Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Eastell

Is going to Australia worth it for super League teams?

So following defeats for all 3 teams  who travelled down to Australia, the question is, is it worth it? 

Teams have picked up injuries to key players and none have looked the sides they appeared before heading off. So for fans of the teams involved has it been worth it? I accept that Leeds did it as Champions but could they have played at Elland Road?

5 minutes ago, Andrew Eastell said:

I accept that Leeds did it as Champions but could they have played at Elland Road?

No,Melbourne didn't want to come to England.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Eastell said:

So following defeats for all 3 teams  who travelled down to Australia, the question is, is it worth it? 

Teams have picked up injuries to key players and none have looked the sides they appeared before heading off. So for fans of the teams involved has it been worth it? I accept that Leeds did it as Champions but could they have played at Elland Road?

Would it have been worth it for Melbourne to come all the way to Elland Road? We either want the WCC in the calendar or we don't. Last week was a great occasion regardless of the result.

The season is like forever. Leeds, Hull and Wigan don't even need to be playing well until the business end.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Eastell said:

Yes for the super league winners but no for the rest.

45 minutes ago, Andrew Eastell said:

Financially for Wigan it was, that was the main reason for going for Leneghan. 

43 minutes ago, Andrew Eastell said:

IMO the World Club Challenge should be played at a neutral venue such as USA, Dubai, China etc then both teams have to travel. 

Why it can't be arranged before the start of our SL season is beyond me, the SL and NRL seasons should be aligned somewhat and the WCC should be the first game

• Like 2

The injuries could have happened at Wigan v Hull if it was played in Wigan and the 3 teams losing away are not great shocks, with the possible exception of Leeds you could argue the home team would be favourite anyway.

I suppose the teams looked at it as a long term investment and the wisdom of it will be determined by whether it has a major impact on each clubs season rather than just the next game.

My opinion is that on the road games can be a good thing but I'm unsure whether taking them to Australia is, the WCC I'm a fan of but as others have said it may be better at a neutral venue

• Like 1

Injuries happen wherever you play, defeats happen regardless of circumstances.

We need more international exposure not less.

35 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

IMO the World Club Challenge should be played at a neutral venue such as USA, Dubai, China etc then both teams have to travel. 

Why it can't be arranged before the start of our SL season is beyond me, the SL and NRL seasons should be aligned somewhat and the WCC should be the first game

Makes you wonder why the guy behind the 2025 RLWC in the US and the proposed England v NZ test in Denver isn’t bidding for the game. Maybe play it in NY or Boston.

As stated above the injuries could have happened anywhere. As to the financial worth then I’m sure we’ll find that out if and when Wigan or Hull pursue something similar in the near future. The WCC has become a joke IMO. It’s all down to the RFL or the SL champions to organise things. I will bet my house that as of now nobody could tell me with any certainty where the 2019 WCC will be played and when it will be played. The date should be easy to organise, the hemisphere the game is played in should also be sorted. It’s just the actual venue that would be up in the air but I bet neither the date or which hemisphere are sorted yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Makes you wonder why the guy behind the 2025 RLWC in the US and the proposed England v NZ test in Denver isn’t bidding for the game. Maybe play it in NY or Boston.

Seeing as how the proposed England v NZ game in Denver is being treated why would the WC promoters want to get involved with RL full stop?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Seeing as how the proposed England v NZ game in Denver is being treated why would the WC promoters want to get involved with RL full stop?

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t see the 2025 RLWC taking place in the US.

Just now, walter sobchak said:

Agree. Said it many times it makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Neither can I. The leading and richest nation are showing no signs of any co-operation with the organisers and I can see the promoters backing out leaving the RFL to pick up the pieces.

6 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Agree. Said it many times it makes no sense.

It makes sense. We have to at least try and expand the game’s footprint. We have to break out of the regular routine of a good European WC followed by an apathetic Australian WC. NA is the next nut we need to at least attempt to crack. Trying and possibly failing is better than to never have tried at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It makes sense. We have to at least try and expand the game’s footprint. We have to break out of the regular routine of a good European WC followed by an apathetic Australian WC. NA is the next nut we need to at least attempt to crack. Trying and possibly failing is better than to never have tried at all.

failing the US would be of more use than a repeat of the last world cup.

• Like 2

It’s definitely worth the trip if done correctly.  

I flew out and attended all 3 games last weekend. The Melbourne game got some press, a decent crowd and seemed to be ‘talked about’. Despite a similar crowd for the double header in Sydney it was almost invisible with all the talk centred around the NRL crisis meeting taking place that week.

I chatted to some of the Leeds camp and it was very much apparent that they were the driving force behind the game, in fact despite my lack of love for the Rhinos the club came across incredibly well and forward looking in the whole trip.  No doubt that this game wouldn’t have happened without them pushing it.

With regards the Sydney games, 18.5k crowd for a game with no promotion was actually alright, it was a shame it was at ANZ which from chatting to locals many see as a stadium that is ‘killing RL’. You can see why. 18.5k in asmaller ground would have been great, felt lost in an 80k capacity.  

BUT, I think the idea of English teams going over can provide some pre-season excitement for RL starved Aussie fans - just needs to be better thought out and organised. If we locked in an alternating WCC or WCS every year I have no doubt it would build - even if we get hammered for next 5 years, stick with it, build tradition and I think it will be a great event.  It may also build interest in SL and start to get us some better overseas tv rights. 

Big Nige was at the Sydney game so maybe the involvement of more than just the local leagues may be coming .... or maybe he was just on a jolly.

Hull fans were magnificent by the way - a few Aussies near me said “I’ve never seen anything like this, they are all stood up singing together”!  All those that I saw definitely thought it was worth it ...

Edited by Odsal Outlaw
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Of Course it is.

It is for the NSW tourist industry. As long there are enough mainly wealthy baby boomers who will pay for the trip. The questions is, how many times would they pay for the same trip? And does it really increase the commercial revenues of the clubs involved? Or is it just a pre-season oddity for the NRL?

8 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Chances are that he knows that none of the teams involved have anywhere near the box-office appeal of RL's equivalent of the one rugby team which the general sports fan in the US has ever heard of (i.e. the All Blacks) playing the national team of another country known to those general sports fans.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ojx said:

It is for the NSW tourist industry. As long there are enough mainly wealthy baby boomers who will pay for the trip. The questions is, how many times would they pay for the same trip? And does it really increase the commercial revenues of the clubs involved? Or is it just a pre-season oddity for the NRL?

I think the answers to that questions is that people will do it a lot more than you think. And does it really increase commercial revenues? They wouldn't do it if it didnt.

I guess its a good experience for the players and officials of the clubs.... So yep its worth it from a wider perspective than the monetary value.

14 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

If this is said enough then those people who don't want it to happen will eventually get their wish.

"Is Australia worth it for Super League teams?"

No.  Its a good effort though and fits into the right mindset but no....too far and the cost (I know it was covered this time).

European efforts should be focused on Europe and the expanding market in NA...this is the future for Rugby League...also there seems to be an issue with a 'power struggle' with Australia.  Time to cut them loose and forge our own path forward...NA expansion is the key and needs to be the exclusive focus right now.

Good effort though but just misdirected and too far (both distance and financially).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Chances are that he knows that none of the teams involved have anywhere near the box-office appeal of RL's equivalent of the one rugby team which the general sports fan in the US has ever heard of (i.e. the All Blacks) playing the national team of another country known to those general sports fans.

If they can draw on the rich rugby  history of New Zealand well, why not?  Time to get to it.  Hope the game is marketed properly and is a big success.

• Like 1