Sign in to follow this  
Bullish Giant Rhino

Second Canadian Team

10 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Out of interest were are Toronto going to house 30 players and possibly family members for the second half of this season,it could help us understand this situation a bit more ?

I believe several of the families will be spending the entire summer vacation over in Toronto, but going back when schools starts (if they have kids).

23 minutes ago, ojx said:

I believe several of the families will be spending the entire summer vacation over in Toronto, but going back when schools starts (if they have kids).

Great experience for the families for 6 weeks then.

As i say the only reason i ask the question is to try to understand the probable problems a NY franchise might come across.

How are Toronto housing these players/families for the second half of the season. Hotel ?

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The idea that they have to find millions of dollars of property in a foreign market is an absurd exaggeration. 

Except it's not, because they would. Either Wilby's Russian oligarch buys houses for everyone, which would be an outlay of millions of dollars, or they tell the players to do it themselves, which would be incongruous with how professional RL and pro sport as a whole operates. Neither are routine options that can just be dismissed in the way you seem happy to do, and neither are things that have any relevance to existing clubs where the vast majority of players and staff are already locally based.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Thats no different the hundreds of Antipodean players who currently play in SL, or the hundreds of kiwis, brits and pac islanders who play in Australia.  

This is an issue the game has experience literally thousands of times, its really not that much of a problem.

Yes except SL clubs do not just sign Antipodean players and then give them the number for a travel agent, and they also do not sign 30 Antipodean players at once, not sure what part of that you're failing to grasp. If there was an existing setup in New York it wouldn't be a big issue to get a couple of players over there. The fact that literally everyone involved would need to permanently move there simultaneously is a problem if they don't have any sort of infrastructure or plan in place to facilitate that.

Edited by Evil Homer

29 minutes ago, jpmc said:

As i say the only reason i ask the question is to try to understand the probable problems a NY franchise might come across.

How are Toronto housing these players/families for the second half of the season. Hotel ?

They are coming up to my place....everyones welcome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kayakman said:

They are coming up to my place....everyones welcome.

Hope its not you that led |FFMM astray

1 minute ago, jpmc said:

Hope its not you that led |FFMM astray

I'm a good Catholic boy and would never do anything like that.

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm a good Catholic boy and would never do anything like that.

Im glad you feel comfortable saying your a good Catholic,you might get hanged over here.

Back to the point ,in order to help scotchy and evil homer with therec chat about a potential New York franchise how are toronto going to house 30 players for the second half of this season ?

49 minutes ago, jpmc said:

I believe they stay at the on campus residences of this college:

https://www.georgebrown.ca/waterfront/

They are housed in a two bedroom suite, usually with  another player (one in each bedroom). If their families are visiting, they get the entire suite. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me.  

It is in a great location on the waterfront with tons going on in the summer.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

1.Except it's not, because they would. Either Wilby's Russian oligarch buys houses for everyone, which would be an outlay of millions of dollars, or they tell the players to do it themselves, which would be incongruous with how professional RL and pro sport as a whole operates. Neither are routine options that can just be dismissed in the way you seem happy to do, and neither are things that have any relevance to existing clubs where the vast majority of players and staff are already locally based.

2. Yes except SL clubs do not just sign Antipodean players and then give them the number for a travel agent, and they also do not sign 30 Antipodean players at once, not sure what part of that you're failing to grasp. If there was an existing setup in New York it wouldn't be a big issue to get a couple of players over there. The fact that literally everyone involved would need to permanently move there simultaneously is a problem if they don't have any sort of infrastructure or plan in place to facilitate that.

1. Neither are routine. Both are ridiculous extremes you have chosen. People will make their own decisions as to why you have chosen these ridiculous extremes, but i doubt anyone thinks its because you have a strong argument.

2. there are 28 million people in the New York metro area. Im pretty confident the infrastructure can handle this massive influx of 30 RL players without causing too much of a problem. 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

1. Neither are routine. Both are ridiculous extremes you have chosen. People will make their own decisions as to why you have chosen these ridiculous extremes, but i doubt anyone thinks its because you have a strong argument.

What is the other, less extreme option that I'm missing?

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

2. there are 28 million people in the New York metro area. Im pretty confident the infrastructure can handle this massive influx of 30 RL players without causing too much of a problem. 

Yes, I'm sure the infrastructure of the NYC metropolitan area can handle them, not sure what that has to do with anything mentioned in this thread? Do you think clubs don't need to have any sort of plan or infrastructure in place to facilitate the arrival of their overseas staff, that they just set a venue and date and expect everyone to show up on that date?

12 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Im glad you feel comfortable saying your a good Catholic,you might get hanged over here.

Back to the point ,in order to help scotchy and evil homer with therec chat about a potential New York franchise how are toronto going to house 30 players for the second half of this season ?

Its a challenge matching the Qatar World Cup and Moon Landing combined. Its a real mystery how the most diverse city on earth could accommodate 30 RL players. There are over 3m immigrants in New York, there just isnt the facility for 30 more. We should all give up on the idea. 

Just now, Evil Homer said:

1.What is the other, less extreme option that I'm missing?

2.Yes, I'm sure the infrastructure of the NYC metropolitan area can handle them, not sure what that has to do with anything mentioned in this thread? Do you think clubs don't need to have any sort of plan or infrastructure in place to facilitate the arrival of their overseas staff, that they just set a venue and date and expect everyone to show up on that date?

1. That they put them in touch with one of the many, many, many relocation companies which exist solely to help people emigrate. 37% of people in New York emigrated from a different country, they wont be the first looking to move there. We arent breaking new ground here buddy.

2. I do think the clubs need to have a plan and infrastructure in place to facilitate the arrival of their overseas staff. I dont think that is a difficult never mind insurmountable hurdle. 

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its a challenge matching the Qatar World Cup and Moon Landing combined. Its a real mystery how the most diverse city on earth could accommodate 30 RL players. There are over 3m immigrants in New York, there just isnt the facility for 30 more. We should all give up on the idea. 

Delicious simply delicious

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

1. That they put them in touch with one of the many, many, many relocation companies which exist solely to help people emigrate. 37% of people in New York emigrated from a different country, they wont be the first looking to move there. We arent breaking new ground here buddy.

So they do give them the number of a travel agent and ask them to do it themselves, which is literally one of the two options I posted that you said was a ridiculous extreme. And also extremely unusual for pro sport, I think many people would raise their eyebrows at that, but ok.

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

2. I do think the clubs need to have a plan and infrastructure in place to facilitate the arrival of their overseas staff. I dont think that is a difficult never mind insurmountable hurdle. 

It's not insurmountable but moving 30 families to a different continent is a logistical challenge even if you want to pretend it's not, it's certainly at least something that needs consideration and seemingly wasn't given any.

Edited by Evil Homer

40 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Pan Am Athletes Village probably...Hey...why do you want to hang me?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

1.So they do give them the number of a travel agent and ask them to do it themselves, which is literally one of the two options I posted that you said was a ridiculous extreme. And also extremely unusual for pro sport, I think many people would raise their eyebrows at that, but ok.

2.It's not insurmountable but moving 30 families to a different continent is a logistical challenge even if you want to pretend it's not, it's certainly at least something that needs consideration and seemingly wasn't given any.

1. No buddy. A travel agent and a relocation company are pretty different. Kind of like the difference between going on holiday and emigrating somewhere. Its also not extremely unusual. Its kind of their business. Businesses relocating high-value employees are pretty much their entire market.  Its a pretty well-established process.

2. Not really. You can call up a company and they will organise it all for you for a couple of grand.

A Beyonce Tour is a huge logistical challenge. An Olympics is a huge logistical challenge. Having 4 or 5 months to move thirty families is about a weeks work for a lazy admin assistant.

27 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Pan Am Athletes Village probably...Hey...why do you want to hang me?

does that help evil homer and scotcht to understand how it will work with a NY franchise ? hey im RC by birth so no problrm from me

13 minutes ago, jpmc said:

does that help evil homer and scotcht to understand how it will work with a NY franchise ? hey im RC by birth so no problrm from me

I'm not sure but there isn't any problem that can't usually be corrected with a proper plan and foresight...there is an oddity about Rugby League in Northern England in that the players seem to dislike any travel (short hop/skip/jumps over here seem likes arduous journeys over there) and homesickness....probably because it hasn't been a large part of the game before...if Rugby League wants to go big time they had better get over it like the other major sports have.  Traveling is part of the game if you want to go big/global.

Keep the faith!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I'm not sure but there isn't any problem that can't usually be corrected with a proper plan and foresight

Morning KM,

What are you doing putting this positive slant on stuff on this forum do you know about manure and flies?

Did you come to this forum by accident? Are you lost?  Were you looking for shelter from the storm? Or was it just directions to somewhere better?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Morning KM,

What are you doing putting this positive slant on stuff on this forum do you know about manure and flies?

Did you come to this forum by accident? Are you lost?  Were you looking for shelter from the storm? Or was it just directions to somewhere better?

Blown off course and landed....been feeling like Alice In Wonderland ever since.

Today is a great day, maple syrup is starting to flow and trees are tapped...love going into the bush and drinking the sap right out of the bucket...which i  will be doing in about 2 hours after my morning wakeup.  THE SYRUP IS FLOWING AGAIN...GOOD TIMES ARE HERE!

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

THE SYRUP IS FLOWING AGAIN...GOOD TIMES ARE HERE!

Is this a euphemism for something else km? 

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Is this a euphemism for something else km? 

NO!!!...the temps. are just right to start the harvest...gotta go...gotta get out there to harvest the bounty from my buddies Sugar Bush.

If money, funding and playing pool was no object the NA connection should be Toronto, Quebec, New York and Boston

Rivalry with each of Canada and America. English v French speakers in Canada and the New York/Boston rivalry in other sports is pretty intense.

Not seen Quebec mentioned but a state capital, on the East coast and the French speaking angle would help with marketing of games against Catalans and Toulouse.

• Like 1

still think Hamilton is a red herring and it'll be Montreal. The prospect of French players being recruited to fill out a team there is exciting...