Scubby

Denver NZ v England test is "certain" to go ahead

The NZ Heralds takes a complete back-flip on its nay say article from a few days ago

"The Kiwis' proposed test in Denver in June is certain to go ahead - and it could be the first of several for the New Zealand team in the United States. The Herald on Sunday understands that the deal to play the game has been signed, with both the New Zealand Rugby League and England's Rugby Football League agreeing terms with the match promoter. There could still be a late change of heart, but this is seen as highly unlikely. It's also believed that the Kiwis are being lined up for further matches in Denver in the coming years, provided the game this year meets expectations."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12001390

Potentially great news! Always thought that the Kiwis could be clever outside of the rugby world and piggy back the ABs. 

Still not so sure that this will get a full team agreement by NZ.  Too much going on with this nrl players union and welfare drive they have.

And they say that RL players don’t get to see much of the world. Most of the England players have probably spent more time away than at home if you consider Leeds, Wigan and Hull’s latest escapades.

The team that does proper altitude training will have a super big edge.

Great to hear, though i still have a horrible feeling that the Kiwi team that takes the field in Denver will look very different to the one that last took the field in the WC? 

Edited by EastLondonMike

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Great to hear, though i still have a horrible feeling that the Kiwi team that takes the field in Denver will look very different to the one that last took the field in the WC? 

And we know how good they were.

• Haha 3

Great to see common sense prevail.

Now get Wales v Ireland France v Jamaica usa v Canada organised add the to the Pacific tests sell them all as a package and market the hell out of international RL day

Just to add Fiji and italy will be looking for a game too, no reason that can't be held in Fiji.

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Cos you're an RL fan. 

And a miserable beggar lol. Don't worry Man of Kent there will be plenty of empty plastic seats for you to count! :D

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Leaving aside there will be only three months lead in, why Denver? And why a 75k stadium?

If the NRL and RLPA hadn't ###### about there would have been a 6 month lead-in. This game was pitched at the beginning of November. RL has a habit of stalling to the extent we hope it will fall on its ######. It actually ends up falling on its ###### because we stall so much. The 4N in 2016 being a case in point.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If the NRL and RLPA hadn't ###### about there would have been a 6 month lead-in. This game was pitched at the beginning of November. RL has a habit of stalling to the extent we hope it will fall on its ######. It actually ends up falling on its ###### because we stall so much. The 4N in 2016 being a case in point.

Precisely.  Everything should have been signed and settled in time to launch a promotional campaign right after the Super Bowl to get gridiron fans interested while the iron was still hot instead of giving it time to cool.

It's more clear all the time that small-time thinking within the game has held it back far more over the years than RU opposition ever did.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It's for this same reason, I'm having second thoughts about going (and unsure I can still get that time off work). I don't want to spend a load of money if it's going to be an anti-climax. I suppose we should trust in the promoter but it does feel very last minute and still unsure if we'll get the commitment from all parties...................really do fear it could be a damp squib

• Like 1

Still don't believe it will go through, but why do they always have to leave everything until the last minute? How do they expect fans to travel over with such short notice? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

Still don't believe it will go through, but why do they always have to leave everything until the last minute? How do they expect fans to travel over with such short notice? 

Once again - its not the RLIFs fault, or the RFLs; the delay is down to the NRL and RLPA kicking top a fuss about players travelling 

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Leaving aside there will be only three months lead in, why Denver? And why a 75k stadium?

Presumably because the people using it as a proof of concept for the 2025 World Cup think that it is a good idea. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It's for this same reason, I'm having second thoughts about going (and unsure I can still get that time off work). I don't want to spend a load of money if it's going to be an anti-climax. I suppose we should trust in the promoter but it does feel very last minute and still unsure if we'll get the commitment from all parties...................really do fear it could be a damp squib

Is there a direct flight from the UK?

31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Is there a direct flight from the UK?

From London (Heathrow, I assume).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Still not so sure that this will get a full team agreement by NZ.  

After the WC, is that a bad thing?

I saw the article when it first came out but didn’t mention it here. It says it is certain to go ahead then suggests there could be a late change of heart. Also no source quoted. I’m a big fan of this going ahead but I have my doubts. I wonder why the NZH is so upbeat? They must have a mole somewhere in the right place.

20 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Then they should just announce it already.

I agree totally. Who gives a fig if one or two NRL clubs spit the dummy out and withhold a few NZ players. There is more damage to the international game not doing it than doing it. It will still be a great match of high class sport and hopefully the start of many events leading into 2025.

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

After the WC, is that a bad thing?

I saw the article when it first came out but didn’t mention it here. It says it is certain to go ahead then suggests there could be a late change of heart. Also no source quoted. I’m a big fan of this going ahead but I have my doubts. I wonder why the NZH is so upbeat? They must have a mole somewhere in the right place.

They were upbeat after writing an article slagging it off a few days ago. I reckon the NZRL have told them it is signed off.

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They were upbeat after writing an article slagging it off a few days ago. I reckon the NZRL have told them it is signed off.

It must something like that for such a u-turn. I hope it’s true as the NZRL could do with the money, not to mention the need for such games in the US with a WC in the not too distant future in that nation.

• Like 1