAY DAYS

12 hours ago, Lewis said:

12 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

I agree 100%. Same goes for the rams. All 3 posted good average crowds. Especially compared with the NRL clubs of today.

I don't want to go into a long history lesson but the Reds and the Crushers weren't really culled, they went broke and folded.

And crowds had nothing to do with any of the teams survival or death, which is usually the case when it comes to crowds, though people hyper focus on them they really don't mean much anymore, but I digress. All the teams that died during the SL war either died cause of a lack of funding and/or corporate support (such as the above mentioned clubs) or as sacrifices to save the games 'traditions and traditional clubs'.

Again I don't want to go into another long history lesson but because of the politics of the time it's very unlikely that either the Reds or Crushers would still be around today had they survived 97, both were flat broke, both had lost their corporate backing, and neither had a realistic chance of receiving backing from either the ARL or News to continue in the comp (in fact both had had that backing withdrawn by either or both parties), the only way that either of the clubs makes it past 2000 is if a white knight rolled in and completely covered their costs for a few years (like the NZ Warriors coincidentally).

Adelaide on the other hand were one of only two clubs from the time to be wrapped up with money in the bank (the other was the Chargers), and looked like they might have a bright future ahead of them.

13 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Perth didn't bid in that round of expansion, nor would any of the Perth bids be anywhere near ready to bid until a few years later in 09.

Wellington Orca and the Central Coast Bears were the only other viable bids at the time, there were a few other bids, some from Brisbane that the NRL couldn't let join because of an agreement with the Broncos that they'd be the only NRL club in Brisbane, one from PNG, and a few others that had no hope as well.

In a perfect world one of the Brisbane bids would have been given the nod but that couldn't happen, and out of what was left it was really only between Wellington and the GC cause the NRL didn't need another NSW club running around, and realistically the GC had the better bid and all was going pretty well for them until they had some financal problems that came as knock on effects from the global financial crisis. 

58 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

It all seems pointless.

The Bears should remain as Souths' feeder club and, in hope rather than expectation, we'd see Perth come in as their own entity.

Having visited Perth late last year, seen the facilities, the support for expansion, and spoken to locals who long for it, I can tell you it is a perfect fit.

It won't happen though because of the selfishness of decision makers. Only a 3 and a hour flight to Sydney as well; seeing as though the Roosters only have to travel 10 thousand kms this year, I'd like to see it.

In all fairness, would you feel the same if you had changed that situation from Norths being Souths' feeder club and being replaced by Perth to Hull KR being Hull FC's feeder club and being replaced by Toronto/Toulouse?

I'm not saying I want Norths back in the NRL, but I can see their issue.

34 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

In all fairness, would you feel the same if you had changed that situation from Norths being Souths' feeder club and being replaced by Perth to Hull KR being Hull FC's feeder club and being replaced by Toronto/Toulouse?

I'm not saying I want Norths back in the NRL, but I can see their issue.

I don't see Perth 'replacing' Norths as the initial decision to punt Norths was made a long time ago and the game has moved on a lot since then.

Perth offers opportunities away from Sydney, which is always a positive.

My mate is a Norths fan from birth and says it is now water under the bridge as far as they're re-inclusion goes.

Relocating does not preseve the club just the name. Players, ground & supporters will be different. A new club makes more sense. Probably wary after what happened to western force ru team though! Just kicked out to downsize as too far from eastern clubs/franchises. Hate the term franchise when in sport. 

3 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

There're only 10 NSW clubs in the NRL...

Fair enough, Canberra raiders juniors better start playing for the ACT then when it comes to rep football. 

Edited by B rad