Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

How much trouble are Catalans in?

Big trouble imo. Their only hope is if there’s no relegation at the end of this season.

How much trouble would you like them to be in?

Entirely depends how long they persist with McNamara. If they get rid of him before round 9-10 I reckon they could conceivably make the top 8. If they stick with him to the end they will be relegated and may not even make the MPG. I think the likely situation is they will wait until it's too late in the season to make the top 8, end up in the qualifiers but then win enough games to survive. That's contingent on them replacing McNamara with a competent coach BTW and not appointing Agar or someone.

23 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Entirely depends how long they persist with McNamara. If they get rid of him before round 9-10 I reckon they could conceivably make the top 8. If they stick with him to the end they will be relegated and may not even make the MPG. I think the likely situation is they will wait until it's too late in the season to make the top 8, end up in the qualifiers but then win enough games to survive. That's contingent on them replacing McNamara with a competent coach BTW and not appointing Agar or someone.

I can't see McNamara lasting the whole season and I wonder how much this job could further damage his reputation 

Edited by West Leeds Riviera

McNamara is coach so lots . Although you wouldn’t think it listening to the sky mob who keep telling us what great players they’ve got 

Having a decent coach would help too. Since McNamara took over they've only won two games, both against Leigh.

Unless they can win a game soon then McNamara  will get sacked. 

Sorry if I have missed this.

Is McNamara honestly the head coach????

Of the Catalan Dragons??

Can that clown even speak the language?????? (A word of it??)

I mean seriously.This is a joke... right?

Assistant coach MIGHT be reasonable.

MaIGHT.

If he is actually in charge... they are last.

3 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I can't see McNamara lasting the whole season and I wonder how much this job could further damage his reputation 

I said it was a strange job for him to take, considering his reputation and the amount of pressure this particular role would bring. He really should have thought better here. He won't get another crack if he fails this one.

Stick with McNamara and they will be in the bottom 4 for sure. From what I have seen of them since he came in they have been awful. There is enough talent there though for a decent coach to get them into the eights. Otherwise it will be the MPG for them again.

I suspect the club became an absolute basket case over the last 2 years. That's not gonna be fixed overnight, particularly when a world cup takes your players away for half the pre-season. Looks to me like he's slowly weeding out the slackers, and bringing through the French players. Any coach looking to find a genuine long-term fix for Catalans was never gonna be winning many games in February. At best, this will be a rebuilding year for them - if they can be challenging for the 8 by July, I think they'll be able to count the year as a success. I'm not sure if McNamara is the answer or not, but I think he's only just starting to clear the mess he inherited. Hopefully the next month or two will see improvement, and a few wins. If not, then we can start to judge.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I suspect the club became an absolute basket case over the last 2 years. That's not gonna be fixed overnight, particularly when a world cup takes your players away for half the pre-season. Looks to me like he's slowly weeding out the slackers, and bringing through the French players. Any coach looking to find a genuine long-term fix for Catalans was never gonna be winning many games in February. At best, this will be a rebuilding year for them - if they can be challenging for the 8 by July, I think they'll be able to count the year as a success. I'm not sure if McNamara is the answer or not, but I think he's only just starting to clear the mess he inherited. Hopefully the next month or two will see improvement, and a few wins. If not, then we can start to judge.

Catalans were 9th in SL when McNamara took over, since then they haven't won a game against SL opposition and barely scraped wins over Championship teams in the qualifiers. Don't give me any ###### about him inheriting a mess, the team was average before and became dramatically worse once McNamara was appointed. Which should be no surprise to anyone given his track record as a coach.

Edited by Evil Homer

I've never been a fan of McNamara as a coach but hoped he had improved after his stint in the NRL. I find it hard to be sure where the problem is. The Catalans weren't  doing well before he came and it's the same after. Their player acquisitions haven't been good for some time now. They dodged a bullet last year but...

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

Yeah makes sense they sacked the previous coach mid season because everything was more or less ok.

No it wasn't ok, they were 9th when they should be in the top 8. Now they are 12th, which clearly is much worse.

Edited by Evil Homer

8 hours ago, Celt said:

Here is a suggestion why not try and tempt the Ex French National coach to join the club as his assistant.

The McNamara Agar combination could then become the chuckle brothers of Rugby League.

• Haha 3

It’s too easy to blame it all on McNamara. Something is rotten at Catalans and the stables need mucking out.

As Ghost Crayfish says, it’s not an instant fix.

• Like 2

A few years ago, I think it may have been at a Grand Final, there was a tv clip which showed McNamara sat next to Stuart Pearce the football coach. Pearce was animated and appeared to be explaining to a seemingly bemused McNamara ( I think he was the England coach at the time) what was happening on the pitch. Maybe he still doesn’t understand what’s happening.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy

43 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s too easy to blame it all on McNamara. Something is rotten at Catalans and the stables need mucking out.

As Ghost Crayfish says, it’s not an instant fix.

Yes fair point . Does seem strange that so many players just seem to stall or regress there and nothing ever looks coherent , as coaches come n go

Walsh needs to go never been anywhere near his best after he broke his leg and simply doesn’t commit physically

they play better without him and yesterday was a better performance than any this season

worryingly there are no new half backs around unless they can tempt that lad back from saints which in my view would at least give them some organisation down the muddle that they lack now without a decent half back or aiton fully fit

as for the rest of the team some big efforts by they forwards but no direction means no chance the backs show a bit of spirit but not much ingenuity 

bird needs to get fit full stop

mcnamara was quoted as saying they had tried plans a b c and d by bill Arthur that’s a very poor coach if that’s true

all that and what should not be missed is that they only lost by 2 and to be fair the defence was soft out wide and they had enough chances to win it 

if they had won by two would there have been this debate? 

For me they are in trouble I expect another better display at Leeds but no win and then a purple patch next loss v giants on Easter Monday (I think?)

oddly someone like Danny brough sat in the pocket behind some of those forwards would likely work really well they lack a leader and Walsh or Albert aren’t that type of player gigot can’t lead from the back and bird needs to look in the mirror and come out of retirement 

forget the coach I don’t think he will be thee next year with quotes like that he hasn’t got a game plan no wonder they looked all adrift when they had good scoring opportunities if you don’t practice it it won’t happen when you need it 

I am loathe to say this but could Matty Smith on loan for 2-3 months be of benefit to them? At least he will control them around and give them a kicking game. It will also free up Albert and allow Bird to stop fannying around and go back into the pack. Walsh needs to run water for the rest of the year regardless.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Celt said:

Sorry if I have missed this.

Of the Catalan Dragons??

I mean seriously.This is a joke... right?

MaIGHT.

If he is actually in charge... they are last.

I'm fairly sure he does. Don't overpaid past it Aussies speak English?