Sign in to follow this  
Bullish Giant Rhino

Second Canadian Team

I know we've heard a lot about New York recently. But Eric Perez said a year or so back that he wanted a second Canadian team in League 1 in 2019. Clearly the ongoing debate about the structure of the leagues won't help, but where is this new team?

I've seen no news whatsoever and after all, this North American dream is as much Eric Perez as it will ever be anybody's! 

27 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

I know we've heard a lot about New York recently. But Eric Perez said a year or so back that he wanted a second Canadian team in League 1 in 2019. Clearly the ongoing debate about the structure of the leagues won't help, but where is this new team?

I've seen no news whatsoever and after all, this North American dream is as much Eric Perez as it will ever be anybody's! 

It's Hamilton and its one of the bids that the RFL are reviewing. He was also consulted on the New York bid and is involved in the Boston one as well. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It's Hamilton and its one of the bids that the RFL are reviewing. He was also consulted on the New York bid and is involved in the Boston one as well. 

Do you know any details about the bid? It's all gone very quiet. Not saying that's a bad thing (perhaps to the contrary) but some details would be nice. 

12 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Disappointed it's not Montreal 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Do you know any details about the bid? It's all gone very quiet. Not saying that's a bad thing (perhaps to the contrary) but some details would be nice. 

Nope.

Details are privy to the RFL and bidders until a decisions is made. New York released all the information themselves to get media attention while Perez and another bidder did everything in the background.

All we know is that Rimmer confirmed that New York, Hamilton, Boston and fourth bid were received, guessing the fourth didn't want to be named unless they get accepted? Or Rimmer forgot the name of the city.

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Ya, me too. Or even Halifax, NS.

I even live fairly close to Hamilton, but still, I don't know why we need another team with such close proximity to Toronto at this point.

Just now, Krzzystuff said:

Nope.

Details are privy to the RFL and bidders until a decisions is made. New York released all the information themselves to get media attention while Perez and another bidder did everything in the background.

All we know is that Rimmer confirmed that New York, Hamilton, Boston and fourth bid were received, guessing the fourth didn't want to be named unless they get accepted? Or Rimmer forgot the name of the city.

Probably the latter ;) 

In all seriousness, whilst I recognise that NY released all the details themselves, no one seems to mentioning the second Canadian team as part of the structuring debate. I'm starting to wonder if they've lost some traction against NY? 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Yeah but i'll trust that they did the due diligence and that Montreal wasn't a viable option at the moment.

Looks like its going to be a big shakeup year or two in RL at the moment so i wonder if any of the bids will pull out depending on what decisions are made?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Probably the latter ;) 

In all seriousness, whilst I recognise that NY released all the details themselves, no one seems to mentioning the second Canadian team as part of the structuring debate. I'm starting to wonder if they've lost some traction against NY? 

NY is a better idea, the city is bigger, it will grab more attention and be a real sign of intent. They just need to make sure that the details work out which they seem to be taking seriously. As much as i would love more teams in Canada if the NY team can be successful it will have a much bigger impact on the game than Hamilton or even Montreal would have on a global scale. Money is needed for the game and NY would be more attractive to sponsors.

Edited by Krzzystuff

3 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

NY is a better idea, the city is bigger, it will grab more attention and be a real sign of intent. They just need to make sure that the details work out which they seem to be taking seriously. As much as i would love more teams in Canada if the NY team can be successful it will have a much bigger impact on the game than Hamilton or even Montreal would have on a global scale. Money is needed for the game and NY would be more attractive to sponsors.

Probably right. And I like the NY model because they will actually be based there. Gives much more opportunity to promote the game and access the players. Also quite an easy sell to high-profile players looking for something different.

Just need to make sure, as with Toronto, that the investment is there and the backers are in it for the long term. 

20 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

It's another case of the easy option being taken in attempts to expand the game.  Montréal being a predominantly French-speaking city, a team would need to appeal to the city's francophones to succeed there, and that would require that it have a visage français complete with officials and players who can give interviews in French to La Presse, Le Journal de Montréal, Radio-Canada, TVA, Reseau des Sports, and so on.  That's much less easy, so they took an easier option even though that easier option won't put the game on the map here in remotely the same way.

I’m all for the Hamilton franchise as long as they team up with the wildcats.

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's another case of the easy option being taken in attempts to expand the game.  Montréal being a predominantly French-speaking city, a team would need to appeal to the city's francophones to succeed there, and that would require that it have a visage français complete with officials and players who can give interviews in French to La Presse, Le Journal de Montréal, Radio-Canada, TVA, Reseau des Sports, and so on.  That's much less easy, so they took an easier option even though that easier option won't put the game on the map here in remotely the same way.

I would never accuse Eric Perez of taking the 'easy option'

2 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Well he took the direct route to wind up Leigh and its fans.

18 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

For the reasons which I stated, Hamilton is an easy option in comparison to Montréal.

1 hour ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Probably right. And I like the NY model because they will actually be based there. 

They’ll probably be based in New Jersey.

4 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

True, but at least it's in America and not Manchester or Brighouse. And they could still train in NY?

I would have thought it would be a similar set up to TWP with the mostly British players having a base in northern England.

• Thanks 1

My prediction: NY/NJ will be accepted straight to Championship in 2019, Boston the same in 2020 and Hamilton not before 2021 most likely 2023 and only if the others NA adventures succeed.

The most viable option in Canada remains Vancouver. Long travel I know, but still. Then a joint Ottawa-Montreal team and then maybe Hamilton but only if TWP and Hamilton take some games to other places.

11 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I would have thought it would be a similar set up to TWP with the mostly British players having a base in northern England.

The founders of NY have been clear in saying that they would be based in the US

Ttal Carp. If there was another North American  side due, they would be pinching the rest of the 2nd rate players, Also, where would it be? SanDiego, closer to Aus than UK. New York?  Already drenched with sports teams, 3 NHL, 2 NFL 3 MLB, 2 MLS, do you want an Australian based Vancouver Team?

1 minute ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

The founders of NY have been clear in saying that they would be based in the US

OOH, I forgot about the NBA x2/3 also all the other Metropolitan / New England stuff, NY Zombies would be their name, because that's how their 3000 capacity stadium would look.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

OOH, I forgot about the NBA x2/3 also all the other Metropolitan / New England stuff, NY Zombies would be their name, because that's how their 3000 capacity stadium would look.

Would rather have 3,000 zombies in New York than Salford 

They are all Zombies in M5