Graham

Paul Gallen Record Running Metres

gallen-stats-2.jpg.3f036f37a5fca709639cd764de07a1f9.jpg

Cronulla Sharks Paul Gallen is on the verge of becoming the first player in NRL history to reach 50,000 career running metres.

According to NRL.com Stats, he has racked up a phenomenal 49,668 metres in his 304 career matches.

Remarkably, Gallen in 2015 became the first player to 40,000 run metres and nobody else has hit that milestone with second-placed Billy Slater on 39,187 metres. The Melbourne Storm veteran should cross 40,000m this year but would need an unlikely three to five more seasons to get to 50,000. 

The next seven players are retired, with Anthony Minichiello (39,013), Corey Parker (38,393) and Petero Civoniceva (36,962) the next best. The next active player after Slater is Gallen's former teammate Chris Heighington with 31,687m, who is suiting up for what is likely to be his last season in the Telstra Premiership with the Newcastle Knights.

So whatever figure the tireless Gallen racks up by the time he eventually retires, will be safe for a very long time.

Good achievement I suppose, but quite a meaningless stat.

Can't fault his effort and everything he did for the club, although he's been guilty at times of trying to do too much. He certainly deserves every penny of the money he's made... Hard-earned money.

I'm not sure you can call it a meaningless stat. The guy has delivered more metre gained than any other and by no small margin. In fact, in the history of the game, he has delivered 25% more metres than the player who has delivered the second most metres.

That is the definition of effort if you ask me.

7 hours ago, Vichyssoise said:

Good achievement I suppose, but quite a meaningless stat.

Can't fault his effort and everything he did for the club, although he's been guilty at times of trying to do too much. He certainly deserves every penny of the money he's made... Hard-earned money.

Forgot to quote you on my previous post :)

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I'm not sure you can call it a meaningless stat. The guy has delivered more metre gained than any other and by no small margin. In fact, in the history of the game, he has delivered 25% more metres than the player who has delivered the second most metres.

That is the definition of effort if you ask me.

Meaningless stat, but not meaningless achievement. Don't get me wrong. I thought the 2nd paragraph hinted as much. I apologise for not being clear enough.

However, I believe run metres in itself, and in isolation, is a misleading (and rather meaningless) stat as it is not necessarily a good indicator of a player's involvement. A player may run 120 metres with a couple of carries while another one needs 10-15 hit-ups in the middle to run as many meters. Same result stats wise, but the impact on the game might be vastly different.

I have the same problem with other stats, like tackles: Is a 1 on 1 tackle the same as a "3rd man in" tackle (for lack of a better term)? Numbers say 'yes'. But we all know the value of these tackles.

Anyway, well done Paul.

1 hour ago, Vichyssoise said:

Meaningless stat, but not meaningless achievement. Don't get me wrong. I thought the 2nd paragraph hinted as much. I apologise for not being clear enough.

However, I believe run metres in itself, and in isolation, is a misleading (and rather meaningless) stat as it is not necessarily a good indicator of a player's involvement. A player may run 120 metres with a couple of carries while another one needs 10-15 hit-ups in the middle to run as many meters. Same result stats wise, but the impact on the game might be vastly different.

I have the same problem with other stats, like tackles: Is a 1 on 1 tackle the same as a "3rd man in" tackle (for lack of a better term)? Numbers say 'yes'. But we all know the value of these tackles.

Anyway, well done Paul.

In day to day games, week on week stats, yes, I agree the stats may be unsubstantiated, but we are talking about a consistent career of over a decade. 

Just look at the names that have come close. As far as I’m concerned, it’s the stat of a champion, as much as the stat of the highest goal scorer, no matter how many were kicked from in front of the sticks

Hmmm well it did have a little bit of an "edge" there for a while so not really a fair stat in my opinion.

Edited by RabbitRhinoovOZ